How Fast is it?

LlamaGS

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm curious. How fast is this thing? I plan on getting one when I switch to Verizon, but how does it perform? Faster than a GS4? Anyway, preferably real world performance, since benchmarks aren't a great indicator.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

jbeachy

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Haven't used the S4 except to play with it in the store. I see numerous complaints on the S4 forums about lagginess, I think presumed to be a byproduct of the Samsung menu system overlaying the native Android OS.

I can say that the Droid MAXX is extremely snappy with nearly instantaneous response to every menu tap. It loads apps and web pages just as rapidly. Seems very fast to me.

Posted via Android Central App with my Droid MAXX

doggy2965

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Maxx is very smooth. S4 is faster at times but laggier at times. Maxx never seems to get laggy. Overall Maxx feels faster

Posted via Android Central App

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I, too only have brief in-store experience with the S4. Compared to my Thunderbolt, it flies and is superior in a couple of the ways you might mean "speed." First of all, the Maxx is more responsive. I had been having horrible lag on the TB for simple tasks, like waiting for the phone dialer pad when I hit the phone key. Not a hint of lag yet with the Maxx.

Second, the network speed is better. I had been getting terrible speeds over the LTE Network, and my speedtests on the Maxx are consistently better, but more importantly, I use the paid version of Network Monitor Mini and I can watch the download speeds in actual use; they are consistently higher on the Maxx. Motorola's reputation for good radios seems to be well-founded. I also maintain 4G reception in places I was dropping to 3G.

GPS is faster, too. The Maxx receives both GPS and GLONASS signals so it zeros in faster and in more places. In addition, the GPS signal strength is higher using GPS Test

conan1071

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
I came from an S4 and that phone froze And had lag. None of this with the maxx

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

travaz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I have had mine for about a month and it preforms very well. I am in an urban area with really good 4g signal. Sometimes the Maxx beats my desktop (which is on cable internet) on the same sight. When I het a menu or phone dialer it is so quick I sometime hit a number on the dialer before I moved my finger. Super phone you cant go wrong .

LlamaGS

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Now that I know it is currently fast, how will it be for the next 2 years? I keep phones till contract' s end, so this concerns me.

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I don't think there is a reliable way to predict the future. I can only say that the new Maxx feels faster than my Thunderbolt did when it was new.

Posted from my XT1080M

xweb10

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Now that I know it is currently fast, how will it be for the next 2 years? I keep phones till contract' s end, so this concerns me.

In 2 years the Maxx will not be as fast as whatever the current tech is. So that is life...

Sent from my Nexus 7

::Montgomery::

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
I have not experienced any sort of lag with the Maxx. It has been nothing but fast, and super responsive. In comparison with my wife's S4, the Maxx seems much faster. But, I could be biased. :)

BlueLions81

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site

I do the same. I'm concerned about that too. There is no way to know how any phone will be in two years. This is why I got one that was released not too long ago. The Maxx is newer than the S4 so I would think it would be better 2 years from now. At least I'm hoping. I looked at the S4 too. Somebody recommended that phone, but I really wanted the bigger battery. I played with both the Maxx and the S4 at the store and I just liked the Maxx better. I looked at the Note 3, but it's huge and my hands are very small. I also wouldn't have been able to fit it in a smaller purse. I like the Maxx alot so far. Still getting used to all the different things it can do.

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Very fast. Negligible difference vs my brother's G2. We're at a point where all of the phone's being released now can handle anything you throw at it. We have hand held devices that are more powerful than some PC's. SGS4 is horrible. Samsung is scared that Google purchased Motorola and is trying to mimic google apps and give it to you preinstalled with no option to uninstall except disabling through app manager. A bunch of my friends have the GS4, after disabling about 50 apps, some which sit in the RAM and are unkillable, the phone is decent. Motorola's x8 processor blows every other phone's launcher navigation out of the water. And with Nova Launcher, not even the slightest bit of lag. Snap 600 with 2gb RAM will keep you very happy. Best Amoled screen that I've seen also. Thank you Moto for not using pentile anymore!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress