How do you get notifications to light up the lock screen & preview texts/WhatsApp?[SOLVED]

Not My Name

Jul 19, 2020
Visit site
I've recently switched from an iPhone. I had been an iPhone user since 2010. I am enjoying a lot of the changes than switching to Android has brought me however there was one that i hated and that's that instead of getting text messages (be they stock text app or whatsapp) light up the lock screen so that
1) I could see clearly i'd got a message come through
2) if i just hit the home button (i was an iPhone 6S user) or power button i could get enough of a preview of whatever the text message was about & who it was from so i could decide whether to reply there and then or wait a while.

When i made the shift to my Galaxy S10 all i got was the screen remaining dark but a little icon coming on saying i had received a text.
Yeah that's wonderful, but what does it say? Who's it from?
Oh that's right, i have to now go and open the phone up and check it to see if it's important or not.

pGcjjP6.jpg

hljg0I5.jpg

My wife has a Galaxy A71 and had the same issue so i thought this was an Android/Samsung thing.

We both installed Junes update which made our phones lag like crazy at times. My wifes had long been set up how she wanted it but at the time i'd only been running my phone a few days so i had nothing to lose by resetting.

I did this & was back to square 1 but without the lag. Having seen how a restore went for me she went ahead and did the same.

It removed her lag, however she now has exactly what she wanted & what i'm looking for with the lock screen notifications....

AxT3crY.jpg

See how her phone lights up the moment she receives a text? I took that photo the second my text saying test came through.

Not only does it actually light up but if after that she just taps the power button or whatever she can get a preview of the text message right there. No need to open the app at all.

We're both running the same Android version however if it matters then my One UI version is 2.1 whereas hers is 2.0.

All i want to do is get it to preview the texts and have it light up the lock screen like hers does.
We've gone through the settings and ours appear the same, unless we've missed something when checking? One of her settings screens does seem a little different to mine for some reason - hers contains an entry saying "conversations" and my name is there, yet nobody elses is. On whatever settings section it is, i have no such "Conversations" entry.

Help much appreciated.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
re: How do you get notifications to light up the lock screen & preview texts/WhatsApp?

Hi welcome to AC!

You can go settings >lock screen >turn Alway on Display and tap view style to brief under notification

Screenshot_20200719-175225_Settings.jpeg

Not My Name

Jul 19, 2020
Visit site
re: How do you get notifications to light up the lock screen & preview texts/WhatsApp?

Hi. Thanks for the quick reply.

There is no setting for 'brief' however there is a setting for 'Details' under View Style.

My wife's Galaxy A71 is set up this way. Mine wasn't however when we turned it to say Details, it didn't actually make a difference for some reason.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Hi. Thanks for the quick reply.

There is no setting for 'brief' however there is a setting for 'Details' under View Style.

My wife's Galaxy A71 is set up this way. Mine wasn't however when we turned it to say Details, it didn't actually make a difference for some reason.
Hi, your welcome!
Well can turn off AOD and just get screen to light up with notifications instead of AOD being on always

Not My Name

Jul 19, 2020
Visit site

Hi, your welcome!
Well can turn off AOD and just get screen to light up with notifications instead of AOD being on always

I dont wish to come across as "but..." "but..." "but..." all the time

But...my wife also has AOD turned ON and it now finally works for her.
We do have different phones so maybe that has something to do with it although I would be surprised as its the same android version so I would expect it to be possible on my phone too.

It did take a factory reset for hers to start doing it though and while mine has not done it at all, both from the get go and after a reset, I wonder if i should try again with a reset since it worked for her.

Just can't work out why it isn't working ...yet works on hers.

Have you tested it on your own out of interest?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

We do have different phones so maybe that has something to do with it although I would be surprised as its the same android version so I would expect it to be possible on my phone too.

It did take a factory reset for hers to start doing it though and while mine has not done it at all, both from the get go and after a reset, I wonder if i should try again with a reset since it worked for her.

This is not AOD Screenshot_20200719-191445.jpeg

Not My Name

Jul 19, 2020
Visit site

Sorry guys I haven't been very clear. I also posted in a rush which didn't help as I had been meaning to ask this for over a week & keep forgetting. Let me try and clear things up...

First off, I changed "View Style" in your image mustang to Details. I was wrong when I said this did nothing as it turns out it does sort of help the situation.

NOW...If i press the power button or double tap the screen then i get a text message preview where i can read the opening of a text or WhatApp. In fact it's actually a notification preview as it works for emails and the like also.
However the phone still doesn't light up when receiving a text.

mustang7757 - in your 3rd post you said that the quoted screenshot is not AOD. I wasn't trying to say that it was. The image you quoted is actually what happens the second a text message comes through on my wifes phone. I'll try and explain it better...

When nothing is going on, my phone looks like this...
CJ6oheA.jpg

My wife's phone is basically the exact same. We just have different clock styles...
g4s7G1n.jpg

When I get a text message or a WhatsApp, i get the notification sound but my phone stays on lockscreen and an icon just appears.

This is where my wife's phone differs. When she gets a text message or a WhatsApp, her phone then looks like this...
vu38qA1.jpg

It then times out after however many seconds and goes back to AOD.

Hopefully I have explained that bit better this time?

So we went in and compared settings and our phones are pretty much the same for the most part but there are some noticeable differences...

This is what my phone looks like in this particular section:
rR6Do7g.jpg

However my wife has a 'conversations' section in her phone:
lruxyXK.jpg

The blacked out section is basically just my name. The other day i only showed there once, now i'm showing there twice on her phone for some reason.
Although it is only my name showing in this section, her phone lights up when receiving a text message/WhatsApp from absolutely anyone, not just me.
Whereas I only get an icon showing on the lockscreen and it stays black/AOD.

There's also another section that is slightly different. My phone:
Q7krGho.jpg

Whereas her phone:
5xlPSfm.jpg

As I say, we've gone through the settings and for the most part they're the exact same. It's just annoying how when she receives a text or WhatsApp, her phone actually lights up so it actually grabs her attention that she's received a text. My phone, while it plays the sound like my wifes does, only shows up an icon on the lock/AOD screen.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site

My phone did what yours did.

Quick caveat, I have an S9, and previously had an S8. My S9 is now on Android 10 One UI 2.0. Incoming notifications never turned the screen on to see the notification banner to look at. Even using the AOD, which I always use.

I use an app called "Glimpse Notifications" from the Play Store. It's free and works perfectly. When a notification comes in, the screen switches from the AOD to a fully lit Lock Screen along with notification bubble that you can interact with.

I have very few additional settings in the app. Primarily just keep the lock screen lit with a custom time (15 seconds), but most stuff is off because some settings mimic Samsung's own additional interaction settings. There is also a warning screen specific to Samsung phones that lists 4 issues that can be corrected if you have problems. I didn't have any of the problems listed, so I left those settings alone too.

werkx

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site

In addition to the suggested use of Edge Lighting, touch the 'in-app notification settings' option at the bottom of the Messages Notifications. See if the 'Preview new messages' is enabled.

Not My Name

Jul 19, 2020
Visit site
Re: How do you get notifications to light up the lock screen & preview texts/WhatsApp?

PROBLEM RESOLVED....

For the record I had Edge lighting turned on whereas my wife didn't. Turned mine off & still didn't solve the issue.

I then told her about this person who had replied online and mentioned this app but that i couldn't remember the name of it.

Oh is it glimpse she says?

Yeah that's the one.

Oh I have that.

:-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

And you didn't think to say?

Well i had it ages ago and it wasn't turned on so when we did the restore i didn't think it'd be turned on she said.

Access the app, turn it off, lo and behold her phone no longer lights up. Turn it back on and voila her phone lights up.

So the answer was Glimpse.

Sorry about that guys. At least we got there in the end.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Re: How do you get notifications to light up the lock screen & preview texts/WhatsApp?

PROBLEM RESOLVED....

For the record I had Edge lighting turned on whereas my wife didn't. Turned mine off & still didn't solve the issue.

I then told her about this person who had replied online and mentioned this app but that i couldn't remember the name of it.

Oh is it glimpse she says?

Yeah that's the one.

Oh I have that.

:-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

And you didn't think to say?

Well i had it ages ago and it wasn't turned on so when we did the restore i didn't think it'd be turned on she said.

Access the app, turn it off, lo and behold her phone no longer lights up. Turn it back on and voila her phone lights up.

So the answer was Glimpse.

Sorry about that guys. At least we got there in the end.
Thats great like you said at least we found out .

delta7

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Re: How do you get notifications to light up the lock screen & preview texts/WhatsApp?[SOLVED]

This was a huge issue for me when I had android, a big reason I got an iPhone. I really hated the display issues, lack of notifications and I didn't care about the flashing light. iPhone just made it much better showing the whole phone light up and this really should be in android stock by now.

Glad to see once again developers stepping up to make android better IMO.

werkx

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Re: How do you get notifications to light up the lock screen & preview texts/WhatsApp?[SOLVED]

Well, it works for my S10, with Edge lighting on, and text preview via stock Messages on lock screen. Not sure with WhatsApp though as I don't use it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justinedwards