Question How do I stop Autofill in Gmail App on Android 13 suggesting incorrect emails

LarsPorsena

Oct 5, 2023
Visit site
My Gmail app keeps suggesting incorrect email addresses for some recipients. These are people in my Contacts, and the suggestion from Autofill is not the address in my contacts. If I type in 'Tim', I have three suggestions for one contact, the first two are wrong and the third one is correct. In between these three autofill suggestions are one person I know (so that is a useful suggestion) and two that I don't know (so that is not a useful suggestion).

Please see attachment for screenshot annotations and my comments.

How do I get rid of the suggestions that are simply wrong, and also the ones I don't want?

I also had this problem in Gmail on my Windows laptop, but I have been able to delete them from there. I deleted them by hovering the mouse over the circle with the letter in it, waiting for a pop up and then adding the suggestion to my Contacts. Then I deleted it from my Contacts and it is not longer suggested. But I don't seem to be able to do this in Android.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Android Email Autofill.png
    Android Email Autofill.png
    306.9 KB · Views: 8

LarsPorsena

Oct 5, 2023
Visit site
I have made some progress with this. Some of the suggestions seem to come my 'other contacts' in
contacts.google.com/other?hl=en

I have edited this in my google account and deleted all of the unnecessary contacts, and also switched off
Create contacts for auto-complete

I can see that every email I have ever sent creates an entry for this list and there were a couple of the auto suggested Tim's I posted above. However the incorrect email addresses I have found troublesome were not there. Also the suggestions are still being made in Android. So there seems to be a sync issue.

Last edited:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TSFDeymos