battery manager

acsteve

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
New with my Motorola droid 2. I have come from a blackberry storm 1 and a storm 2. Had new phone for two days now and thoroughly delighted with it. However I'm going through some learning curves here and have a question about something I just noticed. My battery manager no longer seems to be functioning. When I press it ( the animated battery icon ) I get an error message window pop up, that reads as follows: the application settings ( process com.android.settings) has been stopped unexpectedly. Please try again. Slightly below that is an option tab titled Force Close. When I first noticed it last night I thought okay maybe a little quirk, but I still have it today so I'm wondering is this something simple or do I have a bigger problem at hand.when the message says it cannot access, it looks as though it's talking about a web address. Is that what it's doing accessing the web, or local on my phone for this malfunction? Not sorry to be so uninformed but I am virtually new to Linux and android and would appreciate any info. Edit: before I even post,I just remembered I installed task killer. Then I read that may not be a good idea and deleted it,now when I think about it that would be when the trouble started. So I guess this just took a new direction, what do I do? Thank you for any help.

Steve

Shooperman

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
I have had the same problem ever since Verizon pushed the last software update. Mine works only about 30% of the time. I have done a full wipe and reloaded the OS and I still get the Force Close. As far as I can tell, it's a software bug that will hopefully be fixed with the next update.

acsteve

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Wow Ok thanks. I did not expect that. I thought maybe it was the app killer i put on then deleted. Hopefully this will get addressed..

LMO

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
acsteve, do you have the latest OS update? You may want to check if it was ever updated.. ya never know. Just go to Settings --> About Phone -- System updates. It will tell you whether your phone is up to date. The reason I advise this is because I had the exact same problem until I upgraded to the latest version of the OS. I haven't had that happen since.

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I have the latest update and it very rarely does this. It works like 90% if the time or more. When you reboot the phone it should work again, are you still having this problem even right after a fresh boot?

Rev.

acsteve

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
LMO yes its up to date..thanks..REV yes i rebooted and sure enough it worked.. Thanks both of you. I may be going the way of root before long. Hoping that will help though its not a real bad thing for me.

Shooperman

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Yes, rebooting the phone should help, but the problem has always come back for me. Rooting the phone will not make a difference. All rooting will do is grant superuser permission (access to the root directories) to an app that requests it. Rooting alone will not fix any problems or make the phone run any better.

LMO

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I agree with Shooperman. The problem always came back even after rebooting. The only way I got rid of it was after updating to the latest OS version. But since you are already there, and Shooperman already tried a reset, not sure what else would fix that. I do have an app installed called Battery Indicator (Darshan Computing, free version) that can be found in the Market. I am wondering if that helped fix it for me. You may want to give that a try... who knows. ?

acsteve

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Hey, thanks again for the replies and your answers.Shooperman, I am aware that just rooting my phone will not fix the problem. However and I'm going to post this question in a different area, I am curious as to what the ROMs are and what they do. In my newness to rooting a phone I'm afraid I have no idea ROMs do. I do know one thing about why I want to root my phone. When I buy a computer instead of building one, before I do anything I wipe the hard drive and install my own OS. The main reason for this is because of the bloatware that comes with any store-bought computer. For me I truly believe they are a source of a lot of problems. I presume, arguably this would or would not be the same case with mobile phones. I've seen it with some other phones I've had in the past and sure do not like the trend. These applications, once turned off or deleted to be put right back on. This is so outrageous to me. I guess I'm just too old school, if I pay for it, it's mine. If I do not want software on that phone, I should be able to delete it and never worry with it again. I do understand programming licenses and how I do not really owned that, and while I don't like that either it's tolerable. But this nonsense of installing third-party apps on our phones and leaving us no way to rid ourselves of this garbage I find reprehensible. Strong language I know, but it's how I feel. So if rooting will allow me to rid myself of this, then that's exactly what I'll do. Anyways, I would say thanks for letting me rant but nobody gave me permission to,You guys up and very helpful here and I appreciate that. And I do so love this new phone.

Steve

Shooperman

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Hey, thanks again for the replies and your answers.Shooperman, I am aware that just rooting my phone will not fix the problem. However and I'm going to post this question in a different area, I am curious as to what the ROMs are and what they do. In my newness to rooting a phone I'm afraid I have no idea ROMs do. I do know one thing about why I want to root my phone. When I buy a computer instead of building one, before I do anything I wipe the hard drive and install my own OS. The main reason for this is because of the bloatware that comes with any store-bought computer. For me I truly believe they are a source of a lot of problems. I presume, arguably this would or would not be the same case with mobile phones. I've seen it with some other phones I've had in the past and sure do not like the trend. These applications, once turned off or deleted to be put right back on. This is so outrageous to me. I guess I'm just too old school, if I pay for it, it's mine. If I do not want software on that phone, I should be able to delete it and never worry with it again. I do understand programming licenses and how I do not really owned that, and while I don't like that either it's tolerable. But this nonsense of installing third-party apps on our phones and leaving us no way to rid ourselves of this garbage I find reprehensible. Strong language I know, but it's how I feel. So if rooting will allow me to rid myself of this, then that's exactly what I'll do. Anyways, I would say thanks for letting me rant but nobody gave me permission to,You guys up and very helpful here and I appreciate that. And I do so love this new phone.

Steve

You're welcome. This site has a ton of valuable information regarding rooting and ROMs, and it sounds like you already know a fair amount about technology, so you should not have any problems. However, if all you are looking to do is remove bloatware, I would suggest trying this before rooting and loading a custom ROM.

LMO

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Hey Steve, I totally agree with you on the bloatware point. After you root (I used Z4root --quick and simple app), then you can remove a lot of the bloat. For removing bloatware, I use SystemApp Remover (avail. in the Market). You can backup the bloatware apps (it saves them to a folder on your SD card) before removing/uninstalling them. Works great to free up memory for me! I do have Titanium Backup also, and have used that to Freeze some apps, but ended up unFreezing them and using SystemApp Remover on them, because I feel it's better for freeing up space (and actually removing them from the system app tray)! So you might want to give that a try. Good luck in your new Droid adventures! You will find that this is one awesome phone! :)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheRepairGuy