6.0 Marshmallow: MicroSD card users - will you use adoptable storage?

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: Marshmallow: MicroSD card users - will you use adoptable storage?

I have a 32gb Pure (okay but should have sprung for the 64gb) with a 64gb SanDisk card. I'm using the card as portable storage now and really don't plan to do otherwise with Marshmallow.

Posted via the Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Nope. I think what they did was smart, but still don't trust microSD cards and won't use them.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Nope. I think what they did was smart, but still don't trust microSD cards and won't use them.
I agree with using for apps, but for media I have used since the G1 and have no issues with microsd. I did have internal flash corrupt on my S4 though. Got a 200gb in the MXPE and works great in exfat format.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Funny, after straying to iphones not having a microsd slot is a deal breaker for me. Then again I have been using flash memory all along since they appeared in one form or another. I even used the micro drives.

Yeah, I go completely the other direction. I was glad Samsung moved away from them and disappointed that Moto returned to using them. But it's all gravy, MM fixes a LOT of what was wrong with them.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site

I was glad Samsung moved away from them and disappointed that Moto returned to using them.

Why is it disappointing? Doesn't affect the phone's dimensions and the Moto X has the same internal storage options available (up to 64gb) as last year without an SD slot. You don't have to use it.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Why is it disappointing? Doesn't affect the phone's dimensions and the Moto X has the same internal storage options available (up to 64gb) as last year without an SD slot. You don't have to use it.

Opportunity cost. It took time and money to engineer it from a physical standpoint, it took time and money to create the software and it takes time and money for every software update that they decide to push (prior to MM) for coding around it. Moto made some pretty deliberate decisions on the feature set, etc. in order to hit some specific price points. My preference (not shared by many here) is for them to not include this feature in favor of either having more time and money available to speed up software updates and/or to spend on better features or quality control, etc.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site

I thought there was already better built in support for SD cards baked into Android so it would be handled more consistently between manufacturers.

I know in earlier versions HTC and Samsung all had their own way of implementing external storage. Made it difficult for app developers to access.

anon(71309)

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site

I won't be using adoptable storage, just portable. I have the 32gig version and a 64gig Samsung Class 10 Pro+ something-or-other card that is supposed to get up to 90megs/sec read (haven't done a test in the phone yet).

I had a scare the other day that reinforced my decision not to use adoptable storage: my phone decided to declare the SD card corrupt. It wasn't until I took the card out, did the old trick of running scandisk on the card (which found no errors, and was easily browsed in the computer). I put the card back into the phone, and it still didn't want to read the card until I went into the settings and remounted the card.

The SD card isn't the only point of failure in this chain.

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

Personally I never use one and really don't need to. I always get the largest internal memory/storage available which has always been enough for me. I simply do not trust these little cards. There are so many horror stories all across the internet on how people have lost irreplaceable pictures stored on them. Most people now use the cloud as a backup for their cards. I just go straight to the cloud. Same issue with using them under MM as part of the internal storage to hold apps. One failed card equals a mess! I see them going the way of the floppy disk very soon. Just a matter of time. Did having one on the Pure increase sales? Who knows for sure without a controlled accurate poll. Could the money have been spent on a fingerprint reader, or FM radio receiver? Sure. Would any of those items have had any real effect on sales? Who knows? I bought the Pure because it is CARRIER FREE! I think that is it's best selling feature hands down, with price being next, and then Moto's built in features.

TenshiNo

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site

The problem with SD Cards (historically) is that they are formatted using the FAT32 file system, which has been around for two decades, because that made them universally readable by just about anything out there. The problem is that FAT32 does not support *any* file permissions, so it's the wild west and any app could do anything it wanted with any file. The problem comes in when one app modifies another app's file(s) in an attempt to "trick" the other app into doing something "bad". Or when badly written apps store sensitive data (say, your bank acct info) on the SD Card where any other app could read it.

With Android 4.4, Google changed the way SDCards were handled so that apps could only write to pre-determined folder paths on the SDCard, and only using a special API which forced the app to define the type of data that was being read/written. That way you don't have an app "accidentally" executing code because it was trying to read an MP3. The stops the first problem listed above, which closed a fairly major security whole within Android.

With Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) Google has finally "fixed" the issue for real. You can continue to use your SDCard as a standard SDCard, but only certain file types can be saved (so apps can't misbehave) or you can choose to integrate it with the device's internal storage. If you choose to integrate it with the device's internal storage, it will be formatted using a Linux-based file-system (like ext4) that supports the same file-level permissions as the device's internal storage (which is already formatted with that file-system). Anything that gets stored on the card will be accessible using the MTP interface when plugging in your phone, but will not necessarily be accessible if you took the SDCard out of the phone and stuck it in an SDCard reader. This is a combination of Windows PC's not being able to read ext4 (or whatever file-system they use) and the file-level permissions which define "who" is allowed to access what file(s).

This is probably the best way that Google could have possibly implemented SDCard support. It still allows the flexibility of extending your device's internal storage, without opening up security holes by having a completely unregulated file-system in the device. Even Microsoft abandoned FAT32 more than a decade ago, for the same reason: it is impossible to have good security on any system that stores data without any kind of permission model.

And to anyone concerned about increased hardware/development costs associated with including an SDCard slot, the fact that Google has made this change means that Samsung/HTC/Moto/etc no longer have to try and build their own systems to deal with this security vulnerability, so that should be a non-issue. The hardware itself wouldn't cost an OEM more than $1 per device, and doing trace mapping on the board to support the slot is something that only has to be done once when initially designing the device.

Hendry775

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site

The problem with SD Cards (historically) is that they are formatted using the FAT32 file system, which has been around for two decades, because that made them universally readable by just about anything out there. The problem is that FAT32 does not support *any* file permissions, so it's the wild west and any app could do anything it wanted with any file. The problem comes in when one app modifies another app's file(s) in an attempt to "trick" the other app into doing something "bad". Or when badly written apps store sensitive data (say, your bank acct info) on the SD Card where any other app could read it.

With Android 4.4, Google changed the way SDCards were handled so that apps could only write to pre-determined folder paths on the SDCard, and only using a special API which forced the app to define the type of data that was being read/written. That way you don't have an app "accidentally" executing code because it was trying to read an MP3. The stops the first problem listed above, which closed a fairly major security whole within Android.

With Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) Google has finally "fixed" the issue for real. You can continue to use your SDCard as a standard SDCard, but only certain file types can be saved (so apps can't misbehave) or you can choose to integrate it with the device's internal storage. If you choose to integrate it with the device's internal storage, it will be formatted using a Linux-based file-system (like ext4) that supports the same file-level permissions as the device's internal storage (which is already formatted with that file-system). Anything that gets stored on the card will be accessible using the MTP interface when plugging in your phone, but will not necessarily be accessible if you took the SDCard out of the phone and stuck it in an SDCard reader. This is a combination of Windows PC's not being able to read ext4 (or whatever file-system they use) and the file-level permissions which define "who" is allowed to access what file(s).

This is probably the best way that Google could have possibly implemented SDCard support. It still allows the flexibility of extending your device's internal storage, without opening up security holes by having a completely unregulated file-system in the device. Even Microsoft abandoned FAT32 more than a decade ago, for the same reason: it is impossible to have good security on any system that stores data without any kind of permission model.

And to anyone concerned about increased hardware/development costs associated with including an SDCard slot, the fact that Google has made this change means that Samsung/HTC/Moto/etc no longer have to try and build their own systems to deal with this security vulnerability, so that should be a non-issue. The hardware itself wouldn't cost an OEM more than $1 per device, and doing trace mapping on the board to support the slot is something that only has to be done once when initially designing the device.

Well said, thanks for the information!

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Well said, thanks for the information!

Historically is correct, though exfat works fine with Lollipop on up and that is what cards are formatted in now. Fat32 is not a good option with Lollipop and Marshmallow. Also does not handle large files.

travaz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

I have a 64GB Pure and only use the SD card (Sony Class 10 64 GB ) for Media. When I travel I want the option of taking the card from my phone(use Phone for Music) and putting it in my Tablet to watch a Movie on the bigger screen. So I will stay Portable

ManiacalMF

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

So what are the definitive pros and cons to using the adoptable storage? Would you be able to sideload apps? Would you be able to take that adoptable storage card and put it in a different device (that also presumably has Marshmallow installed)?, etc. Can someone make a list of the pros and cons?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

So what are the definitive pros and cons to using the adoptable storage? Would you be able to sideload apps? Would you be able to take that adoptable storage card and put it in a different device (that also presumably has Marshmallow installed)?, etc. Can someone make a list of the pros and cons?

The card would be tied to the specific device you formatted it in and would be unusable in all other devices. The adoptable storage basically "becomes" additional internal storage, so everything you can do with internal storage can be done with the sd card at that point.

Repr1sal

Nov 26, 2015
Visit site

Im going internal. Cheaped out and got the 16gb version in anticipation of M implememting this feature. Plus the sim/sd hatch feels like something will break eventually....its just so delicate. Also the hatch isnt accesible with my supcase.

n8prkr

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site

It just seems too affordable to be really good. I'm trying to get the most bang for my buck.

Westiemom

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site

Im going internal. Cheaped out and got the 16gb version in anticipation of M implememting this feature. Plus the sim/sd hatch feels like something will break eventually....its just so delicate. Also the hatch isnt accesible with my supcase.

I did the same thing, probably not that well thought out considering the cost of a top quality SD card - should of paid the $50 extra to go at least 32GB, but oh well.
I got a SanDisk Extreme that should be fine becoming permanent internal storage, or so I'm hoping...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty