Why is there only a set amount of desktops on the stock Moto X?

sethgoldstein

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys

I've been wondering why there is only a set amount of screens available for the Moto X on the stock launcher. Any ideas?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
How many homescreens do you have? You should be able to add another one by adding a widget and sliding it to the right of your screen to add an additional home screen. I haven't used the stock/GPE launcher for a while but you should be able to have at least 5 homescreens.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have been running Nova the entire time I had the X. Didn't care so much for the launcher. But agreeing with dancing bass, you should be able to create a new page by dragging an icon to the right and that creates the new page, but, that icon has to stay there.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys

I've been wondering why there is only a set amount of screens available for the Moto X on the stock launcher. Any ideas?

That's how "stock" Android is set up.

Posted via Android Central App

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
But on my Nexus 7 2013 I could add more

How many home screens do you currently have?

On the GPE/Stock launcher, you CAN add more homescreens. Select the app or widget you wish to have on the new homescreen. Place it on an existing homescreen. Long press on it (so it's selected) and slide it to the right edge of your screen, which should add that app or widget to a new homescreen. Repeat with more apps/widgets until you have everything set up the way you want. If you have a single app or widget on a homescreen and you delete that app or widget, the empty homescreen will disappear. I don't believe you can have an empty homescreen with the GPE/stock launcher.

I don't know if there is a limit on homescreens but I believe you can have at least 5, maybe 7 (or even more). But be aware the more homescreens (especially widgets) the harder it is on your battery life as your phone has to work harder to keep all the widgets live and up-to-date.

UncleMike

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
But on my Nexus 7 2013 I could add more

The stock Android launcher had a fixed number of home screens. The Nexus 5 (and maybe the Nexus 7 2013) doesn't use the stock launcher. IMO, including non-stock features such as the always-listening home screen ("OK Google") and business search on the dialer was a poor decision.

ETPhoneHomeT

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Only the Nexus 5 come with Google Now Launcher.

sent via Le Motonovo X

Stock Moto X Home Launcher has set 5 homescreens. Can't add or subtract homescreens, that's just the way it is. Nexus 5 for now is only smartphone with Google Experience Launcher (GEL), which was recently re-named Google Now Launcher. GEL/Google Now Launcher can easily be sideloaded on the Moto X and works great. Here's a link: http://www.droid-life.com/2014/02/0...en-import-from-your-old-launcher/#more-131595

Most other 3rd party launchers have the flexibility to add/subtract homescreens to your liking as well.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
It was never renamed from GEL to GNL. It was never called GEL by Google in the first place. Some Android news site or blogger gave it that name.

sent via Le Motonovo X

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It was never renamed from GEL to GNL. It was never called GEL by Google in the first place. Some Android news site or blogger gave it that name.

sent via Le Motonovo X

I wish I could like and thank this post multiple times.

Posted via Android Central App

UncleMike

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site

sent via Le Motonovo X

Now if only we can get people to stop referring to the unlocked GSM Moto X as the "T-Mobile version".

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer