Want to dump Verizon

Kim F

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Okay, will make a long story SHORT. I have a Droid Pro and my contract expires next month with Verizon. I want to move to Straight Talk. Bare with me because I am totally cluless. Just need some answers here. Can I use my Droid Pro on Straight Talk? Or do I have to purchase one of the phones from Wal-Mart in order to get Straight Talk? Purpose of doing this is to stop paying over $100 month on my phone! Want to keep it around $50 without giving up the smart phone. I will eventually move to an iphone. For now I want to use what I have...if I can.

Does anyone have an idea if this is possible?

Keep it simple. I'm not a phone geek. I pick it up and use it. I plug it in and charge it. That is about it.

Thanks!!!
Kim

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Short answer: no, you can't use your Droid Pro on Straight Talk. There are two reasons for this. One reason is that the carriers use different network technologies and your Droid Pro isn't compatible. The 2nd reason is there is a new law that makes it illegal to unlock your phone without your carrier's (Verizon) permission.

If you are thinking about switching to a no contact plan, there are many options, and there are caveats that you should first consider about Straight Talk. First, like Verizon, a Straight Talk smartphone can only be used on Straight Talk. If you buy one, you will be stuck with them.

Second, Straight Talk doesn't have it's own physical network. They are what's called a "virtual network" because they use another carriers infrastructure. Straight Talk uses the AT&T and T-Mobile networks.

Because ST uses AT&T and T-Mobiles networks, they can be stingy about data. "Unlimited" data with ST is actually not unlimited. With the $45/mo plan, you actually have 2GB of data. After that, you can be throttled down to a lower speed or capped altogether so you get no more data that cycle.

So it really comes down to your personal habits. How much data do you need on your smartphone? Are you ok with being capped at 2GB? There are other options for no contract plans as well.

*edit* I based my answer assuming that you were in a metro area and would have other choices, however if you live in a rural/suburban area, that may not be so.

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums

Last edited: