Please explain rooting

tmann202

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Meant to enclose a screenshot of customizing that only root can bring.

Note the color, and centered clock, and circle battery icon.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

I gotta say that those seem like very minor customizations for the effort/risk (I assume) of rooting a phone.

Out of curiosity, what are people's favorite things that they can do only with rooting (probably could be a separate thread)?

SmithlandCart

Banned
Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Out of curiosity, what are people's favorite things that they can do only with rooting (probably could be a separate thread)?

1) Free WiFi tether
2) Remove ads from apps
3) Nandroid backups
4) Customizations without using launchers as launchers can slow performance
5) Custom ROMs/kernels (if you have an unlocked bootloader)
6) Remove carrier bloatware to free up internal storage

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I gotta say that those seem like very minor customizations for the effort/risk (I assume) of rooting a phone.

Rooted phone, yes. Risk...well, yes, always a little risk. To each their own, but the same can be said about engines and trying to install a different cylinder head.

cappy718

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
When it comes down to it. I'm pretty happy with Nova prime or action launcher. And I don't know if I have the guts/knowledge that I used to when it comes to stuff like this. Like I said... Only reason I went with dev ed was cuz it was the only one I could get in the cart on cyber Monday... And i liked the colors. I did think the woven white back would have texture to it... Alas it's slick and smooth... At least it's not shinny. Lol

Posted via my Moto X DE

SmithlandCart

Banned
Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
When it comes down to it. I'm pretty happy with Nova prime or action launcher.
Nova Launcher slows my Moto X down.

And I don't know if I have the guts/knowledge that I used to when it comes to stuff like this.
Takes 10 minutes once you are unlocked. Flash TWRP and then install SuperSU. Make a nandroid and you are rooted and backed up.

If you are going to have to suffer with the laser jet printed on woven back, at least you should get free WiFi tethering to compensate you.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
For me, I notice no difference running Nova as opposed to the stock launcher. But to each their own.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
+1 on the Nandroids. Why that isn't a basic feature in stock recoveries I will never understand....
That would be a big security risk and Google would have to face scrutiny from industry and media. You don't want people taking your phone and stealing all your data, especially when there are trade secrets. They would have to totally rework recovery to implement password and encryption features. Custom recovery is very insecure since they allow full root access to phones and have no password required (except when storage is encrypted, but that only prevent access to /data partition, not /system partition and other ones).

One way they may be able to implement it, would have the backup function within Android OS itself and required a strong password. Therefore it would required logging into Google account and using the Google account's password, not just 4 numbers pin. Then the phone reboot into recovery and make a backup that is AES encrypted. To initiate the restore process it is done within Android OS with the Google password entered, not in the recovery, but will boot into recovery to do the restore. Then there is the issue of making sure the image matches with the specific device and software issues that may arise, also how to store the images, so it would require Google Drive as well. However, Google don't want users to go back to older versions for many reasons, sometimes it could be due to security, legal or patent issues that they patched up in the new version. They wouldn't users to restore to an old version that exposed them to security bugs that had been patched, or running a piece of software that was deemed violating a patent or un-allowable by the FCC. For these reason I don't think there will ever be a Google way to backup the entire phone's image for end users.

But there are alternatives, backing up of only the users data and apps. They have that feature already, but I'm not sure if it's all apps or just google apps, I never tried it. They could implement it like iTunes, but more likely cloud back ups as they are already doing, just with a little more privacy invasion for this purpose. So basically a cloud backup of the /data partition only.

Last edited:

cappy718

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Nova Launcher slows my Moto X down.

Takes 10 minutes once you are unlocked. Flash TWRP and then install SuperSU. Make a nandroid and you are rooted and backed up.

If you are going to have to suffer with the laser jet printed on woven back, at least you should get free WiFi tethering to compensate you.

Everyone always makes it sound so easy but when I look up videos or whatever on how to do it... It's usually some 15 year old kid with an annoying voice that doesn't really know how to explain what he is doing and keeps saying "you know". No! I don't know otherwise I wouldn't be watching the video. Lol. Maybe I'll look into it more but I honestly don't have the time to deal with learning it right now.

Posted via my Moto X DE

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
This may help with the OP question: Everything You Need to Know About Rooting Your Android Phone

It's usually some 15 year old kid with an annoying voice that doesn't really know how to explain what he is doing and keeps saying "you know".

Posted via my Moto X DE
You're not using the right resources then. qbking77 moto x - YouTube

----
I am running my Moto X without root and with locked bootloader right now. Ads blocking is the only thing I'm missing. I have less needs for root with Greenify and Helium not requiring root. I do like to have a secondary device for rooting and flashing though, I might like the Moto G Google edition for that, but not for the daily driver device.

Last edited:

SmithlandCart

Banned
Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Everyone always makes it sound so easy but when I look up videos or whatever on how to do it... It's usually some 15 year old kid with an annoying voice that doesn't really know how to explain what he is doing and keeps saying "you know". No! I don't know otherwise I wouldn't be watching the video. Lol. Maybe I'll look into it more but I honestly don't have the time to deal with learning it right now.
To each his own. But no video required. You follow the instructions on the Motorola site to unlock your device. Then once unlocked you download the Team Win custom recovery for the Moto X and the latest version of SuperSu from the playstore. Then you boot into bootloader mode and flash the custom recovery. Then you reboot into the custom recovery and install SuperSu. Done.

Genuflectivity

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
So should I do it? I'm about to get a VZN GN 2. Seems like clockworkmod usb tether is still working after the ota updates (right?) I can live with that, and I'm not the type who needs to tweak much. Anyone have a strong opinion that I should?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87