DROID ULTRA will be upgraded to KitKat (Android 4.4)

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
According to Punit Soni, they are skipping 4.3 and going straight to 4.4
"We are moving directly to 4.4. I dont like to discuss timing. It just puts a lot of stress on the team, and there is always a chance we find something which delays us a bit.
Rest assured, we are on it. You have seen the speed with which we are moving as a Google company, that shall continue"
I'm loving the new Google owned Moto
https://plus.google.com/+PunitSoni/posts/LAKKMnEE6CQ

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Google can say what it wants, but doesn't Verizon havea hand in the release as well? It's not like Google controls VZWs servers and networks for the rollout. VZW is traditionally really slow.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Google can say what it wants, but doesn't Verizon havea hand in the release as well? It's not like Google controls VZWs servers and networks for the rollout. VZW is traditionally really slow.

Pretty sure Verizon's influence has already been taking into account. It would be terribly short-sighted of them to say with certainty that a device will get a particular update without considering the gatekeepers in the process.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

AFAIK, the updates aren't pushed from Verizon's servers. They're not even reliant on Verizon's networks as you have been able to take an OTA via Wi-Fi. (See DROID RAZR/DROID RAZR MAXX update that got "accidentally" pushed out, Motorola fault - not Verizon's).

Even still, this is why Motorola also hasn't given a timeframe like HTC has.

Westiemom

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
According to Punit Soni, they are skipping 4.3 and going straight to 4.4
"We are moving directly to 4.4. I dont like to discuss timing. It just puts a lot of stress on the team, and there is always a chance we find something which delays us a bit.
Rest assured, we are on it. You have seen the speed with which we are moving as a Google company, that shall continue"
I'm loving the new Google owned Moto
https://plus.google.com/+PunitSoni/posts/LAKKMnEE6CQ

I was wondering if they'd skip 4.3. Looks like they are then.....good to know, thanks!

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
AFAIK, the updates aren't pushed from Verizon's servers. They're not even reliant on Verizon's networks as you have been able to take an OTA via Wi-Fi. (See DROID RAZR/DROID RAZR MAXX update that got "accidentally" pushed out, Motorola fault - not Verizon's).

Even still, this is why Motorola also hasn't given a timeframe like HTC has.

Since Verizon has to pass on any OS updates - since they dabble around in it when it's put on their devices - they are going to have to fiddle with this one too. It's always been that way. Google puts out an update, and the other carriers end up with it long before VZW gets it. They control the OS that gets released to devices on their network, and if they feel it's not ready, it will not be released. And it takes forever for VZW to be satisfied.

Unless you are really new here, you know the pattern by now. It's not unusual for VZW to be, at times, two releases behind ATT and Sprint. Go ask the people on the Droid Razr forums how long it took them to get 4.1!

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Pretty sure Verizon's influence has already been taking into account. It would be terribly short-sighted of them to say with certainty that a device will get a particular update without considering the gatekeepers in the process.

VZW is also known for giving out a release date, then delaying it for one reason or another. Sorry to be a naysayer, but I've seen the pattern too often to be optimistic about VZW behaving in any way other than they always have. Heck, ALSO go ask the people on the BB Z10 forums how long it took VZW to release 10.1! They were MONTHS behind other carriers.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
VZW is also known for giving out a release date, then delaying it for one reason or another. Sorry to be a naysayer, but I've seen the pattern too often to be optimistic about VZW behaving in any way other than they always have. Heck, ALSO go ask the people on the BB Z10 forums how long it took VZW to release 10.1! They were MONTHS behind other carriers.

Could you post an example for an Android phone?

Posted via Android Central App

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I did in a post one earlier. The Droid RazrHD and HD Maxx was updated VERY late, and was delayed by VZW. So don't hold your breath. I hope 4.4 comes quickly (although 4.2 seems just fine), ut given VZWs track record, I wouldn't take any bets even if they issue a date.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
And oh yeah - go look at the 8X windows phone forum. VZW people are having kittens because, of course, VZW is late on the GDR3 release.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Since Verizon has to pass on any OS updates - since they dabble around in it when it's put on their devices - they are going to have to fiddle with this one too. It's always been that way. Google puts out an update, and the other carriers end up with it long before VZW gets it. They control the OS that gets released to devices on their network, and if they feel it's not ready, it will not be released. And it takes forever for VZW to be satisfied.

Unless you are really new here, you know the pattern by now. It's not unusual for VZW to be, at times, two releases behind ATT and Sprint. Go ask the people on the Droid Razr forums how long it took them to get 4.1!

But that's not what I'm talking about. The actual update, the ZIP file itself - AFAIK is hosted on a Google and/or Motorola server AND they do have the ability to push an update out without Verizon. Of course, Verizon is going to have to approve the update and give their blessing. But the process of actually (physically?) delivering an update seems to not require Verizon.

My comments were directed specifically at this line.

It's not like Google controls VZWs servers and networks for the rollout.

I know what you're saying. I waited patiently for updates for my DROID Bionic.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

Oh, I fully expect it's going to take a while to get the update, and probably a while after the Moto X gets it, especially on other carriers. I just don't think Motorola would say that we're getting 4.4, and then not follow through on that. I expect Verizon to delay it, but not to kill it.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
And oh yeah - go look at the 8X windows phone forum. VZW people are having kittens because, of course, VZW is late on the GDR3 release.

Did they announce a date for that or are you just saying late relative to other carriers?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I did in a post one earlier. The Droid RazrHD and HD Maxx was updated VERY late, and was delayed by VZW. So don't hold your breath. I hope 4.4 comes quickly (although 4.2 seems just fine), ut given VZWs track record, I wouldn't take any bets even if they issue a date.

IIRC, Motorola and Verizon will give general timeframes, like Q4 2012, when they're working on the update. As it gets closer, that may change to a "roll out began December 2013" posting.

purplehaze50o

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
The Ultra, MAXX better get 4.4, Its not even 3 months old! lol Would be a tragedy if Motorola didn't update these devices. Better yet imagine if Motorola Didn't update these devices but Updates the Moto X....that would be bad lol

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The Ultra, MAXX better get 4.4, Its not even 3 months old! lol Would be a tragedy if Motorola didn't update these devices. Better yet imagine if Motorola Didn't update these devices but Updates the Moto X....that would be bad lol

Uh. Yeah. Which is why the MINI, ULTRA, and MAXX are all getting 4.4. :)

purplehaze50o

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Uh. Yeah. Which is why the MINI, ULTRA, and MAXX are all getting 4.4. :)

Yes but remember...This is Verizon we're dealing with...the same company that has the only HTC One that is not updated to 4.3 and the same Verizon notoriously known for not supporting rather new Flagship devices....Example HTC Droid DNA was released last year on 4.1 and a year later guess what it is still on....So never put it past Verizon. I work for them and if somebody comes in and knows anything about Android I tell them whatever phone they purchase DO NOT purchase it with hopes of getting an update. Buy the phone with all intentions that It will NEVER get any updates because even though you could be buying there latest flagship holy grail device in 3 months from now it could have no developer support and will be listed for 49.99 on amazon.com lol

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Yes but remember...This is Verizon we're dealing with...the same company that has the only HTC One that is not updated to 4.3 and the same Verizon notoriously known for not supporting rather new Flagship devices....Example HTC Droid DNA was released last year on 4.1 and a year later guess what it is still on....So never put it past Verizon. I work for them and if somebody comes in and knows anything about Android I tell them whatever phone they purchase DO NOT purchase it with hopes of getting an update. Buy the phone with all intentions that It will NEVER get any updates because even though you could be buying there latest flagship holy grail device in 3 months from now it could have no developer support and will be listed for 49.99 on amazon.com lol

Could you link me to where HTC and/or Verizon specifically stated that the DROID DNA would be getting an update?

purplehaze50o

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
The Droid DNA is getting an update supposedly to 4.4 what I am saying is you can not trust Verizon on anything. Verizon And HTC has promised the DNA would get 4.2, then 2 months ago Verizon confirmed the HTC Would Get 4.3...now Verizon and HTC Confirm it will get 4.4 KitKat...You can beleive it though. I tell my customer dont hold you breathe. The Droid Incredible 2 was PROMISED and GUARANTEED Android 4.0.4 ICS, HTC went as far as even releasing an Verizon Change Log for ICS for the Droid Incredible 2....That phone reached the EOL last year and is forever staying on 2.3 gingerbread...My point being Verizon And HTC can promise and guarantee you anything they want. Untill You officially have the update on your device through an OTA do not count on it.

Droid DNA Android 4.4 KitKat Update Confirmed - Gotta Be Mobile

That is the link stating DROID DNA will get 4.4 kitkat..