How do I delete contacts on my Moto X Play?

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
moto x play contact list

deleted contacts continue to appear on the contact list without any data. am unable to purge these from the contact list. can anyone suggest a fix?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: moto x play contact list

Welcome to Android Central! Are these contacts from your Google account, the local Phone account, or some other account?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Does the phone let you delete the contacts, only to see them come back again? Or does it not even let you delete them?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Do you have any other contacts saved to the Phone account that are important? If not, go to Settings>Apps>All, select Contacts and/or Contacts Storage, and Clear Cache/Data. Then open Contacts again, and wait a few seconds for it to sync with your Google Contacts again. Are those annoying contacts still there?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Oh sorry. Go to Settings>Apps, tap Menu>Show System, and look for Contacts and/or Contacts Storage, then tap Storage, and then Clear Cache and Clear Data there.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are these contacts that you originally entered, or contacts that came with the phone (like customer service contact numbers for Motorola or your carrier)? If so, they're probably baked into the system, and you can't get rid of them.

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
These are contacts that I entered after I got the phone. It is strange because not all contacts that I delete come back. There are half a dozen contacts which somehow created duplicates and I tried to clean up using duplicate remover app which didnt work, It is these duplicates are proving to be stubborn.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Does your phone have an option to save contacts to the SIM card (instead of the local Phone account)? I wonder if these contacts are somehow on the SIM.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Please clarify--are these reappearing contacts saved to your Google account, or are they on the local Phone account? You had mentioned the "phone contacts" earlier on, and I took this to mean that those contacts were saved to the local Phone account (which doesn't sync to your Google account).

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
These are contacts that were originally saved to the phone account when the phone had the earlier android version (lollipop). Recently, I have upgratded to marshmellow and now my new contacts are auto synched to google account. This problem of duplicate contacts had occured when the was on lollipop. So I dont think the upgrade caused the problem. Does my old phone contacts now get reflected on the google account?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Phone account contacts wouldn't get synced to your Google account unless you exported them to a vcf file and then imported them into your Google account (or unless you used some 3rd party app to sync).

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
No. These contacts do not appear on the Google account. I tried your suggestion of wiping the system cache partion by followig the link you provided, but was unable to do so. I might go for a factory reset after giving it some more thought. Will let u know. Thanks for all your help Diddy. Have a happy new year.