Google Calendar reminder bug

schwars1

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Forgive me if this has been discussed elsewhere, and I'm not sure if this is a Droid MAXX bug or a Google Calendar bug, but whenever I create a new event via my phone I get a default 10min reminder, even when I go into the settings and turn the default reminder off.

Anyone else experience this? Thoughts on how to make the "never" setting stick?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
On my Nexus 5 with the stock Google Calendar, I open Calendar, tap Menu>Settings>General Settings, then scroll down to "Default reminder time" under Notifications & Reminders. You can select "None" there. Do you see that? I just tested it out, and it works for me.

schwars1

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Yes. I've done that countless times. It sticks until I close the app. Next time I created an event the 10 min reminder comes back. So annoying.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That is strange. I tested it out after closing the Calendar (swiping it away in Recent Apps), and it still worked for me.

Are you using the actual Google Calendar, or does Motorola have its own version of the stock Calendar? Go to Google Play and search for Google Calendar--does it give you an option to install or update? If so, you should consider installing that one and disabling the stock Calendar.

schwars1

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm using the stock app, so that's unfortunately not it either. Maybe I'll try clearing data or reinstalling. Can't hurt.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When you say the stock app, do you mean the one that came with the phone? What I was saying is that Motorola's stock Calendar might not be exactly the same as the Google Calendar app you can install from Google Play. I was testing it out with the Google Calendar app, so if your Motorola Calendar app is not exactly the same, it's worth trying the official Google Calendar app.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Go into Google Calendar on a web browser (on a PC). Click the gear icon on the right, then settings. Click the "calendars" link under "Calendar Settings", then "reminders and notifications" for the calendar, then make sure that the default is no reminders. I have a feeling when you enter no reminder in the Android app that the default kicks in from the web site.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's a good idea!

Posted via Android Central App--please excuse the brevity and any typos!

schwars1

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Go into Google Calendar on a web browser (on a PC). Click the gear icon on the right, then settings. Click the "calendars" link under "Calendar Settings", then "reminders and notifications" for the calendar, then make sure that the default is no reminders. I have a feeling when you enter no reminder in the Android app that the default kicks in from the web site.

No dice. Calendar the web says "no reminders set". Such a perplexing issue.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When you enter an event, does it default to entering it into one of the Google account calendars, or does the Maxx also give you an option to enter an event into the Phone Account calendar? If so, does it default to Phone Account? If so, maybe it isn't paying attention to your Google account default setting.

schwars1

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Phone calendar is an option, but it happens on both my calendar and a shared calendar. That's what makes me think it's a device issue and not something on the server side.

PJLips

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I've had the exact same problem with my Nexus 5. What happens is, the calendar in question is setup to have a default reminder of 10 minutes ON THE WEBSITE.

Here's how I fixed it:
- Use IE/Firefox/Chrome to go to your calendar on the web (https://www.google.com/calendar/render)
- On the left hand side, hover your mouse cursor over the calendar in question, you will see a little drop-down arrow appear next to it
- Click that little drop-down arrow, and then click on 'Calendar Settings'
- At the top, below the Calendar name, navigate to the tab called 'Reminders and notifications'
- If yours is the same problem I had, you will see a reminder for 10 minutes next to 'Event reminders'
- Remove this reminder
- Remember to save!

Hope this helps! I have been VERY frustrated by this bug.

Let me know if it worked!

Cheers

Forgive me if this has been discussed elsewhere, and I'm not sure if this is a Droid MAXX bug or a Google Calendar bug, but whenever I create a new event via my phone I get a default 10min reminder, even when I go into the settings and turn the default reminder off.

Anyone else experience this? Thoughts on how to make the "never" setting stick?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for that, but unfortunately, in post #10, the OP mentioned that this didn't work for him.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Just two more questions - is this the Google Calendar app from the Play Store or the stock Calendar app that comes with the phone? (They're slightly different.) Also, do you sync your Google calendar with any other devices - another tablet, another phone, or another computer that syncs with Google Calendar?

It could be the Google App is messed up. If so, the stock calendar app that comes with the phone may fix it. (If it's the stock calendar app that comes with the phone, vice versa - maybe using the Google Calendar app from the Play Store will fix it.) Or, it could be a sync issue. You set an even with no reminder. It syncs to Google Calendar. The Google Calendar is set to sync with another device (I do this with my Mac, for example), and that device sees an event with no reminder and sticks its default 10 minute reminder on.

Just trying to think outside the box a little...

schwars1

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
To reiterate, the Google Calendar app is set to no reminders on both my Droid MAXX and Nexus 7 and the desktop version of the calendar also has no reminders.

I only run into this issue on my phone, so I really think it's device specific.

Could another app that accesses the calendar be messing it up? Maybe the widget?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Could another app that accesses the calendar be messing it up? Maybe the widget?

The widget is part of the app, so I can't imagine the widget would interfere. But you bring up an interesting idea--do you in fact have any other calendar apps installed?

schwars1

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
The widget is part of the app, so I can't imagine the widget would interfere. But you bring up an interesting idea--do you in fact have any other calendar apps installed?

Nope :-/

I think it mostly reverts to a reminder when I reboot the phone. Any ideas along that route?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't revert on my Nexus 5 with reboots. You're probably right, it must be a device issue. Have you talked to anyone else with a Maxx about this? Or maybe go to your local Verizon store and play around with one of the display Maxx's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty