Blackberry user just ordered my Droid X.

sleeping giant

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
hello fellow ex-BB users ^_^

came from a Tour9630 to droid x and i am nothing short of impressed and amazed. the os is smoother, faster, and cleaner.

also, many of you will read that getting a task killer will make your phone run faster.. someone explained to me in another thread that is not the case as the android os works differently from what we are used to in BB where we would have to kill programs to increase memory on BB while android's is different. if you kill a task on android, it cost more battery power due to increase cpu usage in starting it up.

dont get any task killers!

wamphryi

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Just got off the phone with VZ marketing and "cashed" in my early upgrade offer. Leaving a storm 1 (cringe) for a new X! Now I just have to hope I get it before they "quoted" ship date of 8/25.

sleeping giant

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Just got off the phone with VZ marketing and "cashed" in my early upgrade offer. Leaving a storm 1 (cringe) for a new X! Now I just have to hope I get it before they "quoted" ship date of 8/25.

it'll ship earlier for you i think. i ordered mine on 7/25 and got it on 7/27 when it was advertised on backorder till 8/3

ClaudiaP

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I came from BlackBerry too, a Tour and I spent a couple of weeks reading several droid x forums while I waited for it to arrive. When it arrived I started re-reading tips and tricks threads with my X close at hand and following along on the X with some of the tips.

I think I would advise you to play with it as it comes for a day or so before you start downloading a bunch of apps. Take a little time to get used to it before making too many changes.

It comes with a stock Facebook app that you may or may not like, but don't jump to download a new one until you play with the stock one for a while, it also comes with a news app that works from the beginning along with one for tips and tricks.

One thing you need to do is to go into your email program on your computer, the one that syncs your contacts to your BB, export your contacts to a csv file and then import that into your gmail account.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't download apps or make major changes, just take a little time to get used to your droid x first and make changes that suit you not someone who doesn't even know you.

Pay extra attention to the tips about battery cycling and settings, those will take you a long way.

I was pretty comfortable with my x by day 2, no longer feeling lost or confused.

One app I will recommend to BB users is Beautiful Widgets, it is what BerryWeather should have been.
I have yet to have anyone here really explain what it does other than the pretty part, but it is a powerful weather app.
Tap on the sun or moon and it brings up a forecast page, tap on one of the days and that brings up accuweather which has links to both a video forecast and doppler radar, there are also settings to use the gps if you desire.

You may feel a bit lost at first but it won't take long to realize that this phone is great. For me it is everything I had hoped my Tour would be (and wasn't) and way way more.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I found that watching some of the videos on youtube (search for Droid X) were extremely helpful to someone coming from bb. You'll get a great sense of how you can navigate through the phone and what some of the apps out there do.

Mahbles

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I've been on a Curve 8330 for the past three years and I placed my Droid X order on 8/5. I know I'm going to love the Droid X, but I'm going to miss BBM with the wife, so for that I'm going to install Google Talk on her 8330, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to miss the physical keyboard. Any crackberry user can attest, their physical keyboards are awesome!

DMandroid

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Verizon better hurry up and get this thing to me. With each day I feel like I'm going to miss my Tour more and more and should cancel the order . . . . .

Jigmeister

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
DMandroid - we ordered on the same day. Let's see who gets theirs first. I'm kinda wondering why I put myself though this pain. I love my Storm 2 and if it wasn't for the speed difference (browser and most apps) I'd just stay put for now...

Anyway.... still waiting.

Dragoneer

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
DMandroid, I guess I joined the club as well. ;)

Coming from Storm 9530, I haven't missed it one bit since the day my X arrived. But I dunno about you because S2 is like 50 times better than S1.

UnicyclistRobe

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I love you my BlackBerry, but I know that I will love my Droid X more. What really pushed me over was the browser. I just need a better browser than my BB offers.

The tips so far have been great. Keep them coming. This thread is going to make the transition nice and smooth.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo