Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By doogald
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google Calendar reminder bug

Forgive me if this has been discussed elsewhere, and I'm not sure if this is a Droid MAXX bug or a Google Calendar bug, but whenever I create a new event via my phone I get a default 10min reminder, even when I go into the settings and turn the default reminder off.

Anyone else experience this? Thoughts on how to make the "never" setting stick?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Default Re: Google Calendar reminder bug

On my Nexus 5 with the stock Google Calendar, I open Calendar, tap Menu>Settings>General Settings, then scroll down to "Default reminder time" under Notifications & Reminders. You can select "None" there. Do you see that? I just tested it out, and it works for me.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Yes. I've done that countless times. It sticks until I close the app. Next time I created an event the 10 min reminder comes back. So annoying.

That is strange. I tested it out after closing the Calendar (swiping it away in Recent Apps), and it still worked for me.

Are you using the actual Google Calendar, or does Motorola have its own version of the stock Calendar? Go to Google Play and search for Google Calendar--does it give you an option to install or update? If so, you should consider installing that one and disabling the stock Calendar.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I'm using the stock app, so that's unfortunately not it either. Maybe I'll try clearing data or reinstalling. Can't hurt.

When you say the stock app, do you mean the one that came with the phone? What I was saying is that Motorola's stock Calendar might not be exactly the same as the Google Calendar app you can install from Google Play. I was testing it out with the Google Calendar app, so if your Motorola Calendar app is not exactly the same, it's worth trying the official Google Calendar app.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

They are the same. I'm using the Google Calendar app.

Go into Google Calendar on a web browser (on a PC). Click the gear icon on the right, then settings. Click the "calendars" link under "Calendar Settings", then "reminders and notifications" for the calendar, then make sure that the default is no reminders. I have a feeling when you enter no reminder in the Android app that the default kicks in from the web site.
    B. Diddy and Masheen like this.

That's a good idea!

Posted via Android Central App--please excuse the brevity and any typos!
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by doogald View Post
    Go into Google Calendar on a web browser (on a PC). Click the gear icon on the right, then settings. Click the "calendars" link under "Calendar Settings", then "reminders and notifications" for the calendar, then make sure that the default is no reminders. I have a feeling when you enter no reminder in the Android app that the default kicks in from the web site.
    No dice. Calendar the web says "no reminders set". Such a perplexing issue.

When you enter an event, does it default to entering it into one of the Google account calendars, or does the Maxx also give you an option to enter an event into the Phone Account calendar? If so, does it default to Phone Account? If so, maybe it isn't paying attention to your Google account default setting.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Phone calendar is an option, but it happens on both my calendar and a shared calendar. That's what makes me think it's a device issue and not something on the server side.

I have the same problem. Very frustrating too!

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

I've had the exact same problem with my Nexus 5. What happens is, the calendar in question is setup to have a default reminder of 10 minutes ON THE WEBSITE.

Here's how I fixed it:
    - Use IE/Firefox/Chrome to go to your calendar on the web (https://www.google.com/calendar/render)
    - On the left hand side, hover your mouse cursor over the calendar in question, you will see a little drop-down arrow appear next to it
    - Click that little drop-down arrow, and then click on 'Calendar Settings'
    - At the top, below the Calendar name, navigate to the tab called 'Reminders and notifications'
    - If yours is the same problem I had, you will see a reminder for 10 minutes next to 'Event reminders'
    - Remove this reminder
    - Remember to save!

Hope this helps! I have been VERY frustrated by this bug.

Let me know if it worked!

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by schwars1 View Post
    Forgive me if this has been discussed elsewhere, and I'm not sure if this is a Droid MAXX bug or a Google Calendar bug, but whenever I create a new event via my phone I get a default 10min reminder, even when I go into the settings and turn the default reminder off.

Anyone else experience this? Thoughts on how to make the "never" setting stick?

Thanks for that, but unfortunately, in post #10, the OP mentioned that this didn't work for him.

Just two more questions - is this the Google Calendar app from the Play Store or the stock Calendar app that comes with the phone? (They're slightly different.) Also, do you sync your Google calendar with any other devices - another tablet, another phone, or another computer that syncs with Google Calendar?

It could be the Google App is messed up. If so, the stock calendar app that comes with the phone may fix it. (If it's the stock calendar app that comes with the phone, vice versa - maybe using the Google Calendar app from the Play Store will fix it.) Or, it could be a sync issue. You set an even with no reminder. It syncs to Google Calendar. The Google Calendar is set to sync with another device (I do this with my Mac, for example), and that device sees an event with no reminder and sticks its default 10 minute reminder on.

Just trying to think outside the box a little...
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

To reiterate, the Google Calendar app is set to no reminders on both my Droid MAXX and Nexus 7 and the desktop version of the calendar also has no reminders.

I only run into this issue on my phone, so I really think it's device specific.

Could another app that accesses the calendar be messing it up? Maybe the widget?

Could another app that accesses the calendar be messing it up? Maybe the widget?
    The widget is part of the app, so I can't imagine the widget would interfere. But you bring up an interesting idea--do you in fact have any other calendar apps installed?
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    The widget is part of the app, so I can't imagine the widget would interfere. But you bring up an interesting idea--do you in fact have any other calendar apps installed?
    Nope :-/

I think it mostly reverts to a reminder when I reboot the phone. Any ideas along that route?

It doesn't revert on my Nexus 5 with reboots. You're probably right, it must be a device issue. Have you talked to anyone else with a Maxx about this? Or maybe go to your local Verizon store and play around with one of the display Maxx's.

Again - I hate to ask the same question three times, but is it the Google Calendar app from the Play Store, or is it the calendar app that ships with the phone? As close as they look, they *are* different. The one that ships with the phone is not the Google Calendar app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...droid.calendar

So, if it's not the stock app, try installing the calendar app from the play store and see if that does the same thing.

It probably will, but worth a try. It could be a sync bug with the Maxx, though.

Fwiw, this hasn't happened on my phone. Whenever I delete a reminder, it doesn't come back that I recall.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Quote Originally Posted by doogald View Post
    Again - I hate to ask the same question three times, but is it the Google Calendar app from the Play Store, or is it the calendar app that ships with the phone? As close as they look, they *are* different. The one that ships with the phone is not the Google Calendar app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...droid.calendar
    When I click your link it opens the Play store and asks if I'd like to open or uninstall.

In running the default regular Google calendar app. I have no other calendar apps installed, Motorola or otherwise.

When I click your link it opens the Play store and asks if I'd like to open or uninstall.

In running the default regular Google calendar app. I have no other calendar apps installed, Motorola or otherwise.
    Uninstall it to see if it's causing the problem.

You do have the separate Google Calendar app installed. Unless you disabled the stock calendar app, you should have two calendar apps in the app drawer. Uninstall the Google Calendar app from the Play Store and use the calendar app that comes with the phone. (If you don't see it after uninstalling the calendar app, then, from home, settings / apps, slide to "Disabled" if you have it, and see if it is there.)

In the stock launcher, the Google Calendar app from the Play Store looks like a page of a calendar with the bottom right corner lifted, with a "31" on the page. In the stock launcher, the stock calendar app that comes with the phone also looks like a calendar page, but no scroll and it has today's date. If you have a third party launcher, the stock calendar app has a green top with a bunch of rectangles that look like they are lifted from the page.

I've attached screen shots of my add drawer showing the two calendar apps, one from the stock launcher, one from Nova launcher...

Google Calendar reminder bug-2014-04-05-16.05.49.png
    Google Calendar reminder bug-2014-04-05-16.06.12.jpg
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

I understand what you're saying, but I've only ever had one calendar app, the Google Calendar app with the 31 on it. That's what I've always been using. See my app drawer:

Ok, so, did you go into settings / apps. Slide to "Disabled". See if there is a "Calendar" there (with that greenish icon from my photo above.) The version number of the stock calendar app is 4.4-15. The Google Calendar app (also called "Calendar" in settings / apps, but with the "31" icon) is version 201308023. If the stock calendar app is there, tap it and uncheck "disabled" at the top.

That calendar app comes with the phone. You don't install it from the Play Store. As you can see on my add drawer, if you do install the Google Calendar app, it has two calendar apps on the phone if you have a Droid Maxx with no disabled apps.

It may not change anything, but there's a possibility that there is a bug with the Google Calendar app that doesn't happen with the stock app.