Moto x play. SD card nightmare

janesy01

Oct 31, 2016
Visit site
Hi all first post. Hate my moto x play with a passion .
Started out fine until the storage capacity was reached on the phone. Got an SD card and ran it as external storage for a little while. But it started crashing the phone. So I formatted the card for internal storage. That was my major mistake. Now for months my phone stops reading the SD card numerous times a day. And when it does this, if the phone is left untouched it reboots constantly every 6 minutes and 30 seconds exactly .
Problem is I can't do anything with this card because the memory is larger than my phone can handle, and it's not readable by a PC now. So when it crashes I can only re insert it into the phone until it decides to recognize it again. Or format the card.
I am on my third new card using different brands. I have also tried numerous cards around the house with the same results.

This is not an SD card issue. It is definitely the phone. I have deleted all apps. At this point I only have pics and music on my phone, all apps when loaded have to be transfered back to internal memory, or the phone crashes.

So my provider wants me to do a full reboot and then they want to track it for a week to see if they can see a problem. I already know where this is going, but I'm over a barrel.

If I do a full backup, then wipe the phone. On restart, will it recognize the SD card or will it demand it be formatted again. If it needs to be formatted again, I'll loose everything, yet again .

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Unfortunately, this is one of the major drawbacks of Adoptable Storage. Although it sounds good in theory, in practice it can be glitchy, sometimes due to the generally lower reliability of SD memory, and sometimes due to glitchy implementation of this Android feature by the phone manufacturer.

I don't have a good direct solution for you, but let me ask you this -- what is pushing your phone's storage to the limit? Is it the quantity/size of installed apps, or is it saved media (photos, videos, music)? If it's media, then I would strongly recommend making use of cloud solutions like Google Photos and Google Play Music. Keeping media in the cloud can significantly free up your storage, and will still allow you to temporarily download certain files for offline use. If it's apps, then ask yourself how many of your installed apps you actually use on a regular basis. Uninstall the ones that you never or rarely use.

If you haven't already tried it, wipe the system cache partition, which won't erase any personal data: https://motorola-global-en-aus.cust...prod_answer_detail/a_id/106533/p/30,6720,9392