Can someone teach me?

ddodge68

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Ok...I just got my Droid X recently. One of my minor frustrations is in the phone dialer. Why can't I just start typing someone from my contact list's name, on the dial pad, and have it recognize it? If I want to call Scott, I should be able to dial 72688, and it would find Scott. Is there a setting for this, that I'm must not finding?

Thanks very much

tucker973

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
You can also use contacts and type in plain text and not cryptic numbers... or create a speed dial for that contact, or place a widget on the home screen to dial that contact... There are about a hundred million ways to dial someone, you've just got to find the one that works quickest for you.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I use Dialer One (free from the market). It does a great job of pulling your contacts as you enter the letters/numbers, much like the bb dialer.

ddodge68

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the options, tucker, however I have about 800 contacts on my phone (it's my work phone), and I just want to be able start typing the person's name. From the contacts tab, I still have to go to "search", before I can start typing. So instead of just hitting the phone button, and starting typing, I have to hit the phone tab, then the contacts tab, then the "menu" key, then the search tab, then start typing. Too many steps, when all I want is to place a call.

jordans0nly

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
That's the thing that gets me about the Android OS. Seems like you have to get apps for it to work like a phone should work anyway.

hemiguy37

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the options, tucker, however I have about 800 contacts on my phone (it's my work phone), and I just want to be able start typing the person's name. From the contacts tab, I still have to go to "search", before I can start typing. So instead of just hitting the phone button, and starting typing, I have to hit the phone tab, then the contacts tab, then the "menu" key, then the search tab, then start typing. Too many steps, when all I want is to place a call.

I just hit the phone button and then the magnifying button on the hard keys and start typing. 1 extra step but not that bad, and the people in my list are shown that match.

ddodge68

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I just hit the phone button and then the magnifying button on the hard keys and start typing. 1 extra step but not that bad, and the people in my list are shown that match.

On my phone, this does the same thing as just going to the Google search widget. In an ideal world, it would work like any other phone. If I want to call Scott for example, I start dialing 726...and it will probably already have it narrowed down by then. This should not be that hard, it doesn't seem...most other phones do it.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
you can also just hit the search button from the homescreen(or type into the search widget if you're using it)

the universal search indexes your contacts, so if you hit search from the main screen and start typing the name, it'll pull up your contact. that's the quickest way for me to get to someone's number

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Or you can get Google Gesture Search.

open it, scribble "s" on the screen, click scott, click green phone button.

less clicks than typing 72688 or any other method.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
On my phone, this does the same thing as just going to the Google search widget. In an ideal world, it would work like any other phone. If I want to call Scott for example, I start dialing 726...and it will probably already have it narrowed down by then. This should not be that hard, it doesn't seem...most other phones do it.

As I said earlier in your post, what you want is Dialer One (free). It does exactly what you're describing, click the phone icon, dial 726 and anyone with Scott in their first or last name comes up.

roberte1342

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
I just go to the contacts tab and press and hold menu to bring up the virtual keyboard and type.
But yeah, coming from a Palm Centro I was spoiled by just typing a name. But like any new thing there are learning curves that come with it.
I'm already used to doing it this way, but I'm sure one of the previously mentioned apps will do what you want.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Ok...I just got my Droid X recently. One of my minor frustrations is in the phone dialer. Why can't I just start typing someone from my contact list's name, on the dial pad, and have it recognize it? If I want to call Scott, I should be able to dial 72688, and it would find Scott. Is there a setting for this, that I'm must not finding?

Thanks very much

The Evo and other HTC phones have this feature. Unfortunately, the Motorola Droids don't seem to. I don't know why Motorola left this out. I don't use T-9 myself, but I can appreciate the frustration for those that do and are used to doing lookups that way.

Bushido Brown

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
This one costs. I shouldn't have to buy a phone dialer that works.... Yes, I came from Blackberry, but most phones work this way. Start typing a name...it should recognize it.
It works exactly in the capacity that you described. The solution to your problem is about $2.50 away. If that is unreasonable, then my next suggestion would be to sell your phone, and buy one that doesn't condemn you with the burden of breaking a whole 5 dollar bill.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
The Evo and other HTC phones have this feature. Unfortunately, the Motorola Droids don't seem to. I don't know why Motorola left this out. I don't use T-9 myself, but I can appreciate the frustration for those that do and are used to doing lookups that way.

motorola didn't leave it out as a feature, it's something that htc implemented into their sense UI overlay.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
motorola didn't leave it out as a feature, it's something that htc implemented into their sense UI overlay.
Which means Motorola left it out, since they also use a UI overlay (MotoBlur, etc.).

I assume this is not a feature on the native Android phone dialer. If it is, then that proves further that Motorola's overlay is lacking the feature.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo