Good bye Maxx!

Distorted Loop

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
You served me well as my primary phone for over a year. By far the longest of any flagship device I've every owned.

You didn't need root.
You didn't need spare batteries.
You didn't need a case.

Arguably one of the best phones ever released.

I'll miss you, but this new Moto X takes your heritage and improves on it.

Farewell old friend.

Sent from my XT1095

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Aren't you afraid with the Moto X you will miss the battery life? Why not Droid Turbo?

Posted via Android Central App

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site
I hope you enjoy your new Moto X.

I was at a Verizon store the other day and really liked the new Moto X - the size, feel and weight were just about perfect.

For me the deal breaker was the small battery and no wireless charging.

At this point I think I'll keep my Droid Maxx for awhile - especially since Verizon's Advanced Calling doesn't appear to be ready for prime time and I want to retain the ability to use voice and data at the same time.

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I'm thinking Distorted Loop is...well...a bit distorted. He's trading in arguably the very best phone ever made, for a phone with a smaller battery and no wireless charging? Right. Unless he's on the wrong forum and is talking about the old Razr Maxx....

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking Distorted Loop is...well...a bit distorted. He's trading in arguably the very best phone ever made, for a phone with a smaller battery and no wireless charging? Right. Unless he's on the wrong forum and is talking about the old Razr Maxx....

As for me, I will never question why somebody chooses a particular phone. We are all different, and what may be important to you may not be all that important to somebody else.

I can think of a great reason to get a 2014 Moto X - if history repeats itself, it will be the fastest non-Nexus device to receive Android updates. If you don't need great battery life (and, let's face it - most of us are in situations where we can plug in whenever we want - while commuting to and from work in the car, while sitting at a desk in the office, while cooking and eating dinner at home, etc.), if you don't need wireless charging (that's a pretty esoteric need - I have a Qi charger, but I can certainly get by without it), if you don't want a huge 6" Nexus 6, the 2014 Moto X is a pretty damned good phone to choose.

Not to speak for Distorted Loop, but I know I spent the first half of this year occasionally fuming over the stupid bugs on the 4.4 build on the Maxx that weren't fixed until July. That just didn't happen to the Moto X.

dea0002

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
You served me well as my primary phone for over a year. By far the longest of any flagship device I've every owned.

You didn't need root.
You didn't need spare batteries.
You didn't need a case.

Arguably one of the best phones ever released.

I'll miss you, but this new Moto X takes your heritage and improves on it.

Farewell old friend.

Sent from my XT1095

I agree wholeheartedly - this has been my best phone by a huge margin, and the Turbo needs to be incredibly awesome to be a truly worthy successor. I'm hopeful and excited it will be up to the challenge...

Distorted Loop

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
This was an ode to a great phone that no longer best fits my needs. No need to get defensive, or worse, insult me, because it still fits yours.

No, I wasn't talking about the old RAZR, and I am in the right forum.

I like Qi charging, but it's hardly a deal breaker for me. It's no hassle to plug in to the ever present power cord at my desk or by my bed.

Smaller battery hasn't been an issue yet.

The new X has a display that blows away the Droid Ultra/Maxx display. It's larger, brighter, much sharper.

The new X is faster, snappier, more fluid than the Maxx. It also supports all the new features in Moto world that might not come to the Ultra/Maxx ever. It also supports the new peripherals fully, which the Maxx doesn't.

The Turbo looks interesting,.maybe I'll check it out and grab one.

At any rate, I won't judge those of you who stick with a venerable older device if you won't judge me for moving on while still maintaining pleasant memories of what I'll rephrase as arguably the best phone available in 2013 and the first half of 2014.

Cheers.

Sent from my XT1095

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Sorry for the insult DL! You're right, everyone's different...and while I cannot imagine leaving the Maxx for anything else at this point...it's your phone, not mine! lol
Call me Distorted 2.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Can't we use those with the MAXX, too? Or is the X mandatory?

They can be used with any Android phone, but there are a few features that currently only work with the Moto X 2014. It sounds like some or all of those features may eventually be on the full 2013/2014 Moto lineup, but that isn't quite clear yet that I've heard.

Distorted Loop

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Yes, the Hint does not have full function with the Maxx. There is no guaranty it ever will.

Another reason, that trumps all other reasons at this time, for not going with the Droid Turbo is the inability to do simultaneous voice and data. WTH were they thinking? Is this 2007?

Granted, at some point they'll give VOLTE update, but until then that is an actual deal breaker for me.

:-(

Sent from my XT1095

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Just asking, where did you hear that the Turbo wont? I thought any phone with a sim card would do voice and data at the same time.

JMHO

There are stories about this around the web today. It's like the 2014 Moto X or any of the iPhones since the 5. The phone has a single cellular antenna so can't do simultaneous cdma calling and lte data; you can only do simultaneous data when it gets an upgrade to VoLTE and, of course, only when you're doing VoLTE calls. (Of course you can do simultaneous voice and data when you're connected to WiFi without an update to VoLTE.)

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/10/30/fyi-droid-turbo-cant-currently-do-simultaneous-voice-and-data/

perkdog65

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
It did of you're in a 4G or WiFi area. The Turbo won't unless you're in WiFi.

Sent from my XT1095

Correct me if I am wrong but the new MotoX has the same issue that you are describing for the Turbo. It's due to Motorola not designing the phones with two antennas this go around.

Distorted Loop

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Correct me if I am wrong but the new MotoX has the same issue that you are describing for the Turbo. It's due to Motorola not designing the phones with two antennas this go around.
Yes, I believe that's true for the Verizon version.

The X I picked up is T-Mobile Pure Edition. No problems doing both on it simultaneously.

I may eat my words and but a Turbo for a test drive after all, the specs are so tempting. I still can't fathom why they'd cripple phones like this.

Sent from my XT1095