Man im getting the "itch"...

CavemanOOGA

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Mind you, this is more so a rant than anything else:

Well Ive been interested in rooting and running custom ROM's for quite some time now. Ive read the stickied threads in this forum over and over again...but i'm never satisfied with the answers they provide me. Dont get me wrong, its definitely good information, but I more so want user information. They tell me how to do it, but what they dont tell me is if its worth the risk they lay out. I know thats a purely user based opinion...but thats why i'm here writing you a novel.

Heres the thing, I take pride in having my Droid (and/or gadgets for that matter) be completely stock and left the way it was when i first bought it. Heres the other thing, my curiosity is starting to get the very best of me when it comes to rooting. I WANT to take advantage of the custom ROM's are friendly neighborhood hackers have provided us...SOOO BAD. Then again, im afraid of the consequences that may come with doing so.

Ive done things in same realm as this before, aka, Ive jailbroken and unlocked multiple iPhone's before. But this seems a bit more complicated and risky than that. But it seems so appealing to me.

In my mind, i wanna root and flash the ROM just to know i can do it. Maybe ill return to stock, maybe i wont. Hell, for all i know i may NEVER go back to stock if something like DMUpdater is my thing. I constantly here good things about rooting, but with those good things come warnings like voided warranties and what not.

Has anyone else been this torn between this subject???

BoNg420

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
I was at first, but once you get nandroid installed and make a backup it would be damn near impossible to brick your phone. Now I believe that they have released the SBF file for droid, you can recover if you brick.

Always make nandroid backups of your stuff before you install or change something. This way you can just go to nandroid restore and restore the previous state. Usually this is good for when you change something and get stuck in a boot loop.

Really hard to brick your phone once you got nandroid installed and a backup. Only way you could probably brick it is by changing the bootloader or recovery and then bricking it or something like that. If you feel uneasy do the droidmod.org updater and it will be a breeze.

This post I linked below is very good and easy to follow.

Complete How-To Root, Busybox, Flash/Recovery, Framework-res.apk, custom boot ani... - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
Mind you, this is more so a rant than anything else:

Well Ive been interested in rooting and running custom ROM's for quite some time now. Ive read the stickied threads in this forum over and over again...but i'm never satisfied with the answers they provide me. Dont get me wrong, its definitely good information, but I more so want user information. They tell me how to do it, but what they dont tell me is if its worth the risk they lay out. I know thats a purely user based opinion...but thats why i'm here writing you a novel.

Heres the thing, I take pride in having my Droid (and/or gadgets for that matter) be completely stock and left the way it was when i first bought it. Heres the other thing, my curiosity is starting to get the very best of me when it comes to rooting. I WANT to take advantage of the custom ROM's are friendly neighborhood hackers have provided us...SOOO BAD. Then again, im afraid of the consequences that may come with doing so.

Ive done things in same realm as this before, aka, Ive jailbroken and unlocked multiple iPhone's before. But this seems a bit more complicated and risky than that. But it seems so appealing to me.

In my mind, i wanna root and flash the ROM just to know i can do it. Maybe ill return to stock, maybe i wont. Hell, for all i know i may NEVER go back to stock if something like DMUpdater is my thing. I constantly here good things about rooting, but with those good things come warnings like voided warranties and what not.

Has anyone else been this torn between this subject???

I totally hear you. I have always run my phones as stock (iPhone 3GS, Storm 2). I don't like to cause problems. First and foremost, a phone has to be rock stable.

However, I finally gave in and rooted my Droid and installed DroidMod 1.0.
The process was pretty much painless and took less time than I expected. Nearly completely automated except for a few choices to make.

At present, I'm running the DroidMod 1.0 ROM with the pinch-to-zoom browser, 5 home screens, animated wallpaper-capable (though I don't have it turned on) and overclocked to 800MHz. It's got some really nice features, like a transparent notifications drawer (about 50% opacity) so you can still see your app screen through it. Very nice.

Did it last night at about 8pm. So far, all good. We'll see how the battery life holds out -- not that great at stock mind you, so hopefully the 800MHz OC doesn't kill it. But I've set it to downclock to 250MHz when in standby, so hopefully that will offset any increased battery drain while in use. And I kept the OC on the lower end (not 1.0GHz or 1.2GHz) which hopefully should also help. I'll turn it down to 600MHz if it puts too much drain on the battery, which would still be a slight improvement from stock which I think is 550MHz.

But, unless 2.1 brings some killer features or offers substantially better battery life, I will likely stick with this for the time being.

Marine One#AC

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
I'm in the same position. I'm fairly computer savvy (for someone over 50) but have never rooted a phone. I went to DroidMod and downloaded DMupdater last night. Now I've got the icon in my drawer and am sitting here trying to decide if it's time to pull the trigger.....

Marine One#AC

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
At present, I'm running the DroidMod 1.0 ROM with the pinch-to-zoom browser, 5 home screens, animated wallpaper-capable (though I don't have it turned on) and overclocked to 800MHz. It's got some really nice features, like a transparent notifications drawer (about 50% opacity) so you can still see your app screen through it. Very nice.

Based on what I've quoted above from your post, am I to understand that the DroidMod 1.0 ROM contains 5 home screens and a transparent notifications drawer? I'm asking because I really want to keep this as simple as possible. I understand that I'll also need to download SetCPU to be able to adjust the overclocking, but would like, at least for now, to be able to download something and get back up and running with minimal effort. What specific packages, gallery music, etc. from the ROM did you install?

white_star_32

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
ROOT!! do it! ^_^

if you're still uncertain then use droidmod. very user friendly. if you're not sure what apps to install then use trial and error, you can reflash at anytime. (i personally use the 2.1 gallery, 2.1 music, and MT browser...even tho I use dolphin...). DM gets you all the basic root apps you need. from there you can flash images of other roms in nandroid if you want to do it the easy way.

it's too easy to get back to 'out of the box stock', so if you're afraid of warranties you can set that fear aside.

Marine One#AC

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
ROOT!! do it! ^_^

if you're still uncertain then use droidmod. very user friendly. if you're not sure what apps to install then use trial and error, you can reflash at anytime. (i personally use the 2.1 gallery, 2.1 music, and MT browser...even tho I use dolphin...). DM gets you all the basic root apps you need. from there you can flash images of other roms in nandroid if you want to do it the easy way.

it's too easy to get back to 'out of the box stock', so if you're afraid of warranties you can set that fear aside.

That's what I plan to do. Just trying to figure out what I get with it and what else I have to add. I'm guessing that once it's installed and running installing SetCPU is the same as downloading any other app from the marketplace?

CavemanOOGA

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Well if you didnt read my other thread, i finally gave in to peer pressure. :)

I must say, its friggin' amazing. Overclocking is out of this world.

5 home screens
Live wallpapers
New widgets
800mhz-1ghz
Pinch-to-zoom browser and gallery

...Absolutely love it. :)

Marine One#AC

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
Well if you didnt read my other thread, i finally gave in to peer pressure. :)

I must say, its friggin' amazing. Overclocking is out of this world.

5 home screens
Live wallpapers
New widgets
800mhz-1ghz
Pinch-to-zoom browser and gallery

...Absolutely love it. :)

How much of what you've listed here is part of the DroidMod 1.0, and what did you have to add to it?

Marine One#AC

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
OK. So I'm officially rooted. All went well. The directions at Loading DroidMod Roms with DMupdater, Reflashing to Older Sholes/DroidMod Roms were easy to follow and covered every detail. I will say that the length of time that the droid required to reboot after installing/uninstalling everything was a little unnerving. I was afraid I was caught in a loop but it worked out fine. I loaded the features suggested in the step-by-step directions at Loading DroidMod Roms with DMupdater, Reflashing to Older Sholes/DroidMod Roms, pluse the news & weather widget, and the live wallpaper, which after seeing I could live without. Just have two questions for the experts here. First, how do I access the 2.1 keyboard? I see no difference in the keyboard that comes up when I type an e-mail or something into the search engine on the google web page. Am I missing something here?
Second, is that the temperature on the 2.1 desk clock is showing only in celsius, although it appears to be set for farenheit. My guess is that there's a secret to changing this somewhere.
Thanks in advance for the help.
Tomorrow I'll go to the market and get the SetCPU app.

white_star_32

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
and 2.1 keyboard is the same keyboard as before - it's new feature is the voice dictation. you can write whole sentences with speech alone. pretty cool, but when i was using it i could never get a comma...i always got the word 'koma'

as far as the desk clock...i'm not sure - i never used mine so i went to check what it displays and it says it can't get the weather info. awesome.