wakelock problems

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I think I am having a wakelock problem. I downloaded Wakelock Detector and have let it run since last night. Consistently, the two biggest apps that are wakeup triggers are Facebook and Swype. Facebook as caused a wakeup trigger 80 times in the past 4 hours and Swype has caused a wakeup trigger 60 times in that same span. Is this normal? I have no sense for what a normal number of wakeup triggers would be. For comparison's sake, nothing else is even close. The next one is Yahoo Mail with 25 wakeup triggers. As far as Facebook, I have disabled sync, location, and everything else. It should only refresh when I open the app (which I haven't done at all).

As an aside, why would Yahoo Mail be causing so many wakeup triggers when Gmail is not?

Any thought would be greatly appreciated!

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
As an aside, why would Yahoo Mail be causing so many wakeup triggers when Gmail is not?

Just a guess - the gmail app does not actually sync itself. There is a process that syncs all Google services for your account.

I've set up my Yahoo account to automatically forward all messages to my gmail account. Then I put a filter in gmail that any message sent to my Yahoo automatically get labeled with a gmail label that identifies it as a Yahoo message (to make it easy to see them), and then set gmail to be able to send messages as my yahoo mail address. This gives me the advantage of using only the Gmail app on the phone, plus gmail's vastly superior spam filters make sure I don't see the junk.

like2angle

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
My observation is that it's not the number of wake locks but CPU time that consumes battery. The radios and screen exempted as it's easy to see how much they use. I get a lot from wake locks from Facebook but at the end of the day it's way down on the list of apps in terms of battery consumption. Hope this helps those of you looking for battery drain issues.

A further observation, I have been in a week signal area for 2 days which has had a dramatic effect on battery life. I can't find that listed on any of the utilities.

jfriend33

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
My observation is that it's not the number of wake locks but CPU time that consumes battery. The radios and screen exempted as it's easy to see how much they use. I get a lot from wake locks from Facebook but at the end of the day it's way down on the list of apps in terms of battery consumption. Hope this helps those of you looking for battery drain issues.

A further observation, I have been in a week signal area for 2 days which has had a dramatic effect on battery life. I can't find that listed on any of the utilities.

I agree with the cpu time. Maybe it's due to how the phone works with the extra processors? All I know is some days are worse than others.

Sent from my XT1080m using AC Forums mobile app.

optimum5

Jan 27, 2011
albert5x5.com
It says "mediaserver".
If it's the problem I think it is, it could be that you may have an incomplete file (not fully downloaded or something like that) that is constantly triggering the android media scanner. It could also be a file that an app is trying to access, but can't complete the function, so it keeps repeating itself over and over again. Usually it's related to photo, video, or audio files. Just find what file that is and delete it. If you are unsure what file it is, then I suggest moving all related media out of the phone first, then see if it happens again.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I am having this same problem and its saying the wakelock is from mediaserver..

And Wakelock detail says AudioOut_2 has 2h 47m.

This is after having my phone off charger for 3 hours and never touching it --- streaming anything. The odd thing I noticed is that at this time a volume up down wasn't changing the ringer volume but changing audio playback volume. So it's like it thinks its streaming something even though it isn't.

Wonder what the culprit is. The only app I USE for streaming often is Pocket Cast -- although I also have google play music and mlb at bat installed (haven't run those since last reboot). So I wonder if this is an issue w/ pocket cast.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Short of the better battery stats idea, 3 Tips, try these in order.
1) Download "Greenify" (this only works if you have root) or temporarily uninstall/freeze Facebook. It's a partial wake lock hog. Keeping it hibernated with Greenify will probably help right off the bat. I keep apps with known wake lock issues hibernated when not in use. Go through all, and I mean ALL of your apps and see if any are set to update on a timeframe like every 30 minutes, 2 hours, etc. Your MLB app probably has a really frequent update interval by default. This will cause a partial wake lock. If you use "The Score" or any other sports app, then check those too. If you have a weather app and/or a weather widget, check those too (especially widgets). Turn them to manual update. If your problem isn't solved, move to #2

2) Turn off haptic feedback EVERYWHERE as well as dial pad touch tones, touch sounds, and screen lock sound (as well as vibrate on touch). I know it sounds weird, and people will argue, but they are wrong. Somehow, for whatever reason, these things take advantage of the audio_2 process. I have no clue why haptic feedback does, but it does. It's done it since the N1, I've seen it on 3 of my Android devices, and several friends have seen it on everything from S2's - S4's, to HTC Sensations. The first thing we do with a new device is turn all this stuff off. This hurts nothing to try.

3) Wipe your SD card and copy all your data back over. Again, sounds weird, but mediascanner can go nuts too.

Start with those three things and we'll go from there. The fact that you did a factory reset and nothing changed leads me to believe that it is either the apps you use, or the way you use your device (all those haptic feedback and audio settings) or a combination of the two. Bear in mind, I'm not suggesting you neuter your phone, I'm suggesting these things to help identify what is causing these partial wake lock issues. If you can learn what they are, then you'll probably feel better about them in the future and they won't bother you so bad. It's the unknown that can be so freak'in aggravating!

jfriend33

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if I greenify facebook, and set my notifications to just come via Gmail (I. I'm not that involved with fb, I get a max of 5 a day) if it would be a significant battery savings. I know fb can be a ram hog.

optimum5

Jan 27, 2011
albert5x5.com
3) Wipe your SD card and copy all your data back over. Again, sounds weird, but mediascanner can go nuts too.
Not weird at all, Android mediascanner can go nuts. It's a known problem that Google seems to slowly be fixing as the OS gets updated. Apps that deal with audio, video, or photo files, are usually the culprit.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if I greenify facebook, and set my notifications to just come via Gmail (I. I'm not that involved with fb, I get a max of 5 a day) if it would be a significant battery savings. I know fb can be a ram hog.

I greenify lots of stuff. It's a little bit annoying doing it being on a Galaxy Nexus because some apps are slow to load, but all in all I'm OK with it. My current partial wake locks are pretty much attributed to Google Services and a very small amount of audioout_2 stuff due to audible notifications of emails, texts, etc, which is perfectly acceptable and necessary. I leave the google services stuff alone since they are a core need for me. They aren't too bad and shutting them off would kind of ruin the experience for me.

I've really enjoyed Greenify. It's a great way to keep apps handy that you want to use, without having them entirely destroy your battery life.
Not weird at all, Android mediascanner can go nuts. It's a known problem that Google seems to slowly be fixing as the OS gets updated. Apps that deal with audio, video, or photo files, are usually the culprit.
I agree, not weird at all. It just sounds like something that can't possibly be true. I've never had mediascanner issues on my GNex, but in my SGS1 days I'd routinely search for, and delete all files ending in: .nomedia

That usually took care of the issue.

optimum5

Jan 27, 2011
albert5x5.com
I've never had mediascanner issues on my GNex, but in my SGS1 days I'd routinely search for, and delete all files ending in: .nomedia

That usually took care of the issue.
I actually had mediascanner issues on my GNex. There were two situations that was common with it. A corrupted photo file that kept triggering it, and a media player app that kept looking for all my audio files. Deleting files, and uninstalling / reinstalling apps, seemed to solve my problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member