Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 11 of 11
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By roguetrader
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Can I undo latest "update" to Swype?

    I foolishly updated Swype, and the new keyboard doesn't have a comma. I use commas all the time, and prefer Swype over the other "swypable" keyboard options largely because the comma was so much more convenient in this keyboard. Is there any way to undo the update?

    The comma has been replaced with a button to activate dictation mode. I'm sure that's handy to some people, but I usually write emails and browse forums in places where I can't speak (like the commuter train) or else have access to a real computer and don't bother with the gadget at all. I tried unchecking the "show voice key" in the options, and rebooting, but that didn't seem to do anything.

    And I'm REALLY annoyed that they didn't mention this major change in the user interface in the notes about the update. I would never have accepted it if it had said upfront that I would be replacing the comma key with a voice toggle.

    I'm really desperate for a solution. I feel like this is an enormous downgrade, and my gadget is nearly as useless for typing as my iPad now. I also wrote to Swype, but I'm not too optimistic about getting help from them.
  2. #2  
    HollyDolly's Avatar

    Posts
    394 Posts
    Global Posts
    595 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Can I undo latest "update" to Swype?

    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzlegal View Post
    I foolishly updated Swype, and the new keyboard doesn't have a comma. I use commas all the time, and prefer Swype over the other "swypable" keyboard options largely because the comma was so much more convenient in this keyboard. Is there any way to undo the update?

    The comma has been replaced with a button to activate dictation mode. I'm sure that's handy to some people, but I usually write emails and browse forums in places where I can't speak (like the commuter train) or else have access to a real computer and don't bother with the gadget at all. I tried unchecking the "show voice key" in the options, and rebooting, but that didn't seem to do anything.

    And I'm REALLY annoyed that they didn't mention this major change in the user interface in the notes about the update. I would never have accepted it if it had said upfront that I would be replacing the comma key with a voice toggle.

    I'm really desperate for a solution. I feel like this is an enormous downgrade, and my gadget is nearly as useless for typing as my iPad now. I also wrote to Swype, but I'm not too optimistic about getting help from them.
    Under your Apps option, look for Swype. There may be an option (one of the top big buttons) that says "unistall update". Try that first. If not, you can go to an older version of it either by Googling it on XDA--developers or you can try to find a version that is the closest match to your older version here and download there - at your own risk. I'd try uninstalling the update, if possible.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Can I undo latest "update" to Swype?

    Thanks.

    Now I'm really confused. I held down the "voice" key, and it popped up a settings button, which I selected. It said, "android keyboard settings". That, also, has an option for a voice button, which I deselected. So I thought maybe by updating Swype I had unselected it, and was using the Android keyboard. But the phone's overall settings still say I am using Swype.

    I do have a comma now, at any rate. And I honestly don't know what keyboard I am using. It's a little different from what I had, but that often happens when you update an app.
  4. #4  
    HollyDolly's Avatar

    Posts
    394 Posts
    Global Posts
    595 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Can I undo latest "update" to Swype?

    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzlegal View Post
    Thanks.

    Now I'm really confused. I held down the "voice" key, and it popped up a settings button, which I selected. It said, "android keyboard settings". That, also, has an option for a voice button, which I deselected. So I thought maybe by updating Swype I had unselected it, and was using the Android keyboard. But the phone's overall settings still say I am using Swype.

    I do have a comma now, at any rate. And I honestly don't know what keyboard I am using. It's a little different from what I had, but that often happens when you update an app.
    Maybe you switched to the Google keyboard, which is the standard on an Android. Swype may or may not come with phones. As long as you're happy with it, it's all good.
    Thanked by:
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Can I undo latest "update" to Swype?

    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzlegal View Post
    I also wrote to Swype, but I'm not too optimistic about getting help from them.
    Are you sure you're using Swype? I'm on the latest version of Swype, and the comma key still exists, and there is no option to switch it to a voice key. In fact, the voice key is on the completely different side of the keyboard. Swype uses their own voice program.

    I wouldn't expect to hear from them, either, if I was writing them about a problem with a keyboard that's not theirs.
    Thanked by:
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Can I undo latest "update" to Swype?

    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzlegal View Post
    Thanks.

    Now I'm really confused. I held down the "voice" key, and it popped up a settings button, which I selected. It said, "android keyboard settings". That, also, has an option for a voice button, which I deselected. So I thought maybe by updating Swype I had unselected it, and was using the Android keyboard. But the phone's overall settings still say I am using Swype.

    I do have a comma now, at any rate. And I honestly don't know what keyboard I am using. It's a little different from what I had, but that often happens when you update an app.
    I think you're talking about the Google Android keyboard, which has a voice toggle too. I'm using Swype, and as another poster says, the comma is where it's supposed to be and the voice toggle is on the right hand side.

    As a matter of interest for you, whenever you have a keyboard open you will see a tiny keyboard icon in the notifications bar. If you swipe down notification you will see 'choose input method' - it will tell you which keyboard you're using; if you wish to change keyboard, press this notification.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanked by:
    Puzzlegal likes this.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Can I undo latest "update" to Swype?

    The update reset your keyboard default to the stock version. This seems to be a bug with KitKat since others are reporting it happening with swiftkey too. Just go to settings and change it back.
    Thanked by:
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: Can I undo latest "update" to Swype?

    Yes, that's what happened. Thanks to everyone for helping me restore Swype. It seems much more accurate and easier to use than the stock keyboard, too. And I love its flexible error correction. Using the stock keyboard for a while reminds me how much I like Swype.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: Can I undo latest "update" to Swype?

    Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    I wouldn't expect to hear from them, either, if I was writing them about a problem with a keyboard that's not theirs.
    I just heard from them. :-) I had previously followed up on my initial question saying what had happened, that it wasn't a Swype issue, and that no response was needed. But I just got a note that read like it was written by a human saying, more or less, "glad it worked out."
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Can I undo latest "update" to Swype?

    Just wanted to add more kudos to Swype for such an improvement on the latest version. Voice dictation is simply awesome.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default Re: Can I undo latest "update" to Swype?

    I'll have to try it. I love the error correction options when I type.

Similar Threads

  1. hesitant to upgrade to 4.4
    By shinydiscopants in forum Moto X
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-04-2014, 10:15 AM
  2. Any news of update for tab 3 8.0 as far as 4.3 JB or beyond?
    By robinhelenehebert in forum Samsung Galaxy Tab 3
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-27-2013, 09:32 PM
  3. I can't activate ART since I've rooted?
    By mkchillin in forum Nexus 5 Rooting, ROMs, & Hacks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-25-2013, 02:57 AM
  4. Help!! Lost comma with latest "upgrade" to Swype
    By Puzzlegal in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-24-2013, 09:43 PM
  5. Flash from cricket to sprint
    By Trillyx in forum Samsung Galaxy S4 Rooting, ROMs & Hacks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-24-2013, 01:58 PM

Posting Permissions

B