Don't know if I should return phone to store

tbolt86

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm coming from a Nexus 5x. My friend recommended the z play for better battery life. But I've now had it for 24 hours, and i might return it. Basically the only good thing about it is the battery thats it.

Problems/annoyances:

The back cover does not sit flush on top theres a gigantic gap that will let the cover easily come off

My T-Mobile LTE signal is so bad compared to my 5x its simply not acceptable at all. I suspect the magnets on the back of the phone are to blame for this. Im in nyc my signal shouldn't be this bad. https://s27.postimg.org/l4o6c0m83/Photo_Grid_1484683006682.png

Low volume!!!!

No led notifications????

Phone is so slippery im afraid to ever use it out of the house in fear of dropping it

Horrible pictures in low light

Hate the small buttons on the side compared to the big ones on the 5x its too difficult to take screenshots

That's all i can think of at the moment im sure there's a few more but honestly aside from being a faster phone and better battery I'm really tempted to go back to my 5x even tho i really wanted a new phone but all these problems idk if i still wanna keep this phone a lot of this is simply unacceptable

inversvs

Jan 7, 2017
Visit site
I found signal to be a strength on the Moto Z Play. Weird. Low light shots are horrid on it. Either way, a style shell fits better if you remove the plastic film on the back.

huungryshark

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
Yeah signal definitely amazing , better than any of my other phones.

got the unlocked dual sim spanish, july patch notification bug free.

There are no magnets at the back of the phone at all.

Don't worry dropping it, I dropped so many times, just small dents it's a tank of a phone, no need cases.
slap on the leather style shell, it's the best

moto display better than led light and I hear notification sound when message comes in, too ,so okay :)

streetkilln

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Moto z play isnt ment to be top of the line for everything thats y theres moto z, its ment to be a power house of a battery. Its ment to last long. The camera isnt a big issue since the whole idea of the moto z line is the mods hints a camera mod. If your afraid to use it naked use a bumper case. Verizon sells one.
What back shell are you using if its 3rd party there might be issues if its moto z own i suggest contact them it shouldnt be lile that.

Also Moto hasnt used led notification light for a few years since launched moto display. Thats ur fault not for not researching.

huungryshark

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
LED notification lights haha oldschool, think my blackberrys had those a decade ago

moto you pull it out if your pocket or wave over the the device and you see everything important.

also set sound notification and vibration when message comes in

this_is_nascar

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Purchased my Moto Z Play Droid strictly for its lower price. If I could have found a new Turbo to replace mine, I would have gone that route in a heartbeat.

tbolt86

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Day 2 and my signal is still pretty bad i never see it full bars ever mean while my 5x on my tablets sim card is full bar no matter where i go. That sucks thst theres no led im not a fan of the moto display i find it annoying i liked the led. I didn't research cause my friend never steers me wrong when he recommends what phone to get but he might have been wrong this time. And even he is thinking of returning his as well. And i still have low notification volume despite the device help fix. My vol is all the way up. If it weren't for the bad signal and sound i might look past the other problems. But 11h sot with 16% left that's making it very hard for me to return it its like a battery miracle. Btw im using the stock shell. After bending it a few times it fits a little better but still a noticeable gap. My last moto phone was the droid razr maxx in 2010 I believe

Something is also keeping my phone awake and wifi on

6fbd81fe62bf70b01dba493c6a4795da.jpg

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
That sucks thst theres no led im not a fan of the moto display i find it annoying i liked the led. I didn't research cause my friend never steers me wrong when he recommends what phone to get but he might have been wrong this time. And even he is thinking of returning his as well.

Moto hasn't been using LED notifications since the 2013 models.

On2Vegas

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Day 2 and my signal is still pretty bad i never see it full bars ever mean while my 5x on my tablets sim card is full bar no matter where i go. That sucks thst theres no led im not a fan of the moto display i find it annoying i liked the led. I didn't research cause my friend never steers me wrong when he recommends what phone to get but he might have been wrong this time. And even he is thinking of returning his as well. And i still have low notification volume despite the device help fix. My vol is all the way up. If it weren't for the bad signal and sound i might look past the other problems. But 11h sot with 16% left that's making it very hard for me to return it its like a battery miracle. Btw im using the stock shell. After bending it a few times it fits a little better but still a noticeable gap. My last moto phone was the droid razr maxx in 2010 I believe

Something is also keeping my phone awake and wifi on

Sounds like a couple issues. First being, as you admitted, you didn't research this phone. The Play isn't known for it's camera. If that's important to you, you should have dug deeper. The Force has the better camera, but worse battery life. No LED notification is another thing you would have discovered. Moto Display, along with Voice and Actions are the major selling points of their devices.

Second issue is you may have a defective unit. Signal has always been one of Motorola's strengths, so maybe something is wrong. The low-notification is a known issue with some units. I don't have it, but others do. I have three shells all which sit flush to the edges. Perhaps try an exchange first, since you're probably within the replacement period.

Also, consider a rogue app in regard to wifi problem.

tbolt86

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Crap i may try to exchange first if its still not good ill just return it. That sucks no led snd that's its selling points when im not interested in those features. I don't think its a rouge app i have the same apps on the 5x without issue and installed each app individually rather than restore.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Hey tbolt86, sorry you have had a bad experience with the device. The specs are pretty decent and i would consider it 'Mid Range' but at the end of the day its personal preference. Based on your feedback about the device, i would recommend returning it. If you don't like more than 3 things about a device, then its not for you unfortunately. (Low volume, No led notifications, Phone slippery, Horrible low light photos, small buttons)

I would also say for future purchases, maybe go and play on a demo device in your local phone stores before making purchase. Will save you time and possibly money. :)

EDIT: i see you returned it.

tbolt86

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Hey tbolt86, sorry you have had a bad experience with the device. The specs are pretty decent and i would consider it 'Mid Range' but at the end of the day its personal preference. Based on your feedback about the device, i would recommend returning it. If you don't like more than 3 things about a device, then its not for you unfortunately. (Low volume, No led notifications, Phone slippery, Horrible low light photos, small buttons)

I would also say for future purchases, maybe go and play on a demo device in your local phone stores before making purchase. Will save you time and possibly money. :)

EDIT: i see you returned it.
They didn't have any demos unfortunately