Got my D2 Global yesterday...and dropped it last night

girlinthesw

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
After having the X for several weeks and not being able to acclimate, and dropping it a total of three times (only once being on asphalt--it fell out of pocket because it did not fit), I bought a used Droid 2 Global on eBay for $275. Thing arrived thursday, MINT condition. THis is a large purchase for a college student.

I activated it yesterday morning, and it came with this grippy rubber case. I put it in it's case, and last night...Was running across a parking lot..and guess what somehow came out of my pocket onto the asphalt?

I heard the clatter and stopped, cringing, "DEAR GOD PLEASE SAY IT AIN'T SO!" I turned around. There it was, on the pavement. Face down...and the cover (half anyways) had POPPED OFF. I picked it up, inspected it everywhere and tried not to scream. Three little tiny microscopic 'dents' (?) in the crome edges, and a little bitty white scuff by the magnifying glass. Since then, I've been obsessed with it. I turn it on (you know, unlock it), and the screen is dim for a split second and then brightens to full brightness. IS THIS NORMAL, or did i do it to it?

Is there any thing I should be worried about if it survived the fall? Any damage I'm not seeing..on the inside? I FEEL TERRIBLE! Also...if the case popped off, did it absorb ANY of the fall?

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
It takes a little bit for the ambient light sensor to properly adjust the brightness, I don't think that was caused by the fall.

The case popping off is called "energy of deformation" - by bending the case enough to cause it to pop open it absorbed more energy than if it hadn't popped open. Think of it like a car's crumple zone.

However, since the phone probably bounced the case wasn't there to protect against the abrasion damage from the asphalt. With my BB I had two Seidio cases give their lives to protect the phone, with the Motos I've decided to go naked and have nothings more than minor cosmetic damage. For me, being careful not to drop the phone is a much better method than relying on a case to protect it. ;)

corydunbar

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
It takes a little bit for the ambient light sensor to properly adjust the brightness, I don't think that was caused by the fall.

The case popping off is called "energy of deformation" - by bending the case enough to cause it to pop open it absorbed more energy than if it hadn't popped open. Think of it like a car's crumple zone.

However, since the phone probably bounced the case wasn't there to protect against the abrasion damage from the asphalt. With my BB I had two Seidio cases give their lives to protect the phone, with the Motos I've decided to go naked and have nothings more than minor cosmetic damage. For me, being careful not to drop the phone is a much better method than relying on a case to protect it. ;)

couldn't have said it better myself

darrylmendo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Same thing happened to me. Got the d2 on release day and two days later i dropped it hard on asphalt. Didn't have a case. Scratches and chips galore! So i know that exact feeling you had. Luckily, it also caused a dead pixel and that was just enough for vzw to exchange it for free. Thank god!

Seidio does make the best cases and I've had one for a bb curve, HTC hero, and now my D2. Highly recommended. Slim, yet sturdy and feels great. Go to seidioonline.com
You won't regret it!

msallam

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
hello

hello i would like to ask if you know how to unlock D2G????? please i need help