Is there an app for this?

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Is there an app that can change the voice on Google Navigation? I heard on the regular GPS units there is a way to use Celebrity or famous voices. A friend of mine told me his friend had George Bush doing the voice directions on his GPS and it was very funny. Looking for something Similar for my Google Navigation on my X.

Sailmaker

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
SVOX works and is free, but you have to buy individual voices. Each language gives you choice of 3 male & 2 female voices. I have the female voice (Grace) and it IS much better than the female Darth Vader that comes with stock Navigation voice. SVOX allows you to change pitch of each voice.

jerseyboy357

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
SVOX works and is free, but you have to buy individual voices. Each language gives you choice of 3 male & 2 female voices. I have the female voice (Grace) and it IS much better than the female Darth Vader that comes with stock Navigation voice. SVOX allows you to change pitch of each voice.

Did you say "female Darth Vader?" lol

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Well, I just read the reviews on SVOX and someone said it doesn't work on Gingerbread, so not sure I want to try it if I have to pay for a voice and it doesn't work. Thanks for the recommendation though Sailmaker. Was really looking for a choice of voices which they have for the Garmins and regular GPS units, like celebrities, cartoon characters, and such. Was looking for a Funny voice. Guess Android hasn't come that far yet.

Sailmaker

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Well, I just read the reviews on SVOX and someone said it doesn't work on Gingerbread, so not sure I want to try it if I have to pay for a voice and it doesn't work. Thanks for the recommendation though Sailmaker. Was really looking for a choice of voices which they have for the Garmins and regular GPS units, like celebrities, cartoon characters, and such. Was looking for a Funny voice. Guess Android hasn't come that far yet.
I am running latest GB .602. SVOX seems to work fine on my DroidX

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Oh I haven't downloaded the newest update, since I've had some problems with the original OTA GB update. Kind of want to wait awhile and see what problems people are having.

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Did you say "female Darth Vader?" lol
It's strange to think that some folks are going to read this and think: "I am so there.

I don't mind the female Darth Vadar voice per se, though now that I come to think of it, it might be fun if they could get James Earl Jones to do all the voice recordings in character. "mmmmmmmm....hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...Turn right on South Canfield...see to this personally....hhhhhhmmmmmmmmm....". And why not, after all. They used his gravitas-laden voice on Verizon's 411 system for years.

On the other hand what's with the absurd phonetic pronunciations? Turn right on Ess See-pull-veed-ah BLIVD. Or anytime the map say "ave." for "avenue" the navigation voice pronounces it as "a-VAY"! Are they kidding us? And it's not "Ess", it's "South"! I know English isn't the easiest language in which to have a computer read and pronounce thousands of different street and place names, but couldn't they have programmed it to pronounce the directional component of street names--as well as the suffixes?

I shouldn't complain. At least now I have navigation working.

Last edited: