Contemplating rooting to 2.2 Froyo

bojowaggie

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
Hello to fellow AC peeps.

I use dxTop and lately with some of there updates more often than not I get the error that says it is not responding and locks up my phone for a minute or so..
This is VERY frustrating.. :mad:
I love having the 5 screens that's pretty much the only reason I have dxTop..
I know that Froyo has 5 screens..
So god only know when Verizon will actually release Froyo...
So my question is, is it worth it to me to root my phone to Froyo. I have read that WiFi doesn't work, that's ok as I keep mine disabled anyways..

I have also read that Froyo the official release has 5 screens, does the rooted one?
For those of you that have done this transition what more will I gain?

Thanks.
Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
wifi works fine. The initial release had wifi removed to hide the source of the leak. All modern 2.2 roms are very stable and basically everything works. (wifi tethering is disabled because it takes you to a screen to sign up for verizon tethering plans)

Most roms I've tried (including the default 2.2 leak) have 5 screens, some have as high as 7.

You'll get quite a bit. The most obvious is 2.2 which is insane. Seriously, it makes your phone so smooth.

The second is over/underclocking. To do this, you'll need a paid app called SetCPU, which is well worth it. It will allow you to configure profiles about how your phone reacts . I have mine set to underclock the CPU when the screen is off to save on battery, and then I have an Overclocked Kernal (core of OS) to go faster when needed.

You'll gain the ability to skin your phone. Everything from the notification bar to how widgets look can be skinned to create a theme you want.

And finally, custom roms are addictive. For reference, I have the Cyanogen 2.2 release. if I am listening to music, I can long press on the volume buttons (with the screen locked) to skip a song. and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Remember, rooting WILL void your warranty, but it's very simple if you know how to read instructions, and once rooted it's almost impossible to ruin your phone.

dagostin

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
If you care about 5 screens the most, simply download ADW Launcher from the market. It is free and it destorys dxtop and most other launchers. I am runining froyo but I'm still running adw launcher on top. It has many screens as you want and it's way faster and more customizable.

bojowaggie

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
I put ADW on my phone and took dxTOP off the other day. So far I am diggin this app.
It seems a lot more stable than dxTOP.. I can get up to 7 screens..
Not that I need 7 but nice to have that option..
Also it has a LOT of customization too.. Very nice..
This is a APP i would pay for. Now all they need to do is get a few more theme's under there belt..

Thanks for all the suggestions..

Chillout80s

May 21, 2010
Visit site
I just rooted last night to 2.2 and I'm already addicted to roms, it's crazy how much fun they are. I would say if you're contemplating it then just do it. You'll open yourself up a to a whole new world of how well your phone can really work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa