Coping with losing the headphone jack

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
I see for the most part, the headphone jack days in phones seems to be over. I generally listen to music every day via my headphone jack in my car on my commute. This is such a downer.

What is the best way to rectify this problem? I have found that also being able to use a 3.5 mm jack is the best quality sound as well. Other people always mention blue-tooth, but I find it hard to believe that BT would be able to compete with a headphone jack in terms of audio quality. I have also tried the usb type c adapters and they always fail or short out and never sound as good or as loud.

Any suggestions? Because for the most part, this means if you want a headphone jack, at least with most big name companies, you have to have an older device. Namely Samsung.

Reactions: Wilker 74

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The Pixel "a" line also still has the jack, and even though it's supposed to be the "lite" version of the Pixel, there really aren't many tradeoffs between the 4a 5G and the 5.

This article might help (although it's also trying to sell its own adapter): https://www.cablematters.com/blog/USB-C/usb-c-audio. But you might already know this, since it sounds like you're a bit of an audiophile.:)

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
LG seems firmly pro-headphone jack with their V-series line. They hype the quality of their quad-dac as one of the center points of the phones "aimed at content creators." It can even drive high impedance headphones, and audiophiles have been pleased with the sound quality over the years. The V60 is the most current, being released a year ago. It seems like a V70 release is questionable, though.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
One of many reasons I went with LG (V60 and also V40 and V20) was the headphone jack and the Quad Dac is just crazy good with headphones.

Sadly, as Mooncatt has already stated LG is at a crossroads and their mobile division may not continue.

BT does not compare at all. Samsung Note 9 was the last Note w/a headphone jack and I didn't really want to give mine up but the trade in value was more than twice what I paid for it.

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
One of the main reasons why I'm still running the Note 9 is the 3.5mm Jack, plus no major camera bump, no loss of SD Card, a display that's crystal clear, speed that's a nano second slower than the newer phones, reception that's like I'm in the next room. I've looked at the newer Sammy's but I've got another year's full of security updates remaining and if necessary, will visit ubreakitifixit for another Sammy factory battery. Gotta say, I love this phone! The Note 9 does everything I ask or want it to do. Rock on Note 9... Sammy hit a grand slam with this one.

Reactions: Wilker 74

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I agree with LG keeping up with the headphone jack. My husband's LG Velvet has it.

Personally, I've *always* loved having headphone jacks on my phone, but I recently gone wireless/Bluetooth with my S10 (even if it does have a headphone jack). I'm no audiophile, but I personally don't feel like I'm missing much with my earbuds. Jabra Bluetooth earbuds are really awesome if you want to give those a try. I bought a pair for my husband and he really enjoys the audio.

Donglelife872

Mar 3, 2021
Visit site
I'm bummed about the lack of headphone jacks, being semi-resigned to the dongle life.

However, the Note 20 Ultra's uselessness as an mp3 player (so far) has brought me back to the S5.

I saw the V60 in a youtube review video of why LG was failing (although he liked the V60 okay). I've never used a non-Samsung android phone. I'm wondering if the V60 would probably have the exact same pc-to-playlist woes? One's tempted to buy the V60, but I'd be still be faced with the problem of lugging around 2 phones.

The sound on the Note 20 Ultra isn't too bad if one lucks into a decent dongle.

The V60 sounds perfect for one who listens to a lot of audio files.

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
My newest issue is having a device that you can also have a decent case with. I mean from major companies like Spigen, Poetic, Supcase, etc, AND being able to have a built in screen protector if you wish. Seldom have I noticed companies doing this now, namely due to most companies like Samsung using in screen finger print scanners. And yet, there are companies out there like LG and Oneplus who don't seem to have this issue.

I still wish I could find a device that has everything with no compromises AND be also be able to get a good case like mentioned above. The V60 does sound like a bit of a good fit, I just wish I could get it directly from LG financed rather than my carrier.

A flat screened device with a huge battery, headphone jack, micro sd card slot, faster charging like 25 watt minimum, IP68, great camera. I am still on the look for this. I guess I am asking for too much lol

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
A flat screened device with a huge battery, headphone jack, micro sd card slot, faster charging like 25 watt minimum, IP68, great camera. I am still on the look for this. I guess I am asking for too much lol

Nah, asking too much would include a removable battery and non-glass body. In which case you'd have to go all the way to the LG V20 from 2016, or perhaps check out mid-tier devices. I would consider some concessions, though. The V60 is capable of 25 watt charging, but I've been 15 watt charging almost exclusively. It puts less stress on the battery, and is still plenty quick. In many cases, the 25 watt charger won't shorten charge times enough to bother worth, due to the nature of Li-ion charging requirements. I would also reconsider IP rating. Manufacturers don't warranty water damage at all, even on phones that are IP rated. I suggest people treat their phones as if they are not rated for this reason. I consider that rating to be little more than a gimmick, but it is pretty commonplace now anyway.

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
Usually 15 watt charging is ridiculously slow. Unless it just depends on the device. No, I'm not giving up the IP rating. There has been various times I have dropped my phone in the shower or things like that and due to IP rating, it survived. I'm not the type to take my phone swimming or going deep sea diving with it. It's just strictly a thing to have IMO for the worst case scenarios.

I still prefer a phone that has faster charging.

I have such a love hate relationship with my Oneplus 8. I find that it is pretty smooth most of the time performance-wise. I do however HATE how for being an Android, the lack of customization options and it's not user friendly for me at all.

For example.. In my past experiences, with doing such like setting different clocks and their appearances on devices like LG and Samsung, you can pretty much customize it however you want or at least have different options for it. Not with my OP 8. The way the time is displayed on the lock screen is in this annoying format and that's how it is. Can't change it. Appearance-wise, there is very little customization options with the device available. That's one thing that makes me hate this device, along with the lack of headphone jack and expandable memory. I have looked into it online. I'm not the only one who seems to think this. Several people on the Oneplus message boards said this is one of the biggest drawbacks of using a Oneplus device is lack of customization.

If I was going to get a Oneplus device, I should have gotten the 8T instead. My device also has connectivity issues. Why is it hard to get a phone with actual good service? I work in the basement of a hospital, and in certain spots I can generally get service and some I can't. I was able to get it pretty decently with the Note 9. Not with the OP 8. In the same exact spots that I had service with the N9, I have no service at all with OP 8. There is WIFI, but doing certain things like sending files or data is not allowed through the connection. This is partly also why I need a phone that has at least a 25 watt fast charge, because being in this area all day I swear kills my battery. A lot of the time when I go home, I am under 50% left and I still have about 6 or 7 hours of the day left before I go to bed.

I am going to try out the V60 from T-Mobile and see how that goes.

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
I don't think that's for me personally. I need to be able to finance the device and that sounds like a straight unlocked, pay all up front purchase.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I believe the Asus ROG 5 phone has not only crazy good specs but also a headphone jack. Maybe this could be your next phone?
I can't speak for the current ROG phone, because they lost me after the first two releases. If you're in the U.S, you can forget about it unless they finally decided to make them VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling compatible. When the second one was released, it was DOA in the U.S. due to the coming CDMA and 3G shutdowns, and lack of VoLTE/Wi-Fi calling. The hundreds of complaints to Asus that they were marketing and selling a phone to the U.S. market that had no long term usefulness fell on deaf ears. From my understanding, the phone was technically capable for it, but Asus flat refused to pay for the U.S. carrier certification (or something to that effect).

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
Mooncatt, you use the V60 right? I feel like this is a very suitable device. I tried it for a short time but think I may have had a defective unit as I had some service issues on T-Mobile. I didn't really use it long enough to gather an opinion.

But there is a lot going for it honestly. Headphone jack with quad dac, expandable storage, big 6.8 inch FLAT display, 1080p panel, massive mAh battery with 25 watt charge, wireless charging capabilities, SUPER loud dual stereo speakers, 8K video recording, IP 68 rating and an actual Always on Display unlike my OnePlus 8. Seriously, I could go on and on. And that's without even mentioning the dual screen case which I didn't order due to being out of stock. Why is this device not more popular? Especially when it's hundreds of dollars cheaper compared to Samsung.

My favorite device that I have ever used and still have is the V30, so I know what LG is capable of. The headphone jack with the quad dac is outstanding for listening to music. I also like how much customization options you get with LG and Samsung personally. You can generally tweak whatever you want to whatever settings you want.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Why is this device not more popular? Especially when it's hundreds of dollars cheaper compared to Samsung.

I think it's two primary reasons. LG doesn't advertise as much as Samsung and Apple. Talk to the average person and they think Samsung is Android, and Android is Samsung. They don't even realize other Android options exist. The only real complaint I hear about LG is the lack of updates. Personally, I consider that a good thing, because too often I've had a more negative than positive outcome from OS updates. Heck, I've had the Android 11 update idling on my V60 for about 2 weeks now trying to get me to update, but I have zero desire to initiate it.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
LG V60 is going for $424 on Newegg. That is just an insane price. LG phones always drop in price but this is just unreal.

I wish I could have waited lol.

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
Yeah I dont care about updates. Its nice to not be forgotten about though.

I have Android 11 on my OP 8 and its meh. And bugs or glitches that may have been there before are still there.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I dont care about updates. Its nice to not be forgotten about though.

I have Android 11 on my OP 8 and its meh. And bugs or glitches that may have been there before are still there.

I agree that it's nice to not be forgotten about. I like having the updates and security patches. Makes me feel more secure in my usage.

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
It seems even on a phone as old as the S10+, you would still get some updates. That is very good if you ask me. I thought about purchasing an S10+ from Samsung used, but I can't bare with slow charging phones any more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aitana135332