Why doesn't my microphone work unless the headphone is plugged in?

Eric Shreve

May 11, 2015
Visit site
Microphone not working unless headphone is in

My microphone on my Droid Maxx will not work unless I plug my "Beats By Dre" in. Seeing if anyone has some suggestions to resolve this issue?
Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Microphone not working unless headphone is in

Welcome to Android Central! I assume you mean the primary phone mic, right? Can you make speakerphone calls? The speakerphone usually uses the secondary mic, so if people can hear you on speakerphone but not on the regular phone, then the primary phone mic has failed. You'd probably have to send it to a repair shop.

You've already tried rebooting, right? Or wiping the cache partition? https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/93895/p/30,6720,8697

Eric Shreve

May 11, 2015
Visit site

Tried wiping the cache partition and had no luck. Looks like a new phone or replacement will be necessary.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Do you see a headphone icon in the status bar, even if the headphones aren't plugged in? Sometimes a problem with the jack can make the phone think headphones are always plugged in, which prevents you from using the phone's earpiece or the speakerphone during a call.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38