Phone Dialer App... alternatives?

srt8-in-largo

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
Does anybody else dislike the phone app? Can this be replaced? Any suggestions?

How do you remove the people that the phone automatically puts on the speed dial list? How do I stop this from happening?

Is this the record for the number of questions in one post? :D

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure how you stop it from adding additional contacts to the speed dial... but if you "star" a contact, it puts them in favorites and they will always be at the top of the speed dial list.

srt8-in-largo

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
Is there another app that can be loaded and used as the phone interface?

The problem I have with the default one is that all of those speed dial contacts are placed right there in the "thumb area"... and barely tapping any one of them results immediately in a phone call being placed. It's really a PITA as far as phone interfaces go... which is my biggest surprise with this phone. Coming from Motorola I would think the phone interface app would be one of the best.

buildscapeinc

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I have used Dialer One for years. The developer actually stopped developing it a while ago for his latest app but it still works great & has lots of options & customization. I like it because it has the bottom half of the screen as the key pad & the top half can be favorites, recent or contacts. I'll try lots of different ones a few times a year but always come back to theis one.

Brian

stew72

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
I agree with you, I've randomly dialed several people when trying to click on the dial pad. It's a bit annoying.

Posted via the Android Central App

srt8-in-largo

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've looked at a couple of these, and some are not stand alone apps, right? Some of these appear to run on top of the default Lollipop dialer, which is ok I guess; it would eliminate the gripes I have by giving me a new phone interface but doesn't help my secondary goal of keeping app bloat to a minimum.

I'd like to disable the default dialer completely and have a new one the runs on its' own.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
...it would eliminate the gripes I have by giving me a new phone interface but doesn't help my secondary goal of keeping app bloat to a minimum.

I'd like to disable the default dialer completely and have a new one the runs on its' own.

I don't think that can happen with the dialer. Bloat is one thing, but finding a productivity app that makes your life easier is hardly what I'd call bloat. A small app takes maybe a dozen MB at most. Even on a 32GB phone that's a rounding error.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
I have used Contacts+ on my last phone and liked a lot about it. They have a separate Dialer+ app if you don't want their full suite.

srt8-in-largo

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
I don't think that can happen with the dialer. Bloat is one thing, but finding a productivity app that makes your life easier is hardly what I'd call bloat. A small app takes maybe a dozen MB at most. Even on a 32GB phone that's a rounding error.

Having two apps when you only need one is bloat, whether 1kB or 1GB.

If it's a system app that can't be replaced, they should remove the option for us to disable it, no?

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
All the replacement dialers actually run on top of the stock dialer. And you cannot delete the stock dialer. You would have to muck around deep in the OS to do that, beyond what even a root-enabled app can realistically do.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Something that might work for you, i use the direct dial widgets. I put my family and friends in one folder on a home screen and work in another folder.

This way i never really need to ooen the phone app or contact list.

This works for me a large part of the time.

Moto Droid Turbo 2

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
If it's a system app that can't be replaced, they should remove the option for us to disable it, no?

Although it's rare, some people buy phones that they don't want to work as phones. Some people keep a device after they have switched to another phone. They don't need the dialer.

srt8-in-largo

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
Thanks. When I get a call the only way to mute the ringer is to press the side button.

Is that how yours works?

That's lame. There should be a mute button on screen and maybe some other options like being able to answer on speaker phone.

Moto0685

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
Yeah the phone dialer could be better I agree, but I have never had a Motorola smartphone only HTC and LG I wish the the speaker and mute buttons where bigger or in a different spot

Posted via the Android Central App

srt8-in-largo

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
I saw in the manual today that it says you have to hit the side button to mute an incoming call. Wow. So I guess it's supposed to work that way.

Funny thing is that when the phone is LOCKED, you can hold and drag the incoming call to a pre-written text reply or to voicemail... but when the phone is NOT LOCKED, none of these options appear.

Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems more and more that the phone app was neglected in Lollipop development.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38