Crack over capacitive back button

cucchiaio

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
I dropped my phone a couple of weeks ago, which resulted in a diagonal crack across the screen, including over the capacitive back button. Since then, the back button has seemingly developed a mind of its own. Even when my hands are nowhere near the button, the phone will act like the back button has been touched (often repeatedly). I've found that I can get on-screen back/home/recent apps buttons, so I was hoping that I might be able to turn off the capacitive buttons, but it looks like the only way to do that is to root the phone. Unfortunately, I'm running 4.4.4, and as far as I can tell, there isn't any way to root a Mini running 4.4.4 yet. Anyone have any other suggestions about how to disable the capacitive buttons (or know a way to root the phone, or generally any other bright ideas about how to deal with this problem)? Thanks!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The right way, of course, is to replace the screen.

The other way is o keep reading the Droid Mini section of XDA Forums until someone comes up with a root for it running 4.4.4.

cucchiaio

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, I tried replacing an iPad screen myself once, and the results were less than ideal, so I'm a little wary of trying that again. I haven't looked into getting someone else to replace it and how much that would cost.

Anyway, thanks for your response.

t0ked

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
With good condition Minis on ebay going for less than $100, might be better off just buying a new phone. I've heard screen replacements on the 2013 Droid line are tough and/or expensive. I've also never had a phone be just right after a screen replacement..