Questions re the Maxx

dustrho

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Thinking about ditching my iPhone 5s to come back to the Android holy land (where I ventured for several years), and the Droid Maxx is looking the most promising to me. I have a few questions to ask though.

1) How good/bad really is the camera? Just way too many mixed reviews about it.

2) How does audio sound when playing through connected headphones? Good sound and loud volume? This could be a deal breaker for me because I listen to Spotify all the time on my phones.

3) Droid Maxx > Droid Turbo ??? [in terms of user experience, NOT specs]

Thanks everyone. Looking forward to hearing some feedback.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Last edited:

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

It's mediocre. It can take great photos, particularly in good light, but is usually quite poor in low light. It's definitely not iPhone quality, but few phones are. So, it depends on what you're expecting from a camera. Take a quick photo of the car and license plate of the car that just hit you? Photos to share on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.? This is a fine phone for that almost every time. A replacement for a "real" camera? Not this phone. A camera that always snaps a photo without lag? This phone is pretty good for that, burst photos are good. And a phone that captures a quick photo spontaneously, when your family and friends are doing something fun and you have no other camera? This is as good as an iPhone for that.

2) How does audio sound when playing through connected headphones? Good sound and loud volume? This could be a deal breaker for me because I listen to Spotify all the time on my phones.

Yep, it's fine. I always used an iPod Touch for audio and never used my phone until I bought the Maxx, in order to save battery on the phone. I gave up the iPod last year right after I bought the Maxx. Those inline button headphones also kind of work - the play pause works, the volume buttons do not, but the phone has volume button on it that are easy to find.

3) Droid Maxx > Droid Turbo ???

Nope, other way around. The specs of the Turbo are all better than the Maxx, though the camera is laggier (21 MP vs. 10 MP on the Maxx is probably why), the battery is bigger but has the same battery life, because the screen has four times more pixels to drive. But the Turbo is probably more future-friendly. I'll put it this way - the Turbo was released with state-of-the-art Android phone specs - no phone has better specs in any area. The Maxx was using chips that phones about 6 months older were using when it was released. Still, the Maxx will be good for quite a while still.

I'll put it this way - I have a Maxx and am in the middle of a two year subsidy, and the Turbo is not worth spending $600 on for me when the Maxx is still plenty good enough.

Hope that helps...

BlueLions81

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Thinking about ditching my iPhone 5s to come back to the Android holy land (where I ventured for several years), and the Droid Maxx is looking the most promising to me. I have a few questions to ask though.

3) Droid Maxx > Droid Turbo ???

Thanks everyone. Looking forward to hearing some feedback.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

1) Everyone says the camera isn't the greatest, but I haven't noticed. I don't have a problem with the way the pictures turn out.

2) The audio seems to work just fine for me. I don't use headphones too often, but I've had no problem with it when I did. I heard there was a volume issue with the Turbo. They said the volume is too low.

The Turbo is newer so it is probably better than Maxx, just not sure that it's enough of a difference for me to upgrade. I really like my Maxx alot.

The Turbo does have a much nicer display, but I would check carefully about the volume issue on the Turbo. I'm not sure if it's just for calls or if it's a problem for everything.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I bought my mom a $100 point and shoot camera last Christmas. My MAXX takes better pictures than it. My Nikon D3200 of course takes much better pictures than my MAXX. It's all relative. I'm happy with my MAXX for anything I'd normally use a regular point-and-shoot for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa