Moto X: Battery sucks since kitkit update

princesultan

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Battery was great before but now its significantly decreased since the update. Am I the only one?

Normally I would check wake lock detector but I would now need to root my phone.

Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: Battery sucks since kitkit update

I got mine with KitKat, and I'm happy with the battery life. As a "screen on" test in the office one day (bright fluorescent, probably kept the screen at 40% or so) I got 7 hours of screen time out of a charge, total time between charges 12 hours.

Today I've had an hour and 15 minutes of screen time, 10 hours on battery, sitting at 59%.

Yesterday, outside with the screen on "stun small animals" bright, I played Ingress (the standard by which other battery drains are judged) for about 2 hours. I started at about 60%, ended at 30%.

So I'd say if you did the Over-the-air upgrade, a factory reset is probably advisable.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

Does that erase everything?

Yes. Sorry.

Your contacts, email, etc should all be on Google. Your applications will reinstall from the Play Store.

But you'll lose any pictures that aren't backed up to G+, your customization and home screen setups, and most in-app data (saved game statuses, etc) unless the author of that app has some sort of cloud backup of your data.

It's no guarantee, but it's what your carrier is going to tell you to do.

The other option is to uninstall all of your apps and see if it makes a significant difference. If it does, install them 2-3 at a time every couple of days and see what happens. When the battery life starts sucking again, you've narrowed it down to 2-3 apps.

But there are times after an OS version upgrade that something just goes wrong in the data conversion or something, and the cleanest way is to just stop using the "converted" application/customization data and start fresh.

LinusMcl

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site

I got 4.4.2 last friday and before the update was getting battery life of 1day 4 hours about 3% per hour and after Kitkat 16 hours and 5% per hour, so I did a reset and manually reloaded the apps I had before and still getting about 5% an hour so not sure what the issue is, except it is substantially less than 4.2

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

Battery was great before but now its significantly decreased since the update. Am I the only one?

LinusMcl's post above made me realize - when I say KitKat, I mean 4.4 (no extra numbers). This is the "current" version for the AT&T model I have.

If you have 4.4.2 (which some of the other variants have already), a reset might not be as likely to help.

(EDIT: Corrected 4.2.x to 4.4.x - stupid brain)

Last edited:

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

LinusMcl's post above made me realize - when I say KitKat, I mean 4.2 (no extra numbers). This is the "current" version for the AT&T model I have.

If you have 4.2.2 (which some of the other variants have already), a reset might not be as likely to help.

4.2 was Jelly Bean. 4.4 is Kit Kat.

CutlaSS

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site

I got 4.4.2 last friday and before the update was getting battery life of 1day 4 hours about 3% per hour and after Kitkat 16 hours and 5% per hour, so I did a reset and manually reloaded the apps I had before and still getting about 5% an hour so not sure what the issue is, except it is substantially less than 4.2

thats essentially my exact experience too going from 4.2.2 to 4.4 its been a month or so now. didnt want to factory reset it but I might as well root it since it would get wiped anyway.

Last edited:

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site

Is 16 hours not sufficient to get through a day? Powered my phone on at 5:45am and have about 26% left now with just over 2 hours of screen time.

Hoff Woohoo

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site

I upgraded to KK as soon as I received my phone so I can't comment on "before" but I'm happy with battery life. I often start the day at 2:30 AM and go till 10 or 11 PM with life to spare. I installed a bunch of widgets and live wallpaper thinking I'd have to drop some of them because of battery life but it's still decent.

I do have battery saving location on and widgets update every hour plus I don't play games or watch videos other than on break at work.

I'm pretty happy with it but I won't be 100% satisfied until I can return to the mileage of my old BB Curve :O

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

At 15 hours off charge, all but 3 hours on lte. Still at 48%.

This phone rivals my old razr maxx.
I love it.

Posted via Android Central App

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

get great battery life... problem happens when u use X for while with 4.2.2 and then update, thats why i formatted my phone after the update.

princesultan

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site

My on screen time has definitely decreased since the update. I really don't want to do a factory reset.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

I wish Google (or even the OEMs perhaps) would provide software that is:

1. Able to run on all types of computers systems (Mac, Windows, etc). Even a web-based tool would be fine if it worked.
2. Able to completely facilitate distributing software updates the *correct* way

What do I mean by the "correct way"? Personally what I would want is a program where I plug my device into the computer and it downloads the appropriate update image, takes a complete backup of all user data & settings, wipes the current system, applies the update and verifies installation, then restores all applicable user data & settings.

I believe that OEMs and carriers prefer to do OTA updates because they are more user friendly...nothing to do but click a button on the phone to start the process, and no need to hook up to computer and follow instructions. The problem is that all you're really doing is applying the update over top of the existing system, essentially doing what we ROM users refer to as "dirty flashing"...and it often leads to bugs, strange behavior and poor performance. How are these problems generally fixed? By doing a factory reset. Sure the factory reset does usually fix most post-OTA issues, but then the user has to go through the trouble of restoring everything on the phone afterwards...why not just automate that entire process to begin with and make it easier to ensure that user data isn't lost in the process? I'm not saying that OTAs can't be made available for those that absolutely need them, but as it stands now, that's usually the only method available for most phones with "official" updates.

I don't think what I suggested would be that hard to do either, though currently it could probably only be made to work on rooted phones...which is why I'd like to see an "official" tool from Google to facilitate the process.

Sorry for the rant.

princesultan

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site

Just an update. I really tried messing around with the battery to try and improve it since the update. I then switched over to ART. Battery was just as bad. The main culprit was Android OS when I looked at the battery stats. No matter what I did aandroid OS would be between 50-60%.

Yesterday I switched back to Davik and low and behold, the battery seems to have gone back to normal. I read a few other users who experienced similar experiences, so give it a try if your battery has been weak since the update.

anon(4931742)

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site

My on screen time has definitely decreased since the update. I really don't want to do a factory reset.

For me, the On Screen Time usually Ok. I usually get around 4 hours OST in 14 hours usage. I was more concerned towards idle time. Over the past few days, it is improving though. Will post my observation later today.

DCSholtis

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Accidentally left my wifi on last night woke up this morning to find it ate 21% of the battery over night

Posted via Android Central App