Should Moto change its low end approach to hardware for the Moto X2?

Will Moto have a better chance at selling more phones if the specs are better?

• Total voters

Eli_C

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Under Google's helm Moto has been moving towards commodity phones. Meaning cheap phones that will get more people using smartphones and seeing google advertisements. This is a fine business strategy for Google, but personally I would like to see the same focus on user experience and performance leveraged with higher specs to provide a more competitive flag-ship device.

Last edited:

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Under Google's helm Moto has been moving towards commodity phones. Meaning cheap phones that will get more people using smartphones and seeing google advertisements. This is a fine business strategy for Google, but personally I would like to see the same focus on user experience and performance leveraged with higher specs to provide a more competitive flag-ship device.

They did focus on user experience and performance, where have you been?

Posted via Android Central App

CDG

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site

Exactly!

Specs are not everything and even the Moto X's worst critic has admitted that user experience is what the X is all about. I definitely agree with that.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Celebrating 50 Software Launches with Punit Soni - YouTube

See @10:15

My full question:

What do you say to someone that is quick to dismiss a device like the Moto X because of the spec sheet? When released, the Moto X's Snapdragon S4 Pro with it's dual-core Krait 300s and Adreno 320 graphics were dismissed by many in the tech community. A lot of people called the Moto X a "mid-range" device.

Yet here I am, months later and my Moto X is no slouch. I have yet to experience the slow-down over time that has plagued Android devices since the beginning. Motorola has proven to me that specs don't tell the whole story. How can we change the mindset of those who knock the hardware specs of the Moto X? And is it even worth trying to change their minds?

Punit Soni:

He further adds:

I don't really think a number game is enough to quantify the value of a Moto X

Eli_C

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site

As reflected in my post, if you read it! I wouldn't be here waiting for the X2 if I didn't think Moto made great phones. I agree, the spec sheet does not tell the whole story. You can have the same checklist of specs in multiple different phones and not have the same performance because of implementation. What I am saying is that if Moto does the same thing with the X2 with high end specs that they did with the X with mid range specs, then the X2 will crush the other competition.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
As reflected in my post, if you read it! I wouldn't be here waiting for the X2 if I didn't think Moto made great phones. I agree, the spec sheet does not tell the whole story. You can have the same checklist of specs in multiple different phones and not have the same performance because of implementation. What I am saying is that if Moto does the same thing with the X2 with high end specs that they did with the X with mid range specs, then the X2 will crush the other competition.

I read your post, and of course the next generation will be better that`s how all technology works. YOU are waiting for the X2, everyone else who owns the device is just fine, it`s those on the sidelines who want to critique and say "The Moto X2 better have this and that".

Eli_C

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
What do you say to someone that is quick to dismiss a device like the Moto X because of the spec sheet?

In regards to the Moto X, I don't dismiss it. At its current price point its a great phone.

However, it was dismissed by many in the tech community for being introduced at flagship prices for mid-range specs, regardless of performance.

I read your post, and of course the next generation will be better that`s how all technology works. YOU are waiting for the X2, everyone else who owns the device is just fine, it`s those on the sidelines who want to critique and say "The Moto X2 better have this and that".

Well it is the X2 forum, not the X forum. I have no power over what the X2 has, but I can certainly express my opinion over what I hope it has as well as what I believe will help it be more successful. I can say that if they have mid range specs on the X2 I won't be shelling out $600+ for it.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
In regards to the Moto X, I don't dismiss it. At its current price point its a great phone.

However, it was dismissed by many in the tech community for being introduced at flagship prices for mid-range specs, regardless of performance.

Well it is the X2 forum, not the X forum. I have no power over what the X2 has, but I can certainly express my opinion over what I hope it has as well as what I believe will help it be more successful. I can say that if they have mid range specs on the X2 I won't be shelling out $600+ for it.

Regardless of what people thought of the phone, it outperformed nearly every other flagship. If they dismissed it, then they're missing out.

I don't see why you absolutely need top of the line specs. If I gave you the Moto X and you weren't aware of the specs, you would think it had the same or better chip than the S4 or M7. It's not hard to understand that they're just numbers on a piece of paper.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

And that's fine for you to express your opinion. But by posting quotes from Punit Soni, I am backing up why I don't think Motorola may not put the specs you may be looking for in the follow up to the X.

And that's fine if you don't want to buy the supposed X2 at $600+ if it doesn't have the highest-end specs. Based on my experience with what Motorola has done with the specs in the Moto X, I believe in Motorola's current hardware/software strategy. Specs for the sake of specs doesn't matter to me.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheRepairGuy