Changing alarm tone

Swordsman969

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
My previous phone was a Droid Maxx, and it was easy to add new alarm tones or music. I plugged the phone into my laptop, opened the alarm folder, and dragged a file from the computer into that folder. I now have a Maxx 2, and I can't find the appropriate folder. So I'm left with only the default alarm tones, and I REALLY want something different. Anyone have any tips or hints?

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
On my Maxx 2 there is a folder in the internal storage called Alarms. That's where the new files should be placed. I also have separate folders for ringtones and notifications. I just tried copying a file into the alarm folder (just like you mentioned) and it showed up in the pick list.

Swordsman969

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
I've looked through pretty much every folder and done a search function, but I can't find the Alarms folder. Which seems really, really odd since the default alarms all are present and work just fine. What am I missing?

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, it does seem odd. I have an alarms folder in the root of my Internal Storage. Are you running Marshmallow and if you are have you done a hard reset after the upgrade? I'm grasping at straws here. I'm running Marshmallow but have not performed a hard reset because my phone is running ok. I usually do a reset after an upgrade but decided to try it out for a while first.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Just create a folder called "alarms" and put any alarm tones you want - they will show up in the alarm tone picker.

Kashton

Banned
Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, it does seem odd. I have an alarms folder in the root of my Internal Storage. Are you running Marshmallow and if you are have you done a hard reset after the upgrade? I'm grasping at straws here. I'm running Marshmallow but have not performed a hard reset because my phone is running ok. I usually do a reset after an upgrade but decided to try it out for a while first.

I just picked up the Maxx 2 and this is pretty much my first experience with Android this year. I'm deeply Apple and quite knowledgeable with that OS. Do you mind letting me know how to do the hard restart on this device. I've just updated to Marshmallow and haven't tried the hard reboot yet.

Thanks

Don

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Sure, just go to settings>Backup and Reset>Factory data reset. Make sure you have everything backed first as all your data will be erased during the reset. I did finally do a hard reset after the Marshmallow update and it runs smoother now. Good luck.

Edit: I forgot to mention that your sd card should remain untouched during the reset. Emphasis on should. :)

Last edited: