Overview mode

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Originally Posted by landale<br />
I have only used the second gen with lollipop but most seem to feel battery life is improved with it.
<br />
So I just got my new Moto X in the mail from FedEx, I'm loving it with lollipop on it so far, it's interesting though with the battery power and multi tasking or the overview mode, my battery is pretty good how many cards do you have in your overview though? Because I thought that the more cars meant more battery consumption but it doesn't seem like that so far... Thank you for your response.<br/>

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I think the only way to delete a card in the recent apps list is swiping them one by one. But don't worry, being in the overview doesn't necessarily means that they are running in the background. That could be bad since it seems that the list is unlimited.

They aren't deleted even if you reboot your phone. And if you have the patience to swipe one by one until you have just a couple, Android will repopulate the overview (in a randomly way it seems!).

You can take out that list the chrome tabs and switch between them in the browser as before the update. Go to Chrome settings and uncheck the "merge apps & tabs" option.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I think the only way to delete a card in the recent apps list is swiping them one by one. But don't worry, being in the overview doesn't necessarily means that they are running in the background. That could be bad since it seems that the list is unlimited.

They aren't deleted even if you reboot your phone. And if you have the patience to swipe one by one until you have just a couple, Android will repopulate the overview (in a randomly way it seems!).

You can take out that list the chrome tabs and switch between them in the browser as before the update. Go to Chrome settings and uncheck the "merge apps & tabs" option.
Hey there Javier, thank you so much for your comments. I mean, don't get me wrong I'm an Android your head and I love the offer Nissim. But we were always taught that more multitasking recent applications means more RAM is being used. But you're right its not called a recent apps list anymore it's cold the overview mode and how is every single thing that the phone is doing. Lol. It takes some getting used to I'm not going to lie. And yes I turn my screen brightness down till like 10 or 20 percent can still see the screen just fine of course, I'm getting like 23 hours of battery per charge which is insane under normal minor usage. Is that what you found?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Yes, lollipop improved the battery life for my phone, as well. And in general the phone run faster. These improvements are related to the new runtime (ART).

Don't worry too much about RAM management, I think lollipop is doing a better job than kitkat.

Thanks for your comments.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
If you're curious about RAM and the processes running in your phone try this. Go to settings - apps - swipe left to see the "running" tab. There it shows the RAM usage and a list of processes. You can have more details downloading some monitoring app from the Play Store but I think that's just necessary if you're having problems.

For battery stats you can try Gsam. It's free and I like it more than the stock battery monitor. That's one of the things I don't like so much after Lollipop.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
If you're curious about RAM and the processes running in your phone try this. Go to settings - apps - swipe left to see the "running" tab. There it shows the RAM usage and a list of processes. You can have more details downloading some monitoring app from the Play Store but I think that's just necessary if you're having problems.

For battery stats you can try Gsam. It's free and I like it more than the stock battery monitor. That's one of the things I don't like so much after Lollipop.
You know something Javier, appreciate comments. Give me my first generation moto x backs on kit kat 4.4.3 was a lovely, great, amazing fun too and and it would get an average of 12 to 13 hours of battery juice you ever take per charge. The one thing that I did do though was whenever I was in an application and then hit the home button to go back to the home screen, I was always at the multitasking button to switch out of that application because it became so anal about. On my recent apps to conserve battery power. Regardless of whether that actually works or not if you know what I mean. Opening granted lollipop 5.0 is such a different operating system I realize that but I'm still in the KitKat mentality so to speak you know what I mean? Thanks again for your help. Mega said my second in Moto X and build quality, speakers, screen quality, battery life, memory management, everything is so new to me still :)