Do you think the Moto X is future proof?

sooner7

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Only a 720p screen?! Welcome to last century, bros.

Good one. I like that as I am a recovering pixel junkie.

I own an S4 and a Moto X....the Moto X wins in every other department than the display quality.
Moto X's display not being pentile definitely helps its case.

edit: oh and the purple banding on the S4 is terrible on low brightness.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
If you have a missed text, a missed call and an email and your multi-colored LED is blinking, can you touch the LED and see previews of the text and the email and see who called so you can decide which, if any, of those you want to respond to right away and which ones can wait?
So right now, my phone is slowly blinking the time, the temperature, and a little image of a letter. It doesn't tell me how many unread emails I might have, or who they are from, or even which email account they came in through. And most of the time the screen is blank -- if I even want to know if I have new emails, I either have to wait for it to blink on, or turn on the screen.

My prior phone showed an LED that told me with a light that stayed on whether I had a new email, and the color indicated which acocunt it came in on -- which is actually a lot of information given my email use. True, it didn't give me the time or the temp, but I don't really use either of those.

With both phones (Moto X and Photon) touching the screen gives me info about the nature of the emails, or at least, of othe most recent email. Maybe I touched the screen and pulled down the shade on the photon. It certainly wasn't a lot of effort.

With the LED notification, you have to light up the entire screen in order to get the details of the notification (type of notification, message sender, preview of contents, etc.). Even simply dismissing a notification requires you to turn on the entire screen. Turning on the screen over and over again wastes battery life. You can use an outside app light Light Flow in order to get better notifications, but you still won't get as much as you will with Active Display. Active Display will only light up enough of the screen to give you those details, which is one of the reasons the Moto X gets such good battery life.
The battery life is certainly an improvement, but I don't think it is much of an improvement over when the old phone was new. Mostly, I think I am benefiting from a newer battery. I still have to plug in the phone at work if I plan to go out in the evening.

It's a fine phone. and I get that active notifications are cooler than a colored LED. For my use, they aren't much of a functional improvement. I am move excited about improvements in handling contacts that have info both from Google and from Facebook (something I had on the Pre, and missed on the Photon.)

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Active Notifications is new, it'll grow as time goes on. And is the green light that was found actually green? or can it be changed with a app? because then there you go.

Motorola has future proofed this phone by heavily optimizing the software with the hardware, and TRIM support. Sure the X2 can improve many ways, but this phone will last. It'll probably last longer then the new 2k octo-core 2ghz from samsung.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't worry... Example : my years old HTC HD2 (LEO-released in 2009!!!) running on almost everything and its a "pensioner" already... The Moto X with its spec will have same fate...

Well its more about what the hardware allows. Can it do slow motion video? Pedometer? IR sensor? Higher resolution display's nice for screen mirroring (no upscaling of the image on 1080p displays) as Miricast dongles are dropping in price and more TVs are natively supporting it.

A lot of the value was put in the software, and the device was somewhat overspeced on release. Custom roms like CM are bad for phones like these peaches they remove features that prompted you to purchase in the first place.

I think the risk will pay off for most users, and the phone is relatively cheap now, so I don't see a huge issue. The GS3 has held up well, but it was released a bit earlier with spec equivalency with other flagships...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Active Notifications is new, it'll grow as time goes on. And is the green light that was found actually green? or can it be changed with a app? because then there you go.

Motorola has future proofed this phone by heavily optimizing the software with the hardware, and TRIM support. Sure the X2 can improve many ways, but this phone will last. It'll probably last longer then the new 2k octo-core 2ghz from samsung.

It will only last longer if the support is there. I think we have reached the point where the specs are fine to keep it running the length of a contract (2 years) just depends on how many updates it will receive and nobody knows once moto releases their new phone this year if the x will suffer the fate of other devices and get put on the back burner since it is no longer their "flagship"

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I think the Moto X is fast enough to do most tasks, it won't suddenly become very slow with new Android version, the main concern is how long Google is going to give out updates for it, which is around 18months for Nexus devices.
And yes I know someone going to post how great there galaxy S2 is running today, etc.

Posted via Android Central App
In fact, I just bought a Samsung Infuse 4G, which has S2 body, but only single core 1.2ghz cpu. But it have KitKat roms available otherwise I wouldn't get it.

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
It will only last longer if the support is there. I think we have reached the point where the specs are fine to keep it running the length of a contract (2 years) just depends on how many updates it will receive and nobody knows once moto releases their new phone this year if the x will suffer the fate of other devices and get put on the back burner since it is no longer their "flagship"

Motorola is updating its past 2 flagships also, so I dont think its going to be thrown overboard. Plus Motorola is keeping their devices down unlike say Samsung, so they have more attention able to give.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Motorola is updating its past 2 flagships also, so I dont think its going to be thrown overboard. Plus Motorola is keeping their devices down unlike say Samsung, so they have more attention able to give.

No moto is only updating the razr HD/M which is last years model. Not really past 2. I like the direction moto is going, but will be interesting to see if these fast updates continue

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I don't get what's so great about active displays. How is it better than having a multi-colored led to give notifications?
(
I hated the LED light,....blink.. blink.. blinking got on my nerves.At nighttime if I woke looked at phone it was like a strobe light blinking away, so I Always disabled it on all my previous phones within hours of having phone with an LED light.But I didnt like the LED light when I was awake either, the LED light is sooo 2009 :)
I love the active display I always have it active always

Last edited:

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Don't see anyone mentioning the camera. Everything about this phone should be fine for the next 2, maybe even 3yrs. I'm still using and loving my N4 and with ART, its as smooth as the day I got it.

But the one thing you'll notice is how poor the pictures will look as cameras in phones improve. Its bad enough the MX camera isn't that great to begin with. Maybe the Google camera API or updates from Motorola will alleviate that concern, but that'd be the one thing that concern me about "future proof" phones.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I dont take alot of pictures with my Moto X, the pictures I do take or not meant to be published.I do have Camera Awesome for when I want better pics then with the stock camera.
I understand the stock camera isnt the best out there and if I took a bunch of pictures I might look at it a little different.Thats one reason I installed Camera Awesome at least it has more settings to adjust to try and improve picture.
I know some people use the camera alot /sometimes as their only camera.
When I do take pictures with my phone its just a quick shot of stuff I see to share with my friends ,alot of times the pictures taken dont even get transferred to my computer.
Really thats how I used my camera on all my phones though.Actually no camera on any phone I had has impressed me to have given me the "Wow" factor .lol
Actually I dont remember seeing pictures taken with others phones that make me want to go buy that phone because of the camera photo quality alone.
But thats just my opinion. ;)

Roger Gibbens

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
I have a camera for taking pictures. That said, I think the camera could be improved without much cost. Doing this would bring more customers who only use their phones for taking pictures, rather than having a camera. I use Camera ZOOM FX as my default camera app and I think it helps the picture quality quite a bit.

tbtregenza

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Custom roms like CM are bad for phones like these peaches they remove features that prompted you to purchase in the first place.

Peaches aside, this thread has convinced me the features this phone's hardware allows should keep me satiated for the next 2 years. Now the big decision is whether to buy off-contract (since there has been a significant price drop) or use my VZ upgrade. Anyone have any opinions on this?

effreyj

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Peaches aside, this thread has convinced me the features this phone's hardware allows should keep me satiated for the next 2 years. Now the big decision is whether to buy off-contract (since there has been a significant price drop) or use my VZ upgrade. Anyone have any opinions on this?

You don't have to worry as much about whether it's future proof if you don't use your upgrade...

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

I meant "devices as". Must have forgot the space and my phone replaced it as a result :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

jcg5862

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
+1. I have always used my phone cameras the same way. Even my Nikon Coolpix point and shoot blows away any camera phone.

Posted via Android Central App on my Moto X

terrrrrible

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I've kind of got the same concern right now. My current phone is starting to be on it's way out, and I'm possibly looking to upgrade soon. I want to get the Moto X, as it's probably the best phone for me that's out right now. I'm worried though that they're gonna come out with a 2.0 version months later. I guess it should be fine since it just got Kit Kat, so it'll be the best out there for a while.

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I've kind of got the same concern right now. My current phone is starting to be on it's way out, and I'm possibly looking to upgrade soon. I want to get the Moto X, as it's probably the best phone for me that's out right now. I'm worried though that they're gonna come out with a 2.0 version months later. I guess it should be fine since it just got Kit Kat, so it'll be the best out there for a while.

My guess is you will not see the follow up to the Moto X until at least July, probably August.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez