Broken Screen -- Free Replacement??

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
It continues to amaze me that in 2015, we still see so many broken device screens. I can see getting scratches, if carry with keys, etc, but to break from a simple fall. It just doesn't make sense.

More and more, phones are being built with edge to edge glass. Through about two or three years ago, there was always at least a small bezel around the phone to protect the glass from fracture when it was dropped or struck, to absorb some of the shock. Glass cannot absorb very much shock before it will fracture. Also, as displays have grown larger, they have been subject to more flex stress (sitting down with phone in your back pocket; leaning against a stone counter with the phone in your front pocket; as you mention, falling with the phone in your pocket; etc.) And hardening glass to reduce scratches (which is generally good, as scratches introduce small weaknesses for future fracture) creates a more brittle glass.

I prefer a good bumper style case with a good shock absorbing gel-like material (like the Tech21 case, which is too bad that it isn't a true bumper, but the edges are great protection) over anything like Otterbox or Lifeproof myself, as I think those cases make these large phones even larger and I'm not sure that they absorb shock as well anyway. And I always put a Zagg or Skinomi style skin over the glass so that if it does fracture I can still use the screen until I have a chance to replace it.

this_is_nascar

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Agree with most comments. In 2015, I don't feel we should have to put a case or protector on a $600+ device for it to survive a 3' fall. It just doesn't make sense. As consumers, we are the problem, as we continue to purchase these products, as they are. Shame on us.

Anyone see the commercial about with the Amazon Fire (or something similar) surviving the fall off the roof of the SUV? Why are we not demanding this from our phones?

Sent from my Droid Turbo 64-gig from Tapatalk.

88horizon5speed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
It has been tried with the tough phones, the problem is when you drop it, it still gets dinged up. A case more protects the resale value of the phone, so even if it wouldn't have broken it wont even be scratched.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Agree with most comments. In 2015, I don't feel we should have to put a case or protector on a $600+ device for it to survive a 3' fall. It just doesn't make sense. As consumers, we are the problem, as we continue to purchase these products, as they are. Shame on us.

Anyone see the commercial about with the Amazon Fire (or something similar) surviving the fall off the roof of the SUV? Why are we not demanding this from our phones?

Sent from my Droid Turbo 64-gig from Tapatalk.

That's because all consumers want is extremely thin phones which are bound to be fragile. And Glass isn't exactly shatterproof no matter how you look at it.

mohit9206

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
That's because all consumers want is extremely thin phones which are bound to be fragile. And Glass isn't exactly shatterproof no matter how you look at it.
Then why don't they use bulletproof grade glass? Am sure those who pay $600-1000 for a phone wouldn't mind paying extra for that.

88horizon5speed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
most people dont pay the FULL retail price for the phone. Yes it is that expensive but most people get a 2 year contract. I got my 64gb for 250 and paid 100 for a lifeproof.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Then why don't they use bulletproof grade glass? Am sure those who pay $600-1000 for a phone wouldn't mind paying extra for that.

I'm not sure, but probably because of one of these reasons:

It may be that it is much more expensive to make

It may be that it is impossible to make at the amounts required for the numbers of phones made

It may be that the bulletproof glass, while good at stopping projectiles from passing through it, it not so good at functioning as a thin, transparent, slightly flexible display glass. Bulletproof glass still shatters when struck by bullets - it just either stops them from passing through, or at least slows them down.

Bulletproof glass, when used in functions where it is meant to stop bullets - automobiles, windows, etc. - is usually very thick, right?

this_is_nascar

May 25, 2012
Visit site
I just saw yet another Kindle Fire commercial last night where they showed one of their tablet devices falling and bouncing off the ground, without issue. How about building a phone with whatever material they're using? It's obvious that the products/materials are available.

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I hate to admit it, but I've dropped this phone more than any other phone I've had -- maybe I'm just getting more clumsy in my old age (actually, strike the "maybe"). I dropped it this morning in my driveway. A solid 3 and a half foot dive, and I think I even fumbled it a bit to give it that extra launch into the air to ensure maximum disaster at impact.

The good news is the phone is "fine" -- no screen breakage and no functionality issues. The bad news is that I do now have two battle scars on the top and bottom right corners. Driveways are coarse, so I wasn't too surprised. It isn't real obvious -- you have to look to notice. I know, "a case would have prevented that". I don't care, I'm still carrying naked until I break a screen.

Also, this thing is a tank.

88horizon5speed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I think Motorola's in general are tanks. Any Motorola droid I have seen has a good build quality, certainly better than that if Samsung. Samsung's feel really cheap, Motorola's feel solid.

Toes Up

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Let me guess, you were probably getting in or out of your car with a bunch of stuff in your hand, or something like that. I haven't had a scary drop yet with my naked Turbo, but I will. It's only a matter of time!

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Let me guess, you were probably getting in or out of your car with a bunch of stuff in your hand, or something like that. I haven't had a scary drop yet with my naked Turbo, but I will. It's only a matter of time!
Bingo (or close enough - on my way to the car). I was coming down the stairs when I realized I had set my home alarm incorrectly, and was fishing my phone out to cancel and reset the alarm.

Andrew Smith24

May 1, 2015
Visit site
Does the free screen replacement work for phones that were bought on ebay? I bought one "brand new" off ebay, dropped it 2 days ago, screen cracked and no display. Anybody know? thanks!

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Does the free screen replacement work for phones that were bought on ebay? I bought one "brand new" off ebay, dropped it 2 days ago, screen cracked and no display. Anybody know? thanks!

You'd have to call and find out. I wouldn't think so but if the retailer was legitimate and you are the first owner it may cover you. Call Verizon Wireless and inquire about a replacement. I recommend not saying where you bought the device just in case because some representatives may be a bit odd about that.

Verizon Customer Care just opened a few minutes ago, or at least they are by me (Central Time).

asbarrett

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
It all depends on how it impacts the ground (or whatever it hits). If it hits in such a way that focuses the forces into a small area (an edge), it will increase the chances of the screen breaking. I've bounced many phones off things over the years, and I got lucky MOST of the time. My 2013 Moto X fell out of my shirt pocket barely one foot from the ground, and hit in such a way that put a small nick in the glass. Two hours later that nick spread into a crack. You will never have a perfectly protected phone, no matter what the case is. It's just how it is with glass screens. If they could make a plastic screen that wasn't terrible feeling, that would be nice.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I gave my daughter my droid turbo and she broke the screen, took it to the verizon store and they ordered me a like new replacement. No hassle, and when the new one came in i put it in an otterbox defender lol.

The replacement policy worked great, the only hold up was the weather delayed us getting the replacement by a few days.

Props to motorola and verizon on that one.

** gotta love old threads brought back to life**

Note4 Verizon

John B7

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
I just dropped m y Droid Turbo from around 3 feet onto the hardwood floor and the screen cracked.... grrr... As I'm leaving the country in a few days, I need it fixed or a replacement FAST. I'll call a Verizon store as soon as they open. Now time to find a better case...

Axel_Smith420

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
I dropped my verizon powered Turbo a week ago and had heard of Motorola replacing the phone due to a broken screen. Apparently, this was true... Went in store on Tuesday afternoon, had "new" phone in mail Friday. They say it's hard to crack the Corning Ware gorilla glass, and they'll supply you with a replacement ONCE. If my screen breaks again, I'll have to pony up on insurance.

Posted via the Android Central App