Popularity Confusion?

heathro1281

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I see the D3 in public, I am waiting on mine from back order. My wife is waiting on hers from another store due to back order. People or complaining that the online and phone sales are back ordered.

but yet there is very little action in the normal post your impressions/photos/help threads, no rooting threads and no hacking activity?

Is it a lack of activity on the forums, or is it faux popularity of a phone that was just low in production numbers?

Thoughts? Anyone have truth in numbers?

mtva24#WN

May 13, 2011
Visit site
phandroid has a lot of droid 3 activity, i'm not sure about this website...I have the droid 3 but I'm too tired to really post. I don't think you can root and hack because the bootloader is locked, so that takes care of that issue...

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Who knows I ordered mine yesterday over the phone but I did see it was backordered on-line but I was told mine should ship today and arrive on Tuesday. But the backorder could be due to limited stock or a bug with the software. They may not want to push this phone and try promote the bionic and the rest of their high end products

The Droid Shnoid

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I think in some ways, its the phone that no one talks about.

I feel that the people who buy this type of phone aren't the modders or gotta-have-the-latest-greatest-thing type (which tend to produce the most activity), we just want a good phone that works solidly with little problems. Which, except for the few issues listed in another thread, is what we have.

Until there is a OS update, hacked/unlocked boot loader, I tend to think this is the kind of the volume you'll see. There isn't anything super special spec-wise compared to what else is out there, or about to come out (except for the keyboard... and it's pretty much either love them or hate them), so most others who blather about that kind of stuff have moved on to what's about to come out (cuz the Droid 3 is sooo 4 weeks ago) or what they can pimp out the most.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
The Droid 3 was never going to get much traction with the ?ahem? frequent forum posters? when the Bionic is seen as Verizon?s next ?top dog? and it?s been in the cooker at the same time.

Funny thing though, a lot of those posters have already decided that the Bionic is old news and are now rabidly talking about the GSII, and the three or four other suspected uber-phones after that. That?s how it goes.

If there are still a number of hacker-nerds that still profess for a dedicated, real keyboard then the Droid 3 will get ?unlocked? (assuming Moto doesn?t come through with their ambiguous comments about unlocking phones for us.) It?s the best phone out with a real keyboard and from the looks of future releases, it will stay that way for a little while.

-Suntan

spacecasespiff

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
It will get root. The dx2 was locked and now it has root. It took a few months for the dx2 so it will tkae a few months for the d3 as well. But I don't really care I love my phone. Ya your not going to read a lot about this phone because it not rooted yet so not Much to talk about.