Best phone ever, now with the best launcher

idiotekniques

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
The eight pro is easily the best phone I've used. I've had an Android phone since the Nexus one. Mostly Google but some HTC, a Samsung and an LG in the mix there.

After using Nova for years and years I want to try something new. I went through the usual launchers but finally for some reason decided to try Niagara.

Amazing. This one home screen now does what I used to do with five home screens and good widgets. A couple things might take an additional swipe or tap, and other things are faster. Either way it's completely one handed and super sleek and streamlined.

My new home screen1000006428.png

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
The eight pro is easily the best phone I've used. I've had an Android phone since the Nexus one. Mostly Google but some HTC, a Samsung and an LG in the mix there.

After using Nova for years and years I want to try something new. I went through the usual launchers but finally for some reason decided to try Niagara.

Amazing. This one home screen now does what I used to do with five home screens and good widgets. A couple things might take an additional swipe or tap, and other things are faster. Either way it's completely one handed and super sleek and streamlined.

My new home screenView attachment 358649
So glad you're enjoying your 8 Pro. I used to tinker quite a bit with launchers prior to using Pixels, but I've pretty much stuck with the Pixel Launcher since I first got the 3a XL.

Mr. Lucky

Jul 25, 2023
Visit site
I'm also a convert to Niagara (previously a long-time Nova user, including the v8 beta). I found an undocumented use for the alphabetic app list: since many of my apps have non-obvious names, I group them together by prefixing their name with a category name. For example, "appName" becomes "TOOLS -appName". This way all tool/utility apps appear in 'T' without need to remember some arcane name. This makes it behave like a folder, but saves tapping to open a folder and then hunting for the app.
1704659035494.png

idiotekniques

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I've used Nova since the Pixel 4a was released (as I could not stand the stock launcher). Also checked out Niagara long ago and may take a look at it again.
Nova is great but this Niagara one really changes the game. It's Just a totally unique interface.

It does change a lot of your muscle memory so you need to use it for 5 to 7 days to really start to get it to become instinctual.

idiotekniques

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm also a convert to Niagara (previously a long-time Nova user, including the v8 beta). I found an undocumented use for the alphabetic app list: since many of my apps have non-obvious names, I group them together by prefixing their name with a category name. For example, "appName" becomes "TOOLS -appName". This way all tool/utility apps appear in 'T' without need to remember some arcane name. This makes it behave like a folder, but saves tapping to open a folder and then hunting for the app.
View attachment 358667
Nice setup.

Your weather widget on the right does not look like the one Niagara comes with. You're able to put your own widget there or is this something else?

Reactions: BEaRebel

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Ok I'll cave and try it again. I do own the pro version but haven't used it in quite awhile. I missed the features of Nova the last time I used it.

Reactions: J Dubbs

Mr. Lucky

Jul 25, 2023
Visit site
Your weather widget on the right does not look like the one Niagara comes with. You're able to put your own widget there or is this something else?
That's the Digital Clock & Weather widget. It's the top widget in a stack of three; swiping once brings up the 5-day forecast, swiping again brings up Poweamp (music player).

Last edited:

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
Yeah, AIO comes highly recommended. I tried to like it but couldn't get into it. Smart Launcher 6 (below) is interesting, though I still prefer Niagara.
View attachment 358668
I have AIO tweaked perfectly though currently running Nova on both Pixels..it really has some awesome customization once you get the hang of it... I have used Smart Launcher 6 and bought the pro version a long time ago but it's been a minute since I've rolled with it ...

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
View attachment 358667
I've always been fascinated with the way Niagara looks and works.. I've never even considered anything but the stock launcher until I watched a video of Niagara in action.

It was more about the cool factor than any actual need I have for a new launcher lol.

Your whole setup looks very cool, and I'm sure it's even better looking in action. Nice 👍

Last edited:

edubfromktown

Sep 18, 2020
Visit site
I have AIO tweaked perfectly though currently running Nova on both Pixels..it really has some awesome customization once you get the hang of it... I have used Smart Launcher 6 and bought the pro version a long time ago but it's been a minute since I've rolled with it ...
I've tried different ones over the years and keep gravitating back to Nova hehe

Once I got past navigating the complex settings in the UI, its sort of been 2nd nature.

Mr. Lucky

Jul 25, 2023
Visit site
You're whole setup looks very cool, and I'm sure it's even better looking in action. Nice 👍
Thanks. The thing I really like about Niagara is that there is a lot of capability there, despite the simplistic 1-page look. For example, right-swiping on any of the homescreen favorites (left column) reveals shortcuts that are either built-in or that you have added. Tapping on my Phone app takes you directly there, but swiping 'Phone' reveals direct shortcuts to Google Meet and Google Voice. Likewise, the Niagara button (unlabeled button below and to the left of the alphabetic list) has separate user-definable actions for tapping and swiping. In my setup, tapping takes you to the Sesame search window, while swiping up goes to my news feed (Microsoft 'Start'). There's also stackable widgets, pop-up folders that can contain widgets, ability to show notifications in abbreviated form within the Favorites list, ability to sort apps by usage, and much more.

Sorry to sound like a commercial lol!

idiotekniques

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. The thing I really like about Niagara is that there is a lot of capability there, despite the simplistic 1-page look. For example, right-swiping on any of the homescreen favorites (left column) reveals shortcuts that are either built-in or that you have added. Tapping on my Phone app takes you directly there, but swiping 'Phone' reveals direct shortcuts to Google Meet and Google Voice. Likewise, the Niagara button (unlabeled button below and to the left of the alphabetic list) has separate user-definable actions for tapping and swiping. In my setup, tapping takes you to the Sesame search window, while swiping up goes to my news feed (Microsoft 'Start'). There's also stackable widgets, pop-up folders that can contain widgets, ability to show notifications in abbreviated form within the Favorites list, ability to sort apps by usage, and much more.

Sorry to sound like a commercial lol!

If it wasn't for those things, I would have not given Niagara a chance. These are the features that need to be utilized to make it compete with a multiple homescreen setup with good widgets.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
🤗 I've never tried a custom app launcher.
Is the above ↑ referenced Niagara app– the one called 'Niagara Laughter • Home Screen' by Peter Hubur, in the Play Store?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali