changing boot animation

ips

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
I was just trying to change the boot animation on my droid using the following code in android terminal
su
mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
cp sdcard/bootanimation.zip /system/media
reboot

It replaced the original boot animation but instead of replacing it with the new animation nothing shows up at all besides the Motorola M and then the lock screen. Any idea what I did wrong

Im using this boot animation version .05
AllDroid - View topic - [Release] "Red Rage" Boot Animation v0.5 (2/08/10)

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
hmmm. I did something different. I downloaded the boot animation and placed it in the android / tools folder . then in cmd i did

adb push bootanimation.zip /data/local
then
adb reboot

ips

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
Im not using adb from the sdk because I cant seem to get it to play nice with the terminal on my macbook pro. I dont see why the code I used wouldnt work unless the boot animation.

EDIT: just rebooted and its using the original boot animation so I at least have that but i still dont know why my code didnt push the new boot to the phone and instead pushed a blank file

ips

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
it never recognizes adb push commands... ive tried adb-mac and just adb. when I open adb it runs but will not allow me to type and when I just open the terminal the above happens. Im semi new to using the terminal with the droid so I could just be doing something wrong. I put the droid in usb debugging mode beforehand which I assume i was supposed to do.

ips

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
I had it but I deleted it yesterday after getting frustrated with adb not working... I didnt think you could get adb without the sdk.

ips

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
I just re downloaded the sdk. I opened adb and it went through the process and said process complete but I can not type. I tried your command in the terminal and got the reply -bash: adb: command not found. Did the same thing for adb-mac and same results.

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
ok so lets start at the beginning, download the SDK. unzip it, place it on your desktop.

rename the main file as android.

place the boot animation in the tools folder.

then go to where you can highlight the tools folder, right click, go to get info and then copy the "where" line

then open up terminal with your droid connected to your computer

paste in the "where" line and press enter

then try the command listed above.

ips

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
This was the result of what you suggested
Last login: Thu Dec 10 21:03:07 on console
ian-saggeses-macbook-pro:~ iansaggese$ /Users/iansaggese/Desktop/android
-bash: /Users/iansaggese/Desktop/android: is a directory
ian-saggeses-macbook-pro:~ iansaggese$ adb push bootanimation.zip /data/local
-bash: adb: command not found
ian-saggeses-macbook-pro:~ iansaggese$

Seems the computer is not recognizing the adb push command.... Ill play around with it more but im still pretty lost

EDIT: I tried dragging adb into the terminal first from tools and then did the commands above with adb-mac and adb and it still says the commands are not recognized.

Last edited:

woahboi

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Ahhh... I can help here . I had big trouble trying to change mine. Took me all week. All the help I got was "do a search" or just adb blah blah blah. So...for me I found it easier to download Droid root helper from the market. Then plug your phone into the CPU.open to view files. Go to the tools folder on your sdcard and go into bootanimation. Remove the old one and replace it with the new one.now unmount and use phone To open droidroot helper and find the mount option with the number 4 and the go to flash boot animation choice then sync and reboot. Works with very little knowlage of anything but drag and drop. Let me know if it was ad easy for you as it was for me.

Last edited:

woahboi

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
No. I don't thinkso. Mine is called Droid root helper. Maybe its not from the market??? Just do a Google search for it.

Last edited:

ips

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
Tried installing the apk with astro...it was the only apk I could find and it didnt work so I guess it was a bad file to begin with. Where did you get droid root helper?

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Droid rooter helper is called droidrootpro (no spaces) in the market and another way maybe you have tried but use root explorer also found in the market. With root explorer just find the apk file on the sdcard and either just hit or long press and choose install that's how I changed mine.