You have no one to be pissed at but yourself if you thought this was gonna be any different.

NoNexus

May 10, 2013
Visit site
there is not another phone, with that battery size, that will make the claim of 24 hours of usage.

The S4 might as well be called the SGS3s, because that is pretty much what it is, but the SGS3 was pretty innovative. There is nothing innovative if someone else did it before you did. You can be an improvement, but not necessarily and innovator (touchless gestures, eye tracking, front speakers). I do use 75% of the "gimmicks" so I am a fan of skinned ROMs, and that is why my only "want" from this phone I think I got. A lightweight and optimized skin.

And yes, for me, the SGS3 runs circles around the N4. But that is just for me.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Touchless gestures, eyetracking, front facing speakers...I could go on. Some might say they were gimmicky, but they are definitely innovative.
as for the X pushing performance boundaries there are smartphones with better battery life(and we don't even know if it really gets the life they say it will) Early impressions of the camera haven't been favorable. And the always on feature was innovative when it was done in google glass, less innovative for the Xbox, and not at all innovative now.
I'm not gonna argue about it being refinement. They are saying "other phones do this, we just do it better" that sounds exactly like something some company out of Cupertino would say. And i don't see how appleizing Android will make it better.
I've used the S4 but never used the Nexus 4 so I can't comment on that.

Touchless is only on the X. The double twist to camera only X. Your X phone bashing posts are stupid and will be responding to you when I get to my laptop.

Posted via Android Central App

NoNexus

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Not arguing with you but the motion for the camera may be different but Samsung did the same sort of thing, better.

If touchless gestures is what I believe it is, Samsung again with hover

Posted via anything but a Nexus phone.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
It should be noted that I'll probably buy one of these and throw it in a drawer. It's worth spending the money on only because Motorola is investing in battery technology in a new and innovative way. They managed to keep the Razr Maxx thin as heck and push the limits of battery life, and now claims of 24 hours of use with an unimpressive sounding battery.
I'm almost positive the figure is extremely close to accurate for most use cases, and that they're doing something really cool in regards to battery life. I'll buy the phone, not to own the phone, but to invest in the future of Motorola's battery technology. Paying the bill for their R&D will get us something cooler in the future.

I'm not recommending anyone else do this in any way. Most people cannot or will not spend the money on a phone to throw it in a drawer, just to frivolously give money to a company. I have a strange opinion and feel it's in the best interest of myself to do so. If you don't feel that way, don't do what I'm doing.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Not arguing with you but the motion for the camera may be different but Samsung did the same sort of thing, better.

If touchless gestures is what I believe it is, Samsung again with hover

Posted via anything but a Nexus phone.

Just no. The camera app and way it's activated is completely different. Similar? Maybe.

And no Samsung phone has the voice control and recognition capabilities that the X does. Neither do HTC's, for that matter. I'm not singling out any one manufacturer here. Moto is trying to change the way you interact with your phone by including and developing some truly innovative things. What other phone has a dedicated co-processor for voice and contextual input recognition? I'll wait for your answer before continuing....

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Just no. The camera app and way it's activated is completely different. Similar? Maybe.

And no Samsung phone has the voice control and recognition capabilities that the X does. Neither do HTC's, for that matter. I'm not singling out any one manufacturer here. Moto is trying to change the way you interact with your phone by including and developing some truly innovative things. What other phone has a dedicated co-processor for voice and contextual input recognition? I'll wait for your answer before continuing....

Obviously my opinion, but the voice control on the x is about as valuable as windows 8 being touch-centric on the desktop. I've never seen anyone talk to a siri, use s-voice, or execute a voice search on a phone (or desktop, you can do vocie searches on google.com if you haven't noticed). Ever. Except to try to show off by repeating an apple commercial, it doesn't quite work right. And I've never seen anyone want to touch their laptop screen.

Will it sell phones? Maybe, probably. Does adding two cores to a GS3 to handle this gimmick and to turn on car mode when you're riding the bus justify the top tier price?

The X would be in my decision set if I was in the market for a new subsidized phone. But it would definitely be at a disadvantage. Gimmicks on mid tier hardware vs. gimmicks on top tier hardware.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Obviously my opinion, but the voice control on the x is about as valuable as windows 8 being touch-centric on the desktop. I've never seen anyone talk to a siri, use s-voice, or execute a voice search on a phone (or desktop, you can do vocie searches on google.com if you haven't noticed). Ever. Except to try to show off by repeating an apple commercial, it doesn't quite work right. And I've never seen anyone want to touch their laptop screen.

Will it sell phones? Maybe, probably. Does adding two cores to a GS3 to handle this gimmick and to turn on car mode when you're riding the bus justify the top tier price?

The X would be in my decision set if I was in the market for a new subsidized phone. But it would definitely be at a disadvantage. Gimmicks on mid tier hardware vs. gimmicks on top tier hardware.

Are you one for benchmarks? If so, I would take a look at this. Huge grain of salt, but yeah. Pay attention to the on-screen comparison between the X and Nexus 4. Off-screen is as apples-to-apples as you can get. If you don't put stock in benchmarks, then I applaud you. But quad vs dual-core is a moot point now, since the extra horsepower is rarely taken advantage of.

I use voice search on Google Now all the time, and I know a few non-techie people that do too. No, not on my laptop or desktop, but on my phone, yes. It's just easier, and it gets it right FAR more often than not.

I'm going to single out your comparison to the GS3 because, well, it's misplaced. The Krait 300 cores are faster and more efficient than the Krait 200 cores in the S3. The GPU is far superior, also. The display isn't a standard RGB layout, but neither is it Pentile. The camera, beyond the mostly meaningless MP number, actually has some tech in it that should help with low-light performance.

You can't accurately compare the internals of the X to anything else, because nothing else has the two independent co processors to off load the voice recognition and contextual input processing. We have no baseline for how much this will help battery life or performance in other tasks.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I use voice input with Google Now daily as well. This is extremely useful in my life both at home and at work. If I could do that without touching the phone, it would be a bonus.

NoNexus

May 10, 2013
Visit site
You have to realize the irony and hypocrisy of your statement... I mean look at your signature....

I will bite the bullet no problem on the gestures. I haven't seen/read enough about it to quite fully understand them, hence my qualifying my initial post.

The camera thing though, Samsung does it better and it is the same thing. Put your finger on the screen and turn the phone VS twisting your wrist back and forth.

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
How about everyone calm down until an actual physical phone is available for touchy feely?

Everything else is speculation.

Everyone is arguing over specs and such for what? It may be a moot point since it might be the most fantastic mobile device ever invented by a human! :eek:

Just wait for the phone to physically appear in the stores and go play with it. I have not heard one word on the supposed 24 hour battery life, not even from Phil who has one but hasn't had it long enough to comment on battery life.

I know we love to speculate on every aspect of new devices, but can't we wait to argue about them until they are actually in our hands. ;)

Sheesh.

Sent via Note II

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I will bite the bullet no problem on the gestures. I haven't seen/read enough about it to quite fully understand them, hence my qualifying my initial post.

The camera thing though, Samsung does it better and it is the same thing. Put your finger on the screen and turn the phone VS twisting your wrist back and forth.

Phil said it was "like turning a door knob" which implies you don't have to do it back and forth. Like anything, probably something you master after doing it a few times. Also, no finger on the screen. If you're referring to his G+ post, and the pic that accompanied it, that's one of those auto-awesome things.

So yes, similar. I will say that the camera app itself looks much nice on the S4, though.

NoNexus

May 10, 2013
Visit site
ok if it just one single gesture then it is a dead heat as far as the motion goes. The auto-awesome got me like it did to others in the comments section of that posting

You like the app better on the S4 than the X? Why?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
ok if it just one single gesture then it is a dead heat as far as the motion goes. The auto-awesome got me like it did to others in the comments section of that posting

You like the app better on the S4 than the X? Why?

I haven't used the X, so there's that. In practice I might like it more, but appearances are that the S4 camera app is more full featured while being just as intuitive. A lot of bad things have been said about the S4, but not a single one of them has been about the camera app. :)

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site

Pretty much. Why the hell are people trying to dismiss the awesomeness of the X phone?

Posted via Android Central App

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Making it pure Android could be considered an "unfair advantage" and go against the agreement I linked to above.
Stopped reading there.

No one forces anyone to skin Android. They do it cause they can, and cause they want to. The statement above, is laughable.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Obviously my opinion, but the voice control on the x is about as valuable as windows 8 being touch-centric on the desktop. I've never seen anyone talk to a siri, use s-voice, or execute a voice search on a phone (or desktop, you can do vocie searches on google.com if you haven't noticed).

I also know many business men who would use Siri for voice dialing and to setup reminders/calender events. I do the same thing with S-Voice/Google Now as I did with Siri.

The great thing about those features is saying the name and city of a business and getting immediate driving directions.

The best difference now is if I had this phone I wouldn't have to press a button to activate voice search while driving.

I hate having to hit the call button on my console to activate this over a simple voice command. I want to focus on the road in front of me as much as possible.

A lot people's cars don't have bluetooth yet and many of them don't have controls on their steering wheel like I do.

Also surveys have shown that many users use Siri commonly whether to be to play music or get directions, I wouldn't be surprise if it was a high number of users using Google Now.

Saying you haven't seen it really doesn't mean much in this.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Stopped reading there.

No one forces anyone to skin Android. They do it cause they can, and cause they want to. The statement above, is laughable.

Carriers in the United States want skinning and that has been documented. They want the phones to be differentiate among other carriers and among other competing phones.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Guys, neither specs or "innovative features" tell the tale. Did you HAVE an S4? I did. And when it came out, despite the neat features and screaming hardware it was laggy and frustrating. Even turning off ALL the neat new features didn't fix it. Innovative features sometimes suck, is what I'm saying. If Google and Moto are keeping that kind of so called innovation to a minimum and adding some horsepower, it ought to be a darn good performing phone.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Look at Samsung. People say some of their stuff is gimmicky, but Samsung is innovating. Look at HTC, they're innovating. What is innovative about the X? Android flagships should be about innovating. For this being the second half of 2013, what is innovative about this phone? They made iphone-esque "improvements" over what is already existing but brought absolutely nothing new that is even a slight game changer.

They've created an entirely new processor "micro-architecture" and programmed the OS and kernel to dedicate tasks in certain addresses and across dedicated buses.

Any EE or electronics tech can tell you that we would have none of the gadgets we have today without the Motorola of the 80's and 90's. This is the kind of innovation we need in the industry.