Later Motorola

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Launch day buyer here. Overall this is the best phone I've used, primarily thanks to the long battery life with impressive screen on time. Unfortunately, around 30 days after I purchased, the mic died without reason one day. Verizon was nice enough to give me a new one and for the next year I had no complaints. Well, the mic died again last week, although it had a reason - I dropped it down my carpeted stairs in my house (5 steps). It wasn't particularly a bad drop, but it killed the microphone again. Prior to that the phone had never been dropped.

I see this as a quality flaw with moto. I've never had a hardware issue with any phone I've owned until now, and some of those previous phones had taken a beating. Moto wants $150 to fix, and that is simply not worth it. Even though it has been my favorite phone, I'm done with moto for a while.

(edit)

Last edited by a moderator:

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
As a person who takes very good care of his gadgets, I've never fallen for insurance. Waste of money when you don't lose or break phones, but maybe something to consider on moto phones.

Posted via Android Central App

bergys

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
I went through six maxx's before they edged me to the turbo. Every phone was something different. #1 (og) display crapped out (3 months old). #2 speaker (3 months old). Then it got crazy, pure, unadulterated warranty phone purgatory. 4 phones over a period of 2 weeks. #3 camera no worky, # 4 battery sucked. (I barely used all day (7am-4pm) and left work with 35 % battery, yuck.) #5 speaker would randomly crap out. #6 another bad battery. Verizon was very nice about it all and I was on a 1st name basis with my local store manager). So far so good with my turbo (3 months). So while I was in the 1 year timeframe, I would never not have insurance. I take care of my phones too, always in an otter box defender case only time I'd take it out would be it's weekly cleaning, no drops, no water, I just use the crap out of it. If I didn't have insurance I'd be s.o.l. if one of those phones lasted longer, because it seems the maxxs are very quirky and its not a question of if it will fail but when.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I've had no troubles with my Maxx, bought not long after launch, and while I'm not hard on it, I don't baby it either. No protectors or case. Not denying those who have had trouble, just saying it's not the case for everyone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Andy88488

May 20, 2014
Visit site
My Maxx's CDMA radio died, about a year after I got it. Verizon got me a replacement the next day. Not sure if that's because I bought the insurance, but they didn't charge me a deductible or a replacement charge.

bergys

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
Within a year, it's covered under manufacturer's warranty and if you have the insurance they will next day it to you. (Mine came from ft worth so I'm assuming its Motorola) After a year you have to deal with asurion and pay a $150 deductible and still get next day shipping.

Edit-price

Last edited:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I went through six maxx's before they edged me to the turbo. Every phone was something different. #1 (og) display crapped out (3 months old). #2 speaker (3 months old). Then it got crazy, pure, unadulterated warranty phone purgatory. 4 phones over a period of 2 weeks. #3 camera no worky, # 4 battery sucked. (I barely used all day (7am-4pm) and left work with 35 % battery, yuck.) #5 speaker would randomly crap out. #6 another bad battery. Verizon was very nice about it all and I was on a 1st name basis with my local store manager). So far so good with my turbo (3 months). So while I was in the 1 year timeframe, I would never not have insurance. I take care of my phones too, always in an otter box defender case only time I'd take it out would be it's weekly cleaning, no drops, no water, I just use the crap out of it. If I didn't have insurance I'd be s.o.l. if one of those phones lasted longer, because it seems the maxxs are very quirky and its not a question of if it will fail but when.

A similar thin happened to me with my RAZR Maxx.... had a warranty claim with Assurian and eventually after a few swaps there were no more RAZRs so they gave me a brand new Ultra Maxx

CrazyRussian007

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
One of the reason I pay for my gadgets via American Express which doubles the manufacturer warranty and, most often than not, gives you a full refund for the entire purchase.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa