Battery Drain Problem

Droid7

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I bought the Moto Z Play primarily for the best in class battery life. I purchased the phone two weeks ago and never believed I was getting the same battery life that I read reviewers were getting. I would lose 30% overnight with Android System using by far the highest percentage of battery. Research led me to wipe the cache in in the bootloader, disabled the settings backup, went into safe mode, even factory reset the phone three different times. None of these solutions fixed the problem. I read about the Android 6.01 wakelock bug and I believe I had that from the get go. The phone never sleeps at night nor do I believe it went into Doze mode. There is a problem with wakelocks, and I am not even 100% sure what they are. There isn't a fix to the wakelock bug.

Because I had the phone less than 2 weeks, I was able to exchange it for a new one with Verizon under their return policy. Of course, since they said they could find nothing wrong with the phone and it was not truly defective, then I was to pay $35 restock fee. This is after them trying to convince me to not exchange it at all. I went round and round with them and finally was able to get them to waive the restock fee and they sent a new phone overnight. When I mentioned wakelocks was the problem, one VZ person asked me what that app was. They were completely unaware. Frustrating when I know more about Android than the repair tech.

So, after one night with the new phone, I lost just 2% battery overnight. I am so happy I persisted with VZ and exchanged the phone for a new one and I seem to be getting the battery life that reviewers and other users rave about.

To the people with the same problem that cannot exchange their phone, I could not find any fixes for this problem and I feel bad for those that are a bit stuck. Perhaps Nougat will come soon and fix things.

VZ did say that nobody else reported this problem on this phone, so if anyone is experiencing what I did, then please report it to Verizon! They need people who actually use the phones to tell them that something is just not right even after their basic testing.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Android System using a lot of battery on a new phone or after an OS update is normal - it has to download a lot. (There are many "levels" of an OD version - if you get an earlier one, the phone updates to the current on. If you get the current one it doesn't have to update.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress