Moto X: Anybody else want a dedicated thread for rooting?

Erick Newman

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Yea but you can always change your recovery that's really easy. Im so glad to see that nightly up there you have no idea.

Posted via Android Central App

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Re: Anybody else want a dedicated thread for rooting?

Link works fine for me.

I gotta stop getting involved with this pissing contest you seem to be keen on. It is not the actual link failing, it was the data defined therein. Didn't we have this out over the NHS thing? You take things way too literally. I am not trying to "get at you," I am just passing comments on things I like, things I don't like, things I want or things I would like an explanation for/of. Lighten up.

The link explains how to ROOT when you have an unlocked bootloader. It isn't about installing a different ROM.

...and my original statement in this thread was "I would be more interested in a one-click Cyanogenmod link specifically for the X." That's why I went looking for instructions and that's also why I found the XDA stuff lacked a lot of accurate detail. Moot point now that there is a CM option for the X being worked on again.

Fini.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

I gotta stop getting involved with this pissing contest you seem to be keen on.
wow what a rude a44 comment. You aren't a poster who even stands out in my mind, but obviously, I am to you, lol!

It is not the actual link failing, it was the data defined therein. Didn't we have this out over the NHS thing? You take things way too literally.
You have trouble conveying thoughts properly in written form, lol! Your post did not say what you are claiming it said on this thread or on that other thread.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

...and my original statement in this thread was "I would be more interested in a one-click Cyanogenmod link specifically for the X." That's why I went looking for instructions and that's also why I found the XDA stuff lacked a lot of accurate detail. Moot point now that there is a CM option for the X being worked on again.
My first post wasn't to you. Do you think everyone here is talking only to you? Do you think people on your TV are talking to you, too? LOL!

The XDA post did not lack any detail at all about rooting your phone with an unlockable bootloader. Nor was it inaccurate. If you feel it was inaccurate, post what was wrong.

Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Let's keep discussion clean. If you disagree with a comment then respond politely or don't reply at all. If something needs moderator attention then report the post and let us step in.

Thanks,
Paul
Moderator Team Leader @Android Central

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

STC09

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Is xda a sister site to AC or something? A link is one thing but why would you want to drive traffic to xda when this is supposed to be Android Central?

As a long time subscriber, I'd rather come here for a quick answer on the easiest way to root a non-dev X than waste time wandering around elsewhere.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Is xda a sister site to AC or something? A link is one thing but why would you want to drive traffic to xda when this is supposed to be Android Central?
Many of us post in both forums. As for driving traffic, I don't work here or there nor do I receive any of the profits from this site or XDA. I could care less where people post. I am giving out info on my own time and will give it out as I see fit. It was easier for me to link to a post than to copy and paste the content and repost it here. I would have had to remake the links and that was too much effort.

As a long time subscriber, I'd rather come here for a quick answer on the easiest way to root a non-dev X than waste time wandering around elsewhere.
Feel free to use this site as you please and I will do the same. The posters on XDA have far, far, far more experience with rooting and ROMing than any other site on the internet that I have found. They are an invaluable resource to those of us who tinker with our phones and AC's resources for that don't compare.

I do like AC's format better, and this forum has more info on phone deals.

Also, the guy who invented the way to root a non-dev ed X posted it on XDA so that is where you would naturally go to get the info unless someone here wants to summarize his method.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
No AC is not affiliated with XDA.

Your free to post and visit where you like. Many try our competing forums, but I think when it comes down to it more prefer the treatment and respect they get at AC in the long run.

As for driving traffic to XDA, we watch for that and if someone is constantly pushing people to a competing forum then we deal with as necessary. We appreciate our members and like them to stay here :)

Paul
Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central.

STC09

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
My comment was directed toward AC and the lack of rooting info, not aimed at any particular poster.

With my OG Droid and GNex, there were great resources here and no need to go elsewhere. That's not the case with the X, to my surprise; whether that's to do with lesser dev support or people simply moving away from AC, I don't know. The other forums I read here are for mature tech, like the old N7, where numbers are falling off naturally, so it's hard to gauge.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
My comment was directed toward AC and the lack of rooting info, not aimed at any particular poster.

With my OG Droid and GNex, there were great resources here and no need to go elsewhere. That's not the case with the X, to my surprise; whether that's to do with lesser dev support or people simply moving away from AC, I don't know. The other forums I read here are for mature tech, like the old N7, where numbers are falling off naturally, so it's hard to gauge.
No, its just two different experiences and purposes. XDA is good for rooting info, AC isn't as much about that, but there are more interesting and usually more mature conversation to be had here.

I don't think a root section is necessary for the Moto X here either, I don't think the section would have much activity, that's what XDA is for.

The Moto X is the first Android phone I ever had that I use consistently as a daily driver without root. That may change if touchless control feature become available for non-Moto X. I think it make more sense for Nexus phones and Google Play devices to have root section, it's more synonymous with those devices and they don't lose warranty for rooting or brick as easily. I don't think Moto X need to have it, it's much easier to brick.

Last edited:

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
With my OG Droid and GNex, there were great resources here and no need to go elsewhere.
both had easily unlockable bootloaders that made rooting easy. The Moto X that is the case only for the Dev Eds or those willing to lose their warranty. And for Verizon and ATT, only the Dev Eds. For those with locked bootloaders that can't be unlocked or people don't want to lose their warranty, you need to find an exploit. The only guy who did that posted his exploit on XDA.

No one had to do anything like that for the OG Droid or the GNex.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I don't think a root section is necessary for the Moto X here either, I don't think the section would have much activity, that's what XDA is for.

The Moto X is the first Android phone I ever had that I use consistently as a daily driver without root. That may change if touchless control feature become available for non-Moto X. I think it make more sense for Nexus phones and Google Play devices to have root section, it's more synonymous with those devices and they don't lose warranty for rooting or brick as easily. I don't think Moto X need to have it, it's much easier to brick.
Yeah, I can't see ROMing if you lose touchless controls or Motorola assist. Those 2 features make the Moto X what it is.

So given that the Moto X is stock android+, most people don't want to root because they already have a stock android experience on the Moto X and they would lose the plus features if they ROMed.

I rooted to get free WiFi tether on Verizon. If you are not on an UDP or not on Verizon, it is not a reason to root for you.

yof

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Is it possible to root and change roms on a republicwireless moto x with a locked bootloader? Or does it have to be unlocked to root and when it does, changing the rom will it affect the RW software?

Or is there anyway to get that feature onto that specific rom when after rooting even locked or unlocked?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty