Droid 4's micro USB receptor position really inconvenient!

New Daddy

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Overall, I like my Droid 4, but its micro USB receptor location (on the lower left side) is really inconvenient.

First, the micro USB port gets blocked by my car generic car cradle's holding arms. It becomes impossible to charge the phone through the micro USB port while the phone is on the cradle. Conceivably

Secondly, when I use an app that doesn't rotate all four ways, I can't watch the app while charging the phone. For example, the ESPN app only plays back at the landscape mode with the phone's left side down. So, It becomes impossible to use these apps while charging the phone.

Anybody similarly frustrated? Any workaround these issues?

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Yes, equally frustrated that the screen doesn't rotate to work with the right side down. I haven't found a work around yet for that. The only obvious work around is to buy the Moto charging dock...which won't work when the phone is in a case...and there are no holsters available for a "naked" phone. Seems like a bit of poor planning on the accessories front for this phone. :)

As for the generic car cradle, I modified my cradle so that it will fit properly into the cradle while charging. I used a battery powered micro-cautery pencil (used in surgery) to carve out the hole needed. I'm sure my Dremel would have worked just as well. It's not pretty, but it works.