Internal Storage Folders Show "Empty"

Laineyc

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
On my unrooted phone, I attempted to move a downloaded ringtone to the "ringtones" folder. I never could get it to work, tried ES File Manager and the Moto File Manager and I must have done something wrong. I connected the phone to my PC via USB to look at the files and folders.First I removed the SD card, so as not to confuse the issue. Looking in "internal storage" the Music folder is empty, the Audio folder is empty, the Notifications folder has only 1 notification tone showing. I disconnected the phone. On the phone, under Settings, Sound & Notification, i selected Phone ringtone. it asks "complete action using Media Storage" or "use a different app.". I selected Media Storage "just once" and it shows only the stock ringtones and notifications.
I've cleared the cache and uninstalled the ES File Manager thinking maybe it was that app. Do I need to do a factory reset? Could I somehow have deleted the audio and music files? I feel very dumb right now....

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you certain you moved the ringtone file to the Ringtones directory on Internal Storage? Could that directory have been on the SD card instead?

Using the Moto File Manager, go to the /storage/emulated/0/Ringtones directory (it might also be called /storage/sdcard0/Ringtones), which is the full directory path for the Internal Storage ringtones directory, and see if the files are there.

Laineyc

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Are you certain you moved the ringtone file to the Ringtones directory on Internal Storage? Could that directory have been on the SD card instead?

Using the Moto File Manager, go to the /storage/emulated/0/Ringtones directory (it might also be called /storage/sdcard0/Ringtones), which is the full directory path for the Internal Storage ringtones directory, and see if the files are there.

I see internal storage/categories/then folders listed alphabetically. Audio shows (0), ringtones shows (1). SD card not in. I tried to attach a screenshot but don't see that option.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Try connecting the phone to your computer via USB (if you have a PC), and use Windows Explorer to move the downloaded ringtone file from the Download directory to the Ringtones directory. Does that make a difference?

If you're using the mobile browser AC forums site, that doesn't have the functionality to post screenshots. You have to use either the desktop site or one of the apps.

Laineyc

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I did that, and I can move the downloaded file to the Ringtone folder. Then that is the only file in the Ringtone folder. Shouldn't all of them (including the stock ones) be in there? The Audio folder is empty as is the Notifications folder. The SD card storage does't seem to have any audio files at all.
Thank you for your responses, by the way.
I wonder if I somehow deleted something while I was trying to copy and paste using the File Manager. And if so, should I do a factory reset to get everything back the way it should be?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The stock tones are not located in that directory -- they're in a protected system directory that you can't access. So I think your system is acting normally.