Moto Z Play or Oneplus 3

RadiantDuck

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

Asking both here and in the oneplus 3 forum, for balance!

I'm thinking of going for either a oneplus 3 or a moto z play. Both interest me for different reasons.

The one plus 3 has top line specs and build but I would miss expandable storage (I could just about make do with 64gb) and battery life is decent (see moto z play).

The moto z play, has lesser specs but the battery life on it is unbelievably good. It has expandable storage which is really handy for me.
Moto. Moto mods are interesting but not a huge selling point for me.

Both don't have great history with updates, so they're about equal to me there.

So what do you think? Go for the oneplus 3 and have the better specs but take a hit in battery (and storage to a degee) or go for a moto z play for unequalled battery life?

Or any other alternatives in similar price range (in UK based so some phones are harder/more expensive here!)

Thanks again

Go Liath

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Z has an AMOLED screen, so that's better. I would dare to say the speaker is also better.

The performance difference is negligible, the battery difference is huge. Only if you want to play heavy games I would consider the OP3.

dgratzburg

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Coming from an S6 edge that had top of the line specs I don't miss it at all. I am much happier with my Moto Z Play with every aspect(software included) except the camera. I do miss the amazing camera it had. But knowing I can last 2 days of battery and never having it on my mind that I will run out of juice has made this phone exceptional for me. I am not a power user, just normal facebook, reddit, maps, texting, and internet searches. And I have yet to see it be any slower that I have noticed.

I explained it to my wife who didn't understand why I would "downgrade". Its like myself owning a normal car. She owns a ferrari. Sure...her car is way faster...but in the end we are both only going the speed limit of 40 which both cars will easily achieve. She paid alot more money for the extra performance..performance that she never really uses.

I paid 200 for my Z play. She paid 750+ for her s6edge when it released.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

Asking both here and in the oneplus 3 forum, for balance!

I'm thinking of going for either a oneplus 3 or a moto z play. Both interest me for different reasons.

The one plus 3 has top line specs and build but I would miss expandable storage (I could just about make do with 64gb) and battery life is decent (see moto z play).

The moto z play, has lesser specs but the battery life on it is unbelievably good. It has expandable storage which is really handy for me.
Moto. Moto mods are interesting but not a huge selling point for me.

Both don't have great history with updates, so they're about equal to me there.

So what do you think? Go for the oneplus 3 and have the better specs but take a hit in battery (and storage to a degee) or go for a moto z play for unequalled battery life?

Or any other alternatives in similar price range (in UK based so some phones are harder/more expensive here!)

Thanks again

It sounds like the decision for you is:

Build and Specs vs. Battery and SD card

If you haven't done so already you should try both models out for hand-feel, and to scrutinize the design. Quality of build is important; specs are good for comparing devices on paper, but I don't think you'd see any real-life differences except maybe for gaming. I've got to have a monster battery so that factor alone would tilt me in Moto's direction.

RadiantDuck

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Z has an AMOLED screen, so that's better. I would dare to say the speaker is also better.

The performance difference is negligible, the battery difference is huge. Only if you want to play heavy games I would consider the OP3.

They both have 5.5 inch 1080p amoled screens. Not sure which one is better though. I'm not a heavy gamer. Some emulation but my moto G 3rd gen handled that so not too worried.

RadiantDuck

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
It sounds like the decision for you is:

Build and Specs vs. Battery and SD card

If you haven't done so already you should try both models out for hand-feel, and to scrutinize the design. Quality of build is important; specs are good for comparing devices on paper, but I don't think you'd see any real-life differences except maybe for gaming. I've got to have a monster battery so that factor alone would tilt me in Moto's direction.

Yeah that's a fair summary!

I'd love to have a hands on with them but I think it will be difficult. The oneplus 3 has recently been taken on by the o2 carrier in the UK, so I could have a play. The moto z play is online only so I doubt I'll be able to.

I am leaning heavily towards the killer battery life. It would be novel to have 2+ days battery life!

RadiantDuck

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
One thing that does worry me about the z play is on screen buttons and amoled. How real is the potential for burn in these days? The oneplus 3 has capacitive buttons which negates the issue somewhat.

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the same boat, but I'm ultimately deciding on the Moto Z Play. I also toyed with getting a G5, too, now that the price is down, but you just can't beat the battery life of the Play, especially when I'd be coming from a phone where I'm used to having a removable battery.

Reviews and word of mouth from actual users all say that it performs just as well as the SD820 models and that you'd hardly notice any differences, if any, unless you're playing graphically intensive games. So, unless you're a hardcore mobile gamers, the OP3 doesn't have any advantage there. Even if you do plan to play a lot of games, it sounds like the MZP still performs well enough, with the added benefit of not worrying that you just drained half a days worth of use from your phone.

At the end of the day, the best phone is the phone that you can use. For me, without having to constantly monitor my usage and charging or carrying around a spare battery, no phone will last me until the end of the day except for the Moto Z Play... So that's what I'm buying.

The only downside that I could really think of about the MZP vs the OP3 is that I would have been happier with OxygenOS over Moto apps.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Here's the thing the s820 is a more powerful chip but it throttles to keep thermals in check when being pushed for a significant time.

Eric Xu1

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Have anyone noticed performance issues with the Moto Z Play? Any slowdowns or dropped frame rates when playing games on Asphalt 8? And how's the camera between the two?

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Have anyone noticed performance issues with the Moto Z Play? Any slowdowns or dropped frame rates when playing games on Asphalt 8? And how's the camera between the two?

Oneplus 3 wins in the camera department. The Moto z play is doable but the Oneplus is actually a really good camera. One of the best I've used this year after the Galaxy s7 series.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Absolutely zero performance issues with the Z Play. Camera isn't great (isn't bad either), but battery life is epic and everything else feels the same as a flagship.

Sailindawg

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Amoled burn in. I'm using a 2 year old moto x, used a Samsung galaxy s3 for 2 years before that. Both had amoled screens. Neither had screen burn in. I also didn't leave the screen on for extended periods on the same image. I don't know why one would. I use Nova launcher and can hide the task bar and notification bar. Hiding the notification bar could help prevent burn in. I don't see this as an issue anymore.

RadiantDuck

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Amoled burn in. I'm using a 2 year old moto x, used a Samsung galaxy s3 for 2 years before that. Both had amoled screens. Neither had screen burn in. I also didn't leave the screen on for extended periods on the same image. I don't know why one would. I use Nova launcher and can hide the task bar and notification bar. Hiding the notification bar could help prevent burn in. I don't see this as an issue anymore.

Brilliant, thank you!

girinath

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
Saw many people say the performance is almost same even with one plus having snapdragon 820 leaving heavy games. But multitasking is just ok in the z play.
If you use your phone heavily switching between apps and playing demanding games than z play is not worth it.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Saw many people say the performance is almost same even with one plus having snapdragon 820 leaving heavy games. But multitasking is just ok in the z play.
If you use your phone heavily switching between apps and playing demanding games than z play is not worth it.

Fair take, but I have not had this issue.

Roberto Zozaya

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
Another question, I'm leaning over the Z Play, but I can get the OP2 (not the 3) a little cheaper where I'm at.
Would there be much difference? I have a X Play which so far I like, but I'm giving that to my wife, so I want something that would be a nice upgrade without breaking the bank.

Soundtallica

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Another question, I'm leaning over the Z Play, but I can get the OP2 (not the 3) a little cheaper where I'm at.
Would there be much difference? I have a X Play which so far I like, but I'm giving that to my wife, so I want something that would be a nice upgrade without breaking the bank.

I wouldn't. Worse camera, no NFC, and most of all the Snapdragon 810 is a piece of crap.

punk999

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm actually selling my galaxy s5 for Moto z play, but I wonder how the amoled of Moto is compared to Galaxy amoled?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress