Google Play Services crashing constantly

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
This might sound strange, but you can try resetting app preferences in Settings>apps>menu>reset app preferences. Sometimes this helps Google Play issues.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I know that an update to the Play Store to version 5.0 has been coming out since Google IO (I don't have it yet) and I assume that Play Services was updated as well. Is your Play Store running that update yet?

Also, are you running Dalvik or did you switch to ART? If you switched to ART, does switching back to Dalvik help? (If you don't know that means, then don't worry; it's not that then.)

damnyankees

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I know that an update to the Play Store to version 5.0 has been coming out since Google IO (I don't have it yet) and I assume that Play Services was updated as well. Is your Play Store running that update yet?

Also, are you running Dalvik or did you switch to ART? If you switched to ART, does switching back to Dalvik help? (If you don't know that means, then don't worry; it's not that then.)

I'm running Play Store 4.8.20, and it says it's up to date. I'm running ART, but I have been all along. The crashing issue just appeared "spontaneously" roughly a week ago. lol, it just happened as I was typing this.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
My version of Play Services is 5.0.84, and I had some general odd things happening. I have no idea when I got the newer version of Play Services though.

drvier8

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It started crashing for me on ART about the same time frame as you. I switched back to Dalvik 4 days ago and have had zero crashes since then.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
ART changed a lot between Android 4.4 and 4.4.2, so it's possible that the Play Services update is not playing nicely with ART on 4.4 on the Maxx. If clearing app preferences doesn't help, I'd definitely suggest switching back to Dalvik. ART is beta and meant for developers to test their apps anyway and was never intended for users to install to replace Dalvik on KitKat anyway.

sashaglo

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem when I switched to ART (which has significantly improved my battery drain). Clearing the cache partition seems to have eliminated the crashing problem (no crashes in the past 24 hrs).

Distorted Loop

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Same situation here as you... play services crashing frequently about the last two weeks. It always crashes when updating apps, and maybe sometime randomly.

ART here. Have tried all the usual fixes except factory reset and going back to dalvik.

My battery life has degraded significantly since the update too.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Go back to Dalvik. ART was updated quite a bit in 4.4.2 and later and it's likely that ART on 4.4 (I believe that these Droids are the only phones that had 4.4 and haven't been updated) is creating errors. ART was meant for developers to test on KitKat, and not really meant for non-developers to run on personal phones. If switching to Dalvik fixes it, that's probably the best solution, at least until the next OTA.

Umass021

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
If anyone gets 4.4.4 and trys art I would like to know if it still does it.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using AC Forums mobile app

damnyankees

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
If anyone gets 4.4.4 and trys art I would like to know if it still does it.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using AC Forums mobile app

I got 4.4.4 last night, immediately went back to ART, and I haven't had a problem yet. We'll see.

Maybe it's the placebo effect, maybe not, but 4.4.4 feels SNAPPY. Only issue I've seen so far is that "enhanced visual voicemail" doesn't work. I've never used it before, but figured I'd check it out to see what it is. Can't open it.