• 2 Post By Unobtanium
  • 1 Post By mrsmumbles
  • 3 Post By mark5019
  • 1 Post By Eclipse2K
  • 2 Post By p08757
  • 1 Post By Google_Superuser
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Recovering addict

So I have a new phone addiction. I buy every new phone that comes out. I use it for a couple months then buy the next one. I see all these people that keep they're phones doe a year, 2 years, 4 years. How do you stick with one phone and not always have the latest and greatest?

Global Posts
    5,537 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Default Re: Recovering addict

My guess is that most of the people who do that don't have or don't want to spend all that money.
    You're not alone though, a lot of people here like to upgrade frequently to have the latest and greatest too

Posted via Android Central App
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever

I use to do that when Android and iOS were still fresh on the market and new phones always had some new feature I needed. but since the Galaxy S3, I've stuck to one phone per year just because the things work so well. And going from a Note 2 to this phone has made me want to keep this one for even longer. As long as this battery keeps going, I'm willing to stick with it as long as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyshinta View Post
    How do you stick with one phone and not always have the latest and greatest?
    You buy a phone and then don't buy another one for 2 years

Thanked by:
    phissure and perkdog65 like this.

Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Not having the money to spend on a new phone helps. Plus, once I get my phone set up the way I like it, changing is a PITA. That's one reason why I don't root. I am not "afraid" of rooting, but I don't have time to try out various ROMs, go through rebuilding and retweaking my phone, etc.

With Verizon, the new phone choice also means choosing to pay full retail to keep unlimited data, or going through a bunch of hoops to keep it.

My phone is a tool that helps me manage and simplify things in my life. Swapping phones often does not equate to "simple"

Posted from my XT1080M
    Current Personal Devices: Droid MAXX XT1080M; Sero 7 Pro
    Previous Personal Devices:
    Compaq HPC / Palm IIIc / Moto Bag Phone / Moto Flip Phone / StarTAC 7860 / StarTAC 7868 / v60s / GZ1 Type V / GZ1 Boulder / Thunderbolt
    Current Work Device: iPhone4
    Previous Work Devices:
    Moto "Lingo" L3000 iDEN / R750 / i355 / i580 + BB 8703 / BB 8830 / BB8330 / i576 + BB 9650 Storm
    Lovin' My Phone

I would like a new phone once a year but I cannot afford to buy the phones outright since I always like the most expensive phones.
    ~Janet~
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Not having the money to spend on a new phone helps. Plus, once I get my phone set up the way I like it, changing is a PITA. That's one reason why I don't root. I am not "afraid" of rooting, but I don't have time to try out various ROMs, go through rebuilding and retweaking my phone, etc.

With Verizon, the new phone choice also means choosing to pay full retail to keep unlimited data, or going through a bunch of hoops to keep it.

My phone is a tool that helps me manage and simplify things in my life. Swapping phones often does not equate to "simple"

Posted from my XT1080M
    It is definitely a PITA to set everything up every couple of months. It has not been a deterrent so far but it is definitely helping me decide to stick with the maxx. I'm not rich but I can afford to float a new phone while I wait to sell the old one. But I still take a loss of some kind and its getting old. I just love having the best that's available. Ironically I switched to the maxx with a lower specs than the G2.

I want one of everything. I'd be a total phone hoarder if I could. My problem with selling old for new is I get attached to almost everything I own. So it's fortunate that I don't have the money to buy lots of excess phones because I'd never get rid of them.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2
    petaf likes this.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

My wife and I are trying for our first kid. And she assures me I won't be able to afford a new phone for 2+ years

Global Posts
    5,537 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

My wife and I are trying for our first kid. And she assures me I won't be able to afford a new phone for 2+ years
    Best get one you like then
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

So far I'm liking the maxx

Global Posts
    143 Global Posts

try 18 yrs
    xweb10, gamefreak715 and UJ95x like this.

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    My guess is that most of the people who do that don't have or don't want to spend all that money.
    You're not alone though, a lot of people here like to upgrade frequently to have the latest and greatest too

Yet I still spend the money. I have to stop doing that. Every time I think I'm on my road to recovery I relapse.
    skatergirl likes this.
    ** Superhero **

Global Posts
    2,017 Global Posts

With the high quality of phones that have been coming out lately, I find that I can easily go about 1 year before I get the itch to upgrade. I've had my Maxx since the 1st week it came out, and I'm still happy as can be with it.
    skatergirl and JimBen73 like this.
    Lovin' My Phone

I got my Maxx a few weeks after release and I am still crazy about mine too ... and with KitKat being released today for soakers, things look even brighter!
    ~Janet~

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP/ Franco Kernal

Are you sure it's just for soakers? It didn't look like that to me from the announcement.

Staggered update. It's likely the soak testers and maybe some random VZW customers will get it first.

Posted via Android Central App and Droid Mini

For some, people either keep or replace their phones based on the features of a new phone. I think it's be particularly "difficult" this year because we have had waterproof phones (Sony), "premium build" phones (HTC), feature-packed phones (G2/S4), cheap phones (Moto G/Nexus 5), and some other phones that have a few new features but also stick to a solid, tried and true formula (Maxx and Moto X).

I've gotten a few devices this year just to test out these different features, but I think phones are built so well now that it's not unreasonable to stick with one, particularly these Motorola devices seeing as how they are being supported so well.

Probably really comes down to priorities and money though, and many don't want to dish out the money or spend the time to find a cheaper (used) device when they are content with their current one.

Quote Originally Posted by raichur0xx0rz View Post
    For some, people either keep or replace their phones based on the features of a new phone. I think it's be particularly "difficult" this year because we have had waterproof phones (Sony), "premium build" phones (HTC), feature-packed phones (G2/S4), cheap phones (Moto G/Nexus 5), and some other phones that have a few new features but also stick to a solid, tried and true formula (Maxx and Moto X).

I've gotten a few devices this year just to test out these different features, but I think phones are built so well now that it's not unreasonable to stick with one, particularly these Motorola devices seeing as how they are being supported so well.

Probably really comes down to priorities and money though, and many don't want to dish out the money or spend the time to find a cheaper (used) device when they are content with their current one.
    With taxes my Nexus 5 was over $400. I wouldn't call that cheap because I'm not rich. It's less than $700 but it's not $200 (Moto G) either.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I just love having the best that's available. Ironically I switched to the maxx with a lower specs than the G2.
    "Newest specs/highest specs" don't always mean "best." My job supplies iPhones for corporate mobile use, which fits their usage and security needs, but that doesn't mean the iPhone (even the 5) is "best" for me. I chose the Maxx for a combination of things - battery life, on-board memory, screen size, and "near stock" Android experience. I looked hard at the S4 and the LTE Commando. After about 3 days with the Maxx, I never had any second thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmumbles View Post
    With taxes my Nexus 5 was over $400. I wouldn't call that cheap because I'm not rich. It's less than $700 but it's not $200 (Moto G) either.

Yes, that's true, but when thinking about why someone buys the Nexus 5, one of the first things you think of is "it doesn't cost that much".

It's usually like that until taxes+shipping hit, then it isn't as cheap as it appeared. Whether or not it is actually cheap, especially considering prices overseas, well, whatever, but people will say to get it because it's cheap =\

Quote Originally Posted by raichur0xx0rz View Post
    Yes, that's true, but when thinking about why someone buys the Nexus 5, one of the first things you think of is "it doesn't cost that much".

It's usually like that until taxes+shipping hit, then it isn't as cheap as it appeared. Whether or not it is actually cheap, especially considering prices overseas, well, whatever, but people will say to get it because it's cheap =\
    That's not the only reason I bought it though. I wanted the phone. The fact it was under $500 made it possible but it wasn't the reason.

I want to try every device and gadget that comes out just to try it but thankfully I am logical enough to contain myself due to finances. If I was extremely rich though I'd just get every device that came out post reviews, use it and then flip it for as close to the original price as possible.
    mrsmumbles likes this.