Can't get data access message to stop coming up while outside the US

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Anybody travel outside the country with their Droid Maxx and have some suggestions on how to get this message to stop popping up?

I'm on wifi that is kind of spotty so I think that might be the problem, but I've already denied access and it has popped up a million times, almost every time my screen turns on.

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1384830036239.jpg
    1384830036239.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 48

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I haven't traveled yet, but I think settings, "more" under wireless & networks, mobile networks, global data roaming access, deny data roaming access should do it. If not, turn off "data enabled".

JimBen73

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
Yea I had that pop up a bunch of times while in mexico. Never figured out how to take it off.

Posted via my awesome, longer lasting phone than yours aka droid MAXX

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I haven't traveled yet, but I think settings, "more" under wireless & networks, mobile networks, global data roaming access, deny data roaming access should do it. If not, turn off "data enabled".

Tried all of that. Appreciate the quick response, but unfortunately it just won't stop. Currently in Mexico and got a whole week to go so hopefully somebody can help me out.

CrazyRussian007

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Tried all of that. Appreciate the quick response, but unfortunately it just won't stop. Currently in Mexico and got a whole week to go so hopefully somebody can help me out.

Did you try Verizon support?

Posted via Android Central App

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

Weird. How about settings, more, mobile networks, network mode, switch to something other than global, LTE/CDMA if you have the vzw sim, LTE/gsm/umts if you have a foreign sim?

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Weird. How about settings, more, mobile networks, network mode, switch to something other than global, LTE/CDMA if you have the vzw sim, LTE/gsm/umts if you have a foreign sim?

Just switched it to LTE/CDMA. I have a vzw sim. Unfortunately, they still just keep on coming.

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Did you try Verizon support?

Posted via Android Central App

Have not yet tried vzw support. Guess I'll try that tomorrow. I also feel like it's affecting my battery as well. Getting like 25 hours, but with my old Bionic, when I was outside the country and I wasn't attached to any network, my phone lasted seemingly forever when it was asleep (and that battery sucked in the states) . Last night my battery was discharging faster than it normally does when sleeping - almost 2%/3% per hour. I usually discharge like .5 % per hour when my phone is just chilling on standby with a bunch of things syncing . Last night my phone was at 88% after 5 hours off the charger with literally zero usage.

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Turn off data... That should do it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2

That was actually the first thing I did. I've been turning it on and off playing with settings but it still seems to be connecting to something.

I've also had it on global network, CDMA/LTE, and I actually just switched to the last one- LTE/GSM/UMTS.

Even with no data (see snapshot #1), the are still bars connecting to something in the top right.

The LTE/GSM/UMTS appears to kill the bars in the top right. Maybe now it will stop.

Will keep you posted.

Snapshot #2 shows the bars gone now that I switched to LTE/GSM/UMTS.

Definitely a pain in the ***. My first inclination was to turn off data completely. That should work. Don't know why it doesn't

Attachments

• 1384840593773.jpg
    1384840593773.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 1384840611625.jpg
    1384840611625.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 16

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

Attachments

• 1384841219681.jpg
    1384841219681.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 1384841260677.jpg
    1384841260677.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 24

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
The snapshots didn't upload properly so I just re-did them.

Now that I connected to the LTE/GSM/UMTS, and the bars are gone completely, I assume that means my phone is not trying to connect to any network.

This seemed to work because I haven't had the original issue for about 45 min., which is easily a record considering how ridiculous it's been the last 2 days.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
If you don't need to make phone calls, did you ever try airplane mode and then manually turn on WiFi?

Even with data off there will be bars to show the voice signal.

BlueLions81

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Happens to me quite a bit at home and I'm not even outside of the country. It seems to think I'm Canada at times, but I'm not. I haven't figured out how to stop it yet. It happened moreso with my Bionic, but still happens every now and then with my Maxx. I just keep hitting the deny button or cancel. Not sure what else to do.

perkdog65

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I did not have this problem when I was in Spain a few months back. I did like you and disabled Data and Data roaming while I was on the plane over the Atlantic and just used WiFi once in country. But I don't remember seeing this message come up.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I did not have this problem when I was in Spain a few months back. I did like you and disabled Data and Data roaming while I was on the plane over the Atlantic and just used WiFi once in country. But I don't remember seeing this message come up.

You were probably in an area without any CDMA networks. My guess is that the people who saw that message in Mexico and Canada were in range and connected to a roaming CDMA network. I know that beeare was because you can see the little triangle roaming indicator in those screenshots.

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
You were probably in an area without any CDMA networks. My guess is that the people who saw that message in Mexico and Canada were in range and connected to a roaming CDMA network. I know that beeare was because you can see the little triangle roaming indicator in those screenshots.

That makes sense, but shouldn't it not do this if I turn off data?

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
If you don't need to make phone calls, did you ever try airplane mode and then manually turn on WiFi?

Even with data off there will be bars to show the voice signal.

Thank you for the suggestion. This seemed to be the best way to go, as I do not need to make calls at all.

I didn't realize you could actually connect to wifi while in airplane mode.

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I think that turning off data should turn off that message, yes. That's a bug.

Yeah, seems like a bug to me. Just turned on airplane mode and manually turned on wifi. This seems to be working great so far since I do not have to make any calls.