hdmi video

bmaner_AC

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
when i use the dock to watch video on my edtv via moto dock it is sooooo grainy looking...anybody else think the video is not up to par on the x ? :(

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
What videos are you playing? I haven't watched any through the HDMI cable but I heard the only HD video playback would be through videos that were recorded on the phone. I don't know if that's true but just what I've heard going around.

dvader

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
i recorded some video of my kid at the family cook out this weekend, in daylight and in 720 HD.
I got my micro HDMI cable in the mail today and when i played the video back, I didn't think it looked as good as it should have, it did seem a bit grainy and weak.

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I heard the only HD video playback would be through videos that were recorded on the phone.

Not true, you can playback any non-DRM-enabled videos. So you can play what you record with the phone (of course!), videos you create with other programs (I use DVDFab to convert my DVDs to MP4 files and they play just fine), but not videos you buy from places like Amazon or probably iTunes.

i recorded some video of my kid at the family cook out this weekend, in daylight and in 720 HD.

I don't think this is an HDMI issue, it's an issue with trying to fit that many pixels into a camera phone. The quality of video (especially HD video) on a any phone is pretty lacking compared to even a small handheld dedicated video camera. To check out the HDMI quality, try playing a good video clip. While I haven't played too much, and only on my small monitor (when compared to a 60" TV) the HDMI functionality is pretty decent. The camera, on the other hand, won't be replacing my Nikon D200 anytime soon but I have been able to improve the quality and color through appropriate manual tweaks. Unfortunately this is very scene dependent and if you're not interested in pro videography it'll probably be too much trouble to learn.

bmaner_AC

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply's. I did know I had 480p with the EDTV and when i play back video that i recorded on the phone while outside in great lighting..well that looks great. It is the indoor video and low light pictures that are so grainy..I guess I expected more from the phone.

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Indoor video is the worst, small pixels lead to "noise" (essentially a pixel that's supposed to be dark gets hit with random electromagnetic interference and changes color for that frame). Sadly your best bet to fix this when shooting with the phone is better lighting - but you'd spend way more on bulky lighting that you would on a dedicated video camera. :(

Here's to the death of the megapixel wars - I'd rather have high quality 480p than mediocre 720p/1080p!

bmaner_AC

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Indoor video is the worst, small pixels lead to "noise" (essentially a pixel that's supposed to be dark gets hit with random electromagnetic interference and changes color for that frame). Sadly your best bet to fix this when shooting with the phone is better lighting - but you'd spend way more on bulky lighting that you would on a dedicated video camera. :(

Here's to the death of the megapixel wars - I'd rather have high quality 480p than mediocre 720p/1080p!

I agree 100%. Thanks for sharing !