Does the X USB-Tether AND Hotspot?

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,

Just got my $299 code and wanted to know the above. I have the G and it does both and I assume the X does also, but would like to know for sure.

If you check my Streaming post in the G forum, you will see that the USB-tether is about 12% faster than the hotspot so I like to use that when visitors are here and a that bunch of freeloaders are using my Data bandwidth. :).

Thanks

jlgraham

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
It all depends on your carrier/whether or not you are rooted. To the best of my knowledge:

If you pay your carrier for tethering, then yes, the Moto X can do it all not problem. If you are trying to get around paying your carrier for the feature, then there are apps in the Play Store that work well, but to my knowledge, the 4.4 update broke the ability to create a Hotspot, so you're stuck using USB/Bluetooth.

If you want the best of both worlds (HotSpot capability without carrier approval) you would need to root.

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, I have an unlimited talk, Text and Data on the Moto G (NOT rooted) that is Tethering fine both wifi and USB. It is an option in the "More" just under the Wifi and Bluetoothe settings.

I just wanted make sure the X does too and it sounds like it does not.

I would not tether if the service disallowed it. :)

jlgraham

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
If you've enabled tethering on your Moto G without using a 3rd party app (from the Play Store), then a Moto X should tether just fine for you. Sounds like tethering is part of your wireless plan, so I don't anticipate you'd have any issues.

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I think it would depend on the X build you bought. I have the XT 1053 t-mobile version. I dont pay for tethering but im able to tether my nexus 7 off the X no problem. Gotta try the USB tether...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87