GPS not working at all.

Draumo

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I've had the X since release and everything's been great, but I'm pretty sure the GPS is not working at all. It's normally about 1000-4000 meters off. I have "Use wireless networks" "Use GPS satellites" and "Enable Assisted GPS" all checked. Any combination of them produces the same results. When I turn off "Use wireless networks" it can't find me at all. I downloaded the GPS Status app and it constantly has a red rotating circle in the status area. No info about satellites at all. I've tried cycling the GPS and restarting the phone, still iffy.

I've also downloaded the latest update.

Any ideas?

Draumo

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I ran a couple speed tests, my average 3g speeds are around 1500kbps download and 840 upload with pings around 130. This is my first smartphone and other than this GPS problem I'm 100% satisfied with the X.

lesscryptic

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I ran a couple speed tests, my average 3g speeds are around 1500kbps download and 840 upload with pings around 130. This is my first smartphone and other than this GPS problem I'm 100% satisfied with the X.

yeah that destroys mine, im constantly stuck on 1x

i kind of thought my gps problem and 3g problems were related

i really hope getting a new phone fixes both problems

if the entire dc metropolitan area is a droid x dead zone, i will be sad

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
On my X I have no problem with the GPS or Navigation app. However when I tried it on my girlfriends, totally different situation. Her GPS could NOT get ahold of any satellites. I find it odd because we tried her GPS on the exact same route I tried mine, and where mine connected and tracked me perfectly hers was inaccurate out 1000 meters, and couldn't keep up. It found her initially and drew us on the map, then never updated our position again until we closed the app and reloaded. Then it just kept doing the same thing. I have to tinker with hers some more to make sure it DOES work and she wasn't just having bad luck. Boo for defective hardware

alphanu22

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
make sure you have view of the sky- dont use GPS indoors, i know for fact mine dont work inside when im at work. go outside and it works-

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Ok Draumo I had my girlfriend try her GPS that wasn't working the other day, and apparently its working A-OK for her right now. I really don't know what the problem could be. I'd like to tell you it isn't hardware related but its always a looming possibility :( hopefully you get it worked out. As a side thought, can you try it at night? I have this wierd feeling my gut that peek hour operation and all the other people out there messing around with the networks might be affecting it... couldn't hurt to try right? Just to know your device is functioning and the problem isn't on your end.

schizrade

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
A stand alone GPS antenna should NOT be affected by a cellular network in any way. They are completely unrelated. GPS is a passive system that picks up signals from orbiting satellites. I can take as much as 5-10 minutes to get satellite data and the system to register and process it. Give it a good 10 minutes.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
A stand alone GPS antenna should NOT be affected by a cellular network in any way. They are completely unrelated. GPS is a passive system that picks up signals from orbiting satellites. I can take as much as 5-10 minutes to get satellite data and the system to register and process it. Give it a good 10 minutes.

Thanks schiz for the info. As much as my technical side didn't believe it could be affected by network traffic I figured it was worth a shot anyway. It just seemed too coincidental that for me both successful attempts to use GPS were at night, and my girlfriends one failed attempt was midday in peak hours, and the coincidence felt too right and clouded my technical judgment :p

Ah well so much for that. I guess just stand outside with a tin-foil hat on for 10 minutes Draumo and see if you make contact!

schizrade

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Thanks schiz for the info. As much as my technical side didn't believe it could be affected by network traffic I figured it was worth a shot anyway. It just seemed too coincidental that for me both successful attempts to use GPS were at night, and my girlfriends one failed attempt was midday in peak hours, and the coincidence felt too right and clouded my technical judgment :p

Ah well so much for that. I guess just stand outside with a tin-foil hat on for 10 minutes Draumo and see if you make contact!

LOL. No problem. I have lots of experience with commercial and military grade GPS/INS systems, and they can be very fidgety at times.

Kansas

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I was also having problems all week trying to get my GPS to lock on. Some times it would find my location but other times it would never be able to find me. The thing I did notice is the GPS power widget doesn't seem to work correctly. It will turn off "Use wireless networks", "Use GPS satellites", and "Enable Assisted GPS", but when you us it to turn GPS back on it only turns on "Use GPS satellites" and leaves "Use wireless networks", and "Enable Assisted GPS" off. I think that is the reason why I was having problems.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non