Best Buy $200 off Moto Z Droid and Free Speaker Mod

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I just put in my pre-order for a Moto Z Force + speaker mod for $99 w/2yr contract renewal. Picking up Thursday (28th) at the store, though they offer shipping that was to arrive next Friday (29th).
That's a good deal. I thought that $99 was for new contracts, not renewals. But that's good to know.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
That's a good deal. I thought that $99 was for new contracts, not renewals. But that's good to know.

Yeah, I thought so too. I was tempted by the phone at the $300 w/2yr price. When I saw I could get it for $100 plus get the free speaker, I jumped all over it. My wife is on the same plan, so it was silly not to get her a phone too, so we ordered her a standard Moto Z for $1. She'll check it out, and use it if she likes it, or we'll sell it if she doesn't. (She's currently using a Droid Mini, and she really likes the small size. The Z is a supercomputer compared to the Mini, but she doesn't really use it much, so the size may actually be a deal killer for her.)

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I thought so too. I was tempted by the phone at the $300 w/2yr price. When I saw I could get it for $100 plus get the free speaker, I jumped all over it. My wife is on the same plan, so it was silly not to get her a phone too, so we ordered her a standard Moto Z for $1. She'll check it out, and use it if she likes it, or we'll sell it if she doesn't. (She's currently using a Droid Mini, and she really likes the small size. The Z is a supercomputer compared to the Mini, but she doesn't really use it much, so the size may actually be a deal killer for her.)

If she doesn't like it I'll give you 100 times what you paid for it.

Posted via the Android Central App

ch5220

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Anyone had any luck pre-ordering through best buy doing an early upgrade on a payment plan? The Bestbuy website says that since I need to send in my phone to verizon for the early upgrade that I need to go to the Bestbuy store to pre-order, but when I called the Bestbuy close to me they said they don't know anything about Moto Z preorders and won't know anything until the phone is released.

Stickboy46#CB

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Anyone had any luck pre-ordering through best buy doing an early upgrade on a payment plan? The Bestbuy website says that since I need to send in my phone to verizon for the early upgrade that I need to go to the Bestbuy store to pre-order, but when I called the Bestbuy close to me they said they don't know anything about Moto Z preorders and won't know anything until the phone is released.

Tell them to look under the Pre-Order option in BEAST. Its there.

LabRat

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I don't really need a new phone, my almost three year Droid Maxx in is good shape and does everything I need it to.
But I thought if I could really get a Z for an dollar, why not do it.

I when to Best Buy and asked if it's really one dollar, yes they said.
No hidden costs? No increase to my monthly bill? That's correct they said.

Okay, sign me up. They put all of my info into the system and just before he was ready to put the trigger he says there is a couple of things that I need to tell you. There is going to be a $40 activation fee. I did expect that so I said, okay I can live with that. Then he says that your line access fee in going to go up $20/month for 24 months. This is becaue that line is off contract and I am currenty paying $20/month, the on contract price is $40/month.
I said hold on you told there was no addition costs, that one dollar just turned into $521. That's a lot on money for something I don't really need. He mentioned that I might be better off going with the $17/month payment plan since it doesn't change the access fee. But either way it was way more than I planned on spending. I told him I was sorry but, please cancel the order. He said that he understood.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I don't really need a new phone, my almost three year Droid Maxx in is good shape and does everything I need it to.
But I thought if I could really get a Z for an dollar, why not do it.

I when to Best Buy and asked if it's really one dollar, yes they said.
No hidden costs? No increase to my monthly bill? That's correct they said.

Okay, sign me up. They put all of my info into the system and just before he was ready to put the trigger he says there is a couple of things that I need to tell you. There is going to be a $40 activation fee. I did expect that so I said, okay I can live with that. Then he says that your line access fee in going to go up $20/month for 24 months. This is becaue that line is off contract and I am currenty paying $20/month, the on contract price is $40/month.
I said hold on you told there was no addition costs, that one dollar just turned into $521. That's a lot on money for something I don't really need. He mentioned that I might be better off going with the $17/month payment plan since it doesn't change the access fee. But either way it was way more than I planned on spending. I told him I was sorry but, please cancel the order. He said that he understood.

wow... they slipped that one by me. Grrr...

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I understand you canceling. But the 20 access fee is for being off contract right. If you were getting the device for 1 dollar I assume it was to sign a contract right so why the fee. That doesn't make sense unless I missed something.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I have a $25 discount per line for being out of contract so I'd have to go for the discount on the device payment plan. They're going to get you one way or the other.

LabRat

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Agreeing to the 2y contract changes the access fee from $20 to $40/month for 24 months. That's how they get you to pay for the phone. I knew something wasn't right when the choice was $17.67/month verses one dollar. BTW if you choice the payment plan you have to pay the sales tax on the full prices up front.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I was very strongly tempted to return mine, because the extra $20/mo cost wasn't mentioned to me at all. It makes a $100 (+$40 activation that they *did* mention) phone a $580+$40 phone (though more like $548 total cost with my wife's Verizon discount through her work). That's not a terrible price for how good the phone is, but feeling deceived sucks. It also baffles me how anyone would pay the $300 +$20/mo 2yr contract price for the Force through Verizon...

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I bought the Z Force for $99, and the confirmation page and email both clearly say "These new charges will be added to your carrier bill and do not include all taxes, fees and surcharges. Discount or data plan changes previously messaged will be applied to your plan." AND THEN BLANK. Nada. No charges listed.

Of course, now when I look at my plan details on VZW, my line access fee jumped from $20/mo to $40. That's unacceptable. I'd have been better off going with the payment plan and saved $8/mo. I'm trying to talk Verizon out of it - that's an undisclosed fee, which is not exactly legal. But barring that, I'm taking it back and then buying it again on payment plan. The speaker is awesome, as is the phone, but that's too much.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I have an old Nationwide Talk&Text share 1400 plan. Have 3 lines on it, two with UDP and one with a TDP. The TDP was the line I updated, it was out of contract. Got the Z Force for $99.99 with the free speaker. All three lines are $9.99 Line Access Fee. And my plan still shows $9.99 fee with the new two year contract.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
emii